You are here

How to be a true professional ...

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

How to be a true professional ...

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:50 pm

If you prepare the wrong piano concerto and only find out on stage after the orchestra has started to play in front of the audience, panic, then perfectly deliver under pressure something you were not expecting to, then I think that counts as true professionalism :-)

https://youtu.be/fS64pb0XnbI?t=44
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Re: How to be a true professional ...

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:04 pm

:clap: I know concert pianists will have played most things and will have a large repertoire in their head at any one time... but to recover from that massive shock and still deliver superbly well is seriously impressive.

I bet there were some fruity exchanges in the green room afterwards.... :lol:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby The Elf » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:15 pm

True story...

I turned up to play flute at a school concert and sat myself at the side of my friend, ready to begin. She gave me a quizzical look, but I didn't think anything amiss. The headmaster introduced us and we stood up to play - and as I looked down at my music I realised I was sitting with the wrong orchestra.

I did learn to mime pretty quickly, though.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:19 pm

The Elf wrote:I did learn to mime pretty quickly, though.

:clap: :lol:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.

Postby Folderol » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:21 pm

Quite astonishing recovery. In spite of her obvious distress she came up with a beautifully fluid performance :clap:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:29 pm

Folderol wrote:Quite astonishing recovery. In spite of her obvious distress she came up with a beautifully fluid performance :clap:

Having a repertoire comes with the territory of course, and I can't speak for other pianists but in my experience it's often the case that one lets the ability to play a specific work 'decay' slightly as you are focussing on other things, but periodically come back to it to brush up.

I'm not surprised she had in her repertiore the concerto she wasn't expecting to play, but that she could abruptly play it so beautifully under that pressure and in such a formal public context is seriously impressive!
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.

Postby Ben Asaro » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:29 pm

Good lord, what a nightmare scenario! Maria Joao Pires is a legend, staggering turn around and performance!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby IAA » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:15 pm

Maria Joao Pires is a legend, staggering turn around and performance!

I’d seen this before, but it still awes me,the look in her eyes as she realises it’s the wrong concerto :o

I watched a Proms live a few years ago and the Mozart concerto the soloist was playing was going well until she had a blank on the soft phrases in the Andante, BUT she kept playing (a different series of notes) until the finger memory came back! If you weren’t very familiar with the piece you probably wouldn’t notice at all. Therein lies another lesson for live playing....one I’ve resorted to times many, including a complete verse in a different key to the rest of the band....
IAA
Regular

Postby CS70 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:25 pm

Marvelous! :shock:
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:15 pm

;) Of course, a true professional would have made sure they read the concert billing beforehand.... But it was an impressive recovery.
Hugh Robjohns

Postby BJG145 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:37 am

I can't listen to this just yet but it sounds amazing. I could imagine surprise and possibly fear bringing fresh impetus to a performance, but, a piano concerto...? Er...
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:56 pm

Here's another layer of professionalism, when a pianist notices an unforeseen malfunction with the piano pedal at the very beginning of her recital, and turns it into an impromptu comedy performance ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBbRTRBY4D4

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:11 pm

Very good.... but I'm sure there were several H&S violations when going down and up on that stage lift. :silent: :lol:
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:12 pm

Martin Walker wrote:Here's another layer of professionalism, when a pianist notices an unforeseen malfunction with the piano pedal at the very beginning of her recital, and turns it into an impromptu comedy performance ;)

Fantastic :clap: :clap: :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.

Postby Folderol » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:06 pm

Absolutely brilliant :clap: :clap: :clap:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Arpangel » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:33 am

I can remember when I went to see Bob Dylan at Hammersmith Palais, the band started one song and he sang another, he was going through a drink phase I think, as standing up seemed a bit of a challenge too, he sorted it in the end though.
I also saw him at Wembley Stadium too, more or less the same behaviour, the word "professional" is something to avoid sometimes, and a lot of people deliberately avoid be so sometimes.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby CS70 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:10 am

Arpangel wrote:I can remember when I went to see Bob Dylan at Hammersmith Palais, the band started one song and he sang another, he was going through a drink phase I think, as standing up seemed a bit of a challenge too, he sorted it in the end though.
I also saw him at Wembley Stadium too, more or less the same behaviour, the word "professional" is something to avoid sometimes, and a lot of people deliberately avoid be so sometimes.

So long people keep coming, anything you do is professional :D
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby DGL. » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:04 pm

Rick Wakeman, when telling his band what song they were going to start with this time, told each member a different song, culminating in a complete mess as unlike when only one part of the band get's it wrong it's near impossible to recover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8jPyLQqkF4

Oh, and the figure skating piece from the White Rock album was done completely ad-lib after forgetting that that piece was still to do and thinking he had finished.
He decided to do a piano piece and the video the music was to go to was played, everything seemed to be going well until he felt that the piece of music was coming to a natural end, luckily at that point the video ended! Unfortunatly said piece became a minor hit in europe, and as such he would be expected to perform it, that meant that he had to transcribe it from the recording, not too easy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqeI03hqa4c
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:30 pm

Martin Walker wrote:Here's another layer of professionalism, when a pianist notices an unforeseen malfunction with the piano pedal at the very beginning of her recital, and turns it into an impromptu comedy performance ;)

Martin

Love it.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dancing Queen - feel the heat from the tangerine, ooh yeah!"

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby blinddrew » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:43 pm

Arpangel wrote:I can remember when I went to see Bob Dylan at Hammersmith Palais, the band started one song and he sang another, he was going through a drink phase I think, as standing up seemed a bit of a challenge too, he sorted it in the end though.
Went to a Pogues gig and had a very similar experience with Shane McGowan - ended up with him sleeping on the stage and Spider Stacey took over on the vocals. I don't think it was water in that glass...
Shortly afterwards they fired him.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Next