You are here

Alight, Eddy Deegan -- challenge accepted! (Steve Reich inspired chip phase inside)

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Alight, Eddy Deegan -- challenge accepted! (Steve Reich inspired chip phase inside)

Postby Ben Asaro » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:00 am

I know you were disappointed that I cut out the more drone-y parts from my last song and I mentioned that the next one would definitely have a return to that vast, meandering bloat, but in a more structured format; here it is!

https://soundcloud.com/asfollowswriting ... ay-demo-21

A few quick notes: the very beginning is the vector synthesis drone I posted in an earlier thread (not the same music, I played it live again for this one). When the piece 'picks up', I drew on some of my favourite composers: Steve Reich, John Adams, Philip Glass. There is a four note ostinato that plays on the chiptune synths but they slowly drift out of phase (more on how I did that in a moment) while a live synth plays an 8-note ostinato along with it. Keeping time on the live synth was really challenging!

How I achieved the phasing: I wrote the 4-note motive in one track of the NerdSeq. I then cloned it and on the clone I shorted the overall length of the pattern by 4 pulses (20ppq instead of 24ppq). This causes the clone to play very slightly faster than the original pattern. As they drift apart, you start to hear auditory illusions where it sounds like the number of notes playing in the patterns is different, but they're not, it's exactly the same thing played over and over.

Anyway, hope you enjoy it, it's particularly nerdy but a strong opening to the piece, I think.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Re: Alight, Eddy Deegan -- challenge accepted! (Steve Reich inspired chip phase inside)

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:34 am

Nice piece Ben, very nice.

Talk of ostinato though . . . has me on a frantic search for what I'm led to believe is the longest ostinato ever committed to record. It was by one of the following artists I think, but I can't pin it down at the mo';

Jóhann Jóhannsson

Eluvium

Just like a steering-wheel attached to my wee chap, it's driving me nuts! You're probably familiar with those guys so maybe you can identify the artist and track I'm thinking of? 'Course, it might be a different artist entirely!
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Re: Alight, Eddy Deegan -- challenge accepted! (Steve Reich inspired chip phase inside)

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:34 pm

Ooh, I just saw this ... I'm excited. I'll ping back as soon as I've had a chance to listen :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby Ben Asaro » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:59 pm

n o i s e f l e ur wrote:Nice piece Ben, very nice.
Thanks! Still in the early stages but I'm liking where it's headed.

Talk of ostinato though . . . has me on a frantic search for what I'm led to believe is the longest ostinato ever committed to record. It was by one of the following artists I think, but I can't pin it down at the mo';
Wow, you got me on that one ... It sounds like something Ligetti would do, though.

Jóhann Jóhannsson

Eluvium
I am familiar with Johannsson, but not Eluvium.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:06 pm

I really like this, and the drifting sync on the chiptune sound sounds very good to me!

I think the track from 3:50 or so could do with some additional things to avoid a feeling of repetition, because although the sounds are lovely and there is the interest of that drifting sync over the beautiful ostinato it does start to sound monotonous after the first sync 'drifts' back round to where it started and my ears were looking for more to latch on to.

I think some interesting spot FX/vocal samples, or additional parts weaving around the root note would mitigate that quite well.

Great work :clap:

Edit: I see you mention its still a work in progress. That's good - I didn't pick up on that from the original post. I love how it's going though and look forward to seeing where you take it!
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.

Postby Ben Asaro » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:16 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:I really like this, and the drifting sync on the chiptune sound sounds very good to me!
It's a mind-fudge for sure lol

I think the track from 3:50 or so could do with ... [lots of good advice here]
Oh yeah, I've only just begun laying this particular piece of cloth out to see what can be done. Now that I have an actual performance of it I can experiment with layering. It took many takes to get a decent performance of the ostinato on the TX7; about halfway through my timing and focus would drift. Takes a lot of discipline for human to play like a machine lol.

Great work :clap:
Thanks! It's definitely one of the more "out-there" compositional techniques I've tried and it was a challenge finding an ostinato that works regardless of how far out of phase the voices are, as well as working with other layers. Took lots of experimenting (like, weeks) to get something I actually liked.

Edit: I see you mention its still a work in progress. That's good - I didn't pick up on that from the original post. I love how it's going though and look forward to seeing where you take it!
Yup, slowly the gears turn lol. We have our first rehearsal this Saturday for the first piece (Dying sun); 6 hours booked at a studio in the Lower East Side of Manhattan -- that will be an interesting experiment on its own lol.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:15 pm

I'm loving this Ben, even in its current state. There are points when the shorter timing of the higher part seems to pull everything else apart, but it resolves itself within the next 20 seconds or so on each occasion. Strange experience!

It reminded me strongly of a track that I owned on a vinyl album a lifetime ago - 'The Soft Weed Factor' from Soft Machine 6:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU8n2HgT9B4

Not so much drifting out of phase as ostinato that drifts into solos.

Looking forward to seeing how this track of yours develops 8-)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Ben Asaro » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:36 pm

Thanks, Martin!

There is definitely a limit to how much you can stack up before it collapses under its own weight (which could also be interesting). I released a song a few years back called Galactic Entropy which is literally about the galaxy's last gasp of life and I wrote it as a chord progression which repeats over and over but at a slower tempo each time (It also has themes from Asimov's Foundation trilogy in there). That was a fun experiment in writing within very set restrictions.

https://soundcloud.com/as-follows/galactic-entropy
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:38 am

I've listened to this a few times now and it continues to grow on me.

Apart from that amazing drone patch running through it, I've just realised how much I like the vocal sample at the start of the track, and the echo applied to it. It's perfect!

Really digging it and as I said before, I'm very much looking forward to hearing where it goes.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:40 am

To say I'm liking this would be an understatement.

The transitions between the quiet sections and the energetic proggy sections are great! They keep the mind wondering and the interest keen. The range of sounds in here is excellent, and that ethereal vocal-esque panning patch at 10:43 is exquisite.

The break at 14:00 is quirky and inspired, and the transition following it to the satisfyingly Frost-like vocal with the bigger backing slamming in comes at exactly the the right time.

I could go on, but there is so much to like. You nailed that one for sure. Is it available for download or purchase anywhere? I want this in my library!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.

Postby Ben Asaro » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:51 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:

I've listened to this a few times now and it continues to grow on me.

Apart from that amazing drone patch running through it, I've just realised how much I like the vocal sample at the start of the track, and the echo applied to it. It's perfect!
Thanks for the kind words! There will be more of the spoken word since the song is based on the movie that those snippets are taken from. (Logan's Run; one of my favorite dystopian future movies, and it has a cracking score as well)

Really digging it and as I said before, I'm very much looking forward to hearing where it goes.
Thanks! I have a basic idea of where it's going but I think I'll be as surprised as everyone else where it ends up lol.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:53 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:

To say I'm liking this would be an understatement.

The transitions between the quiet sections and the energetic proggy sections are great! They keep the mind wondering and the interest keen. The range of sounds in here is excellent, and that ethereal vocal-esque panning patch at 10:43 is exquisite.

The break at 14:00 is quirky and inspired, and the transition following it to the satisfyingly Frost-like vocal with the bigger backing slamming in comes at exactly the the right time.

I could go on, but there is so much to like. You nailed that one for sure. Is it available for download or purchase anywhere? I want this in my library!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbup:
[bows deeply]

Wow ... thanks so much for listening and for the kind feedback, it's really appreciated. Besides the first album, everything else I've released the past few years is available here, https://store.cdbaby.com/Artist/AsFollows

I think you can also stream some of the stuff on Spotify and what have you, and I'm pretty sure you can play the songs on CD Baby as well without having to purchase anything.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:46 pm

Brilliant.. and duly purchased this morning as I was rushing to get stuff packed for a trip :thumbup:

I'll check out the other tracks when I'm back at a computer and not sitting in a car.

Cheers Ben
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.

Postby Ben Asaro » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:36 pm

Thanks, that's appreciated! Would definitely love to hear your expert opinion on my little ditties. :)
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:35 pm

Sorry Ben, another hopefully not too unwelcome sidetrack here, but I wanted to set the record straight on my original post.

It wasn't actually ostinato on the track I had in mind at all, but ritardando - and the track in question is "Fordlândia" by Jóhann Jóhannsson.

Originally I had a third possible artist / band on my list, before I quickly dismissed the notion and edited my post and that was Collections of Colonies of Bees . . . the source of my confusion was that that band has a track with some stunning guitar work (Flocks I) that I had thought were arpeggios but reading an interview with Chris Rosenau one day he corrected the interviewer on the same error and introduced me to the term "ostinato".

Somehow this all jumbled up in my head over time and here we are!

I thoroughly recommend you check out Eluvium though, as based on listening to your own piece I think you'd really enjoy it, particularly the album Copia.

Also, thumbs up for Logan's Run! Not entirely sure I see it as a dystopian vison anymore mind you.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby Ben Asaro » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:10 pm

Thanks so much for the recommendation, I've written it down and will definitely get round to checking it out this week!

Re: Logan's Run ... hmmm ... a future society where everyone is ritually murdered at the age of 30 and told they are being 'renewed' but in actuality new babies are being vat-grown ... umma stick with 'dytopian' lol. :) It is absolutely one of my favorite sci fi movies. But don't read the books, however -- they're absolute rubbish!

Did you know there was a short lived Logan's Run television show after the movie was released?
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:24 pm

Yep, watched the series when it was on TV at the time and of course my young self thought it was the business! I probably saw the TV show before the movie actually. Of course, my older self notes that it comes up short in the Jenny Agutter department.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby Ben Asaro » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:37 pm

LOL!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster