You are here

Keyboard to interface cable

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Keyboard to interface cable

Postby nickle15 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:22 pm

Hello all,

I have upgraded my usb interface as my old rig lacked the necessary inputs. I now have a focusrite Scarlett 18i8. So I will be running left and right channels from the Korg Trinity to the interface and will use two of the inputs. Does it matter whether I use 1/4 stereo cables vs 1/4 mono cables? Any recommendations would help a lot.

Also I have the spdif output on the Trinity and a corresponding input on the interface. Is this an option that makes any more sense than the 1/4 output/input route?

As always, thanks for the help!
nickle15
Poster

Re: Keyboard to interface cable

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:31 pm

As far as I know, the Trinity has unbalanced outputs, so standard TS instrument cables will be fine.

You could, alternatively (or as well as), use the digital out to connect to the interface, but remember to set the interface to use the digital input as its clocking reference.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby nickle15 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:22 pm

Perfect. That’s what I needed to know. I really appreciate the help!
nickle15
Poster

Postby The Elf » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:10 pm

nickle15 wrote:I will be running left and right channels from the Korg Trinity to the interface and will use two of the inputs. Does it matter whether I use 1/4 stereo cables vs 1/4 mono cables?
Sorry to be pedantic, but what you're describing are balanced (not 'stereo') and unbalanced (not 'mono') cables.

It's not important to this discussion, but it pays to understand what you're referring to for future reference - getting these things mixed up can cause you a few headaches!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby nickle15 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:16 pm

The Elf wrote:
nickle15 wrote:I will be running left and right channels from the Korg Trinity to the interface and will use two of the inputs. Does it matter whether I use 1/4 stereo cables vs 1/4 mono cables?
Sorry to be pedantic, but what you're describing are balanced (not 'stereo') and unbalanced (not 'mono') cables.

It's not important to this discussion, but it pays to understand what you're referring to for future reference - getting these things mixed up can cause you a few headaches!

I’ll try to adjust my terminology. Thanks for the help!
nickle15
Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:39 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:You could, alternatively (or as well as), use the digital out to connect to the interface, but remember to set the interface to use the digital input as its clocking reference.

If you use the S/PDIF on the HDR-TRI expansion card, be aware that the clock frequency is fixed at 48Khz and cannot be changed (the same is true of the ADAT interface on the DI-TRI).

The Trinity is a lovely thing. Enjoy!
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby nickle15 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:51 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:
Hugh Robjohns wrote:You could, alternatively (or as well as), use the digital out to connect to the interface, but remember to set the interface to use the digital input as its clocking reference.

If you use the S/PDIF on the HDR-TRI expansion card, be aware that the clock frequency is fixed at 48Khz and cannot be changed (the same is true of the ADAT interface on the DI-TRI).

Perfect - thanks!! Do you know if there are any advantages to using spdif over regular instrument cables?
nickle15
Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:16 pm

nickle15 wrote:
Eddy Deegan wrote:

Perfect - thanks!! Do you know if there are any advantages to using spdif over regular instrument cables?

Once set up, S/PDIF is a nice option because you only need one very thin cable for the stereo output instead of two instrument cables and as the Trinity has an optical interface it's not going to be affected by interference. It also sidesteps the D/A converters in the Trinity itself, and the corresponding A/D conversion in your interface so you'll get the most pristine output from it. That said, the quality difference is probably inaudible to the vast majority of people (I can't tell the difference).

There may or may not be an additional benefit in that the optical cable is non-conductive which means that the output from the Trinity is isolated from the interface and thus you're less likely to experience hum from ground loops (at least I think this is the case - I'm not an expert on that side of things by any stretch of the imagination).

The downside is that you need to have an interface that's happy to work with the 48Khz from the Trinity and depending on your use case you may end up having to do some rate conversion at a later date, though this is mostly handled by the DAW.

I used to use the S/PDIF output, though these days I tend to use analogue connectivity for everything as I've got a lot more synths than I used to and it keeps everything standard in my studio.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.

Postby nickle15 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:13 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:
nickle15 wrote:
Eddy Deegan wrote:

Thanks! I just got it last month and I’m looking forward to getting it properly installed in my recording process. Sounds like the spdif might be an experiment worth trying. Thanks so much for the tips!

Once set up, S/PDIF is a nice option because you only need one very thin cable for the stereo output instead of two instrument cables and as the Trinity has an optical interface it's not going to be affected by interference. It also sidesteps the D/A converters in the Trinity itself, and the corresponding A/D conversion in your interface so you'll get the most pristine output from it. That said, the quality difference is probably inaudible to the vast majority of people (I can't tell the difference).

There may or may not be an additional benefit in that the optical cable is non-conductive which means that the output from the Trinity is isolated from the interface and thus you're less likely to experience hum from ground loops (at least I think this is the case - I'm not an expert on that side of things by any stretch of the imagination).

The downside is that you need to have an interface that's happy to work with the 48Khz from the Trinity and depending on your use case you may end up having to do some rate conversion at a later date, though this is mostly handled by the DAW.

I used to use the S/PDIF output, though these days I tend to use analogue connectivity for everything as I've got a lot more synths than I used to and it keeps everything standard in my studio.
nickle15
Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:19 pm

nickle15 wrote:Thanks! I just got it last month and I’m looking forward to getting it properly installed in my recording process. Sounds like the spdif might be an experiment worth trying. Thanks so much for the tips!

You're welcome :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.