You are here

Golden rule of selling a keyboard.

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Golden rule of selling a keyboard.

Postby Random Guitarist » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:10 pm

Don't play the blessed thing before you advertise it.

I was 100% divorced from an old Alesis fusion, ready to let it go. It's big and heavy, and I have more modern keyboards. Time to sell.

So I turned it on to check it was sellable. Then, like a fool, I browsed through some of the presets on it.

I now have; three new riffs to build out from, a strong sense that I can't get rid of it, a serious shortage of space, and a disapproving partner.

Am I just indecisive and easily swayed from common sense? How do you get a keyboard out the door without sobbing and regret?
Random Guitarist
Frequent Poster
I've never liked a solo violin, you need at least five for a proper fire.

Re: Golden rule of selling a keyboard.

Postby Watchmaker » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:18 am

Random Guitarist wrote:How do you get a keyboard out the door without sobbing and regret?

Scotch
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby Arpangel » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:35 am

If you’re in any doubt, or slightly unsure about selling something, don’t, but in my experience, even if you do end up selling, you’re sure to be in a situation where you need that thing again, at some point, so unless you really need the money, hold onto stuff, it makes sense in the end.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:42 am

I agree. I've only sold 2 keyboards in my life, and none in the last 25 years. I've given away the same number but only for space reasons. Finding a good home for them with someone I know is preferable to selling them.

I've also traded a couple... that works too.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:00 am

I've got a JV1010 module. Got a JV1080 loaded with cards as well so I don't need both and only yesterday I'd decided to put it up on ebay. Then I had an experience which I guess is not typical here. I mentioned it to my wife and she immediately forbade me from selling. Her reasoning is that her band might be able to use it sometime in the future. So it's gone back in the cupboard.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby Arpangel » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:12 am

ConcertinaChap wrote:I've got a JV1010 module. Got a JV1080 loaded with cards as well so I don't need both and only yesterday I'd decided to put it up on ebay. Then I had an experience which I guess is not typical here. I mentioned it to my wife and she immediately forbade me from selling. Her reasoning is that her band might be able to use it sometime in the future. So it's gone back in the cupboard.

CC

My partner is like that too, it’s opposite of normal, I have to sneak stuff out, not in!
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Elf » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:55 am

I really know what you mean - happens to me every time!

I hated the Kronos in so many ways, but it was the best feeling non-weighted keyboard in my studio; the aftertouch was THE best I've ever had. I had a tough time letting go because of that.

Synths I regret selling? It's a blessedly short list, TBH. I really liked the simple immediacy of my Kurzweil K2000, and there are some here that know I always regretted selling my Kawai K1r - some of my very favourite layered sounds only appear when fairy dusted with K1r!

But yes, every time I line up to sell something, I give it a try and find that one reason to keep it. Sigh... :headbang:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby IAA » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:59 am

My Jupiter 6 years ago. It was heavy and hard to gig with. I can’t believe now i let it go. I’ve sold other keyboards but generally always if I have a target purchase in mind and it’s not adding anything. I sold my voyager because I knew I was getting a model d. Don’t regret that at all!
IAA
Frequent Poster

Postby Logarhythm » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:48 am

Eddy Deegan wrote: Finding a good home for them with someone I know is preferable to selling them.
+1 for this - good to see one go to a home where you know it'll be appreciated :thumbup:
Failing that, selling collection only or delivering in person can help - the genuine childlike excitement on the face of the buyer as their new toy is handed over definitely helps ;)
Logarhythm
Frequent Poster
Location: On an intergalactic voyage to collect fresh electrons

Postby CS70 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:16 pm

Random Guitarist wrote:Am I just indecisive and easily swayed from common sense?

Not at all! Not having used an instrument for a long time is exactly why you get creative with it when you finally play it again!
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby ManFromGlass » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:05 pm

Definitely!
But then I eventually put it away after I remember why I didn’t use it much.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Random Guitarist » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:28 pm

Thank you gents, it is reassuring to know it's not just me.

I also have a triton le to sell, I think I'm more determined about that one, but I haven't switched it on yet.
Random Guitarist
Frequent Poster
I've never liked a solo violin, you need at least five for a proper fire.

Postby zenguitar » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:54 pm

Something I’ve discovered about guitars over the years is that people bring them in for a setup ready to sell and instead decide to keep them. And they always seem surprised by that.

The setup doesn’t just get them an instrument back to playing and sounding it’s best, but it also gets a thorough cleaning, including the case. And that is enough to remind them that there was a reason why they bought it in the first place.

There are fewer options to setup a synth/keyboard, but there’s definitely an opportunity for a good clean and service. I recently inherited a Roland RD300S that benefitted from opening up, carefully vacuuming inside and out with the help of a soft 1” paint brush, then patiently cleaning the keys, case, knobs, buttons, and fader caps. A careful application of cleaner/lube to the pots, switches and cleaning sockets finished the job.

It’s like getting a new instrument. Keys great to the touch, printed legends brighter and easier to read, smooth pots & faders, and no ingrained grime on the caps and buttons. And very therapeutic work too.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby The Elf » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:57 pm

zenguitar wrote:The setup doesn’t just get them an instrument back to playing and sounding it’s best, but it also gets a thorough cleaning, including the case. And that is enough to remind them that there was a reason why they bought it in the first place.
Absolutely true. I recently had my ARP Pro Soloist repaired and fettled ready to sell... and now I can't part with it!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Folderol » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:31 pm

I give my own kit a bit of a clean up from time to time. For some reason it always surprises me how much better it feels :roll:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Next