You are here

Modular or no modular?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Modular or no modular?

Postby Arpangel » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:54 am

Since I got out of modular, about a year ago, all has been fine. But I’ve still got a little box of Eurorack modules in the basement, ones that I just couldn’t part with, unique ones.
Now I’ve got an itch to put them into a small case and and to start using them again.
I don’t know what to do? I can see me getting into it again, even a small selection of modules can keep you occupied for ages, and I can see a major diversion occurring, which wouldn’t be good, as I’m now making major progress with my Buchla.
Should I just do what I should have done in the first place, and just sold all of the modules?
Or, give it another go?
I’ll leave it up yo you to make the decision for me, I’ll do whatever the majority decide.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: Modular or no modular?

Postby N i g e l » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:03 pm

"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so", but its all we have and we dont have much.
Have you decided what you want to trade your time for - noodling fun or a solid target ?
One idea is to concentrate on the Buchla until you are the master of the machine, then come back to the unique modules and revaluate them. The downside to that is that the modular trend will have passed by or been superceeded by a Nord Modular type device and the unique modules will have reduced in revenue potential.
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:37 pm

To modular or not to modular? That is the question. Whether it is nobler to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous hipsters or to take up eurorack against a sea of time and by opposing, end them? The heartache and the thousand unpatched ideas that flesh is heir to.

The answer is to modular. Always, to modular. :)
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:37 pm

That’s it, I’m selling them.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:27 pm

Life's too short, do that which you enjoy.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Arpangel » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:19 am

When I had my modular I always got the impression that the journey was an end in itself, and the returns were very small in proportion to the time I put in.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:17 pm

Hey Tony :wave:

No promises but if you have decided to sell them, feel free to drop me a PM with the list of modules and what you're after for them. I'm in the process of expanding my modular a bit and would be interested to have a look-see.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:19 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:Hey Tony :wave:

No promises but if you have decided to sell them, feel free to drop me a PM with the list of modules and what you're after for them. I'm in the process of expanding my modular a bit and would be interested to have a look-see.

Aha - on Facebook yesterday someone in Brighton just placed an advert trying to sell some Eurorack modules. Shame you're not on Facebook ;)

I'll see if I can get listings of what's on sale and a contact email for you.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:21 pm

Martin Walker wrote:Aha - on Facebook yesterday someone in Brighton just placed an advert trying to sell some Eurorack modules. Shame you're not on Facebook ;)

I'll see if I can get listings of what's on sale and a contact email for you.

Thanks Martin! It never hurts to have a look :)
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:29 pm

Hi Eddy,

OK, the guy's name is Lewis Renshaw.

Apparently everything in this case is for sale apart from the instruo cs-l

"The case will also be for sale, it’s an Erica alu travel case, very powerful for those high voltage modules! Message for more details or make me an offer. If you buy more than one module I’ll do a discount...."

If anything looks interesting to you, I'm happy to PM him on Facebook for a contact email.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:08 pm

Hmm, there are definitely one or two things in there that I'd be interested in potentially. If you could pass him my email address, or get one from him then I'll have a chat and see if we can work out something.

Thanks again Martin!
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works

Postby Arpangel » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:59 am

Hi Eddy, I’m going to keep them, I can’t bring myself to sell them really. They aren’t worth that much money so.
I have a 4 ms Noise Swash, the graphics are hand painted and really beautiful, plus a Snazzy Effects Dream Boat, Harvestman Kermit, and some Doepfer utility stuff.
I’ll probably some time in the future just bung them into a small case and use them with my Buchla, I think that’s the best thing to do.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:22 pm

Arpangel wrote:Hi Eddy, I’m going to keep them, I can’t bring myself to sell them really. They aren’t worth that much money so.
I have a 4 ms Noise Swash, the graphics are hand painted and really beautiful, plus a Snazzy Effects Dream Boat, Harvestman Kermit, and some Doepfer utility stuff.
I’ll probably some time in the future just bung them into a small case and use them with my Buchla, I think that’s the best thing to do.

I think that's a great idea Tony :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:15 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:Hmm, there are definitely one or two things in there that I'd be interested in potentially. If you could pass him my email address, or get one from him then I'll have a chat and see if we can work out something.

Thanks again Martin!

I've passed on your email address to Lewis via Facecrack, so hopefully he will get in touch :thumbup:

UPDATE: Eddy - Lewis has already replied to my Facebook PM to say he's emailed you directly, so check your spam folder if nothing has arrived.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:17 pm

Martin Walker wrote:UPDATE: Eddy - Lewis has already replied to my Facebook PM to say he's emailed you directly, so check your spam folder if nothing has arrived.

Got the mail just now, thanks VERY much Martin!
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works

Next