You are here

Arturia Keystep Pro

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Arturia Keystep Pro

Postby Dave B » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:50 pm

Just noticed this being launched at NAMM.

Ooh err - that's a bit good. I already have a Beatstep Pro and am mightily impressed. And I know that Chevvy is rather fond of his ickle (original) Keystep. But this is a nice marriage of the two. And it seems like they've really got a nice feature set and stores are saying that it's only 340quid rrp.

I may have to be an early adopter ;)
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Re: Arturia Keystep Pro

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:53 am

If I didn't have everything covered with other stuff, I'd be all over it myself I suspect. It does look very good, and I'd be interested to hear how you find it if you get one!
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby Chevytraveller » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:24 am

It's interesting but really just a Beatstep Pro with a keyboard... As I already have 2 Keysteps and a BSP this doesn't really offer me anything...

Seems a little pricey for what it is, especially with the Novation SL Mk3 having full size keys and many more features for not that much more

:bouncy:
Chevytraveller
Frequent Poster
Soft: MBP 15", X-Station, LogicX, Mainstage 3, Korg legacy, Diva, Alchemy, FabFilter.
Hard: Mostly now all for sale.. but Akai MPC Live, Tasty Chips Gr-1, Roland Promars, AS Telemark,  Eurocrack disease

Postby Ben Asaro » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:39 am

This thing is brilliant, but I already have two KeySteps and a BeatStep Pro. Otherwise I would be all about this! The BSP is not only a great sequencer it's also a great MIDI/CV converter. The only Plus for me is the additional sequencing lane, so maybe I'll get it at some point, but as of now it's not an insta-buy.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave B » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:19 am

Chevytraveller wrote:Seems a little pricey for what it is, especially with the Novation SL Mk3 having full size keys and many more features for not that much more

(makes note to take another look at the SL mk3 .... ;) )
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby nathanscribe » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:14 pm

My main gripe with the BSP is that you can't change the clock sync from the panel - the only way to change from, say, 1 pulse per step to Sync24, is by hooking it up to a computer, opening the software tool, navigating to the right option, and selecting it in a dropdown menu. If you need to do this in the middle of something where you are *not* hooked up to a computer, you can't. That simple. Hiding something so fundamental to a device supposed to be capable of being a central control tool for analogue gear basically crippled it for me. They don't immediately appear to have fixed this on the KSP.
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Postby Ben Asaro » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:11 pm

I don’t know if that’s a need many people have. I’ve never had to change the sync after initially setting it up. Huh, I guess different use cases = different need set!

Of course, they cannot include everything on the panel; for me it would be the 0V pitch setting. Different VCOs operate at different 0V note value and it would be awesome to be able to adjust this on the fly.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby nathanscribe » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:11 pm

Also a valid point! I can understand why they make decisions about certain features like this, but, as you say, everybody will have different needs and preferences. It's a shame they can't just make everything button combos etc.
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
I have no idea what I'm doing.