You are here

Buchla Easel does it again.

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Buchla Easel does it again.

Postby Arpangel » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:31 am

I was on the verge of selling it again, having not used it for ages, but I turned it on yesterday and starting to play around with it, I’d even forgotten most of it too, how to use it, so just pushed a few sliders in what I thought was the right direction, and as usual, without really trying, the record button was pressed as yet another totally mind blowing sound came out, it does it every time I switch it on, a totally original and interesting sound.
It’s what I call an ideas box, it will always push you in a direction you’d never think of, if you’re looking for something to jolt you out of a rut, this is it, big time, and the results are always more or less a finished track.
I won’t be selling it, and can highly recommend it if you’re searching for inspiration, and new approaches. It’s the only piece of gear that still makes me look to equipment for inspiration, as that’s what it does, completely and utterly.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: Buchla Easel does it again.

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:36 am

That's an obvious keeper :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby Arpangel » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:00 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:That's an obvious keeper :thumbup:

It is Eddy, Don Buchla was a genius, no doubt about that, I think acid played big part in the "design philosophy" of Buchla's stuff, and playing a Buchla is definitely like going on a trip of some sort.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Ben Asaro » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:16 pm

The Buchla has always fascinated me. I would love to spend some serious time with one and am curious as to what would come out the other end; would the music still sound like 'me'?
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:04 pm

Ben Asaro wrote:...am curious as to what would come out the other end; would the music still sound like 'me'?

I suspect it would Ben - over the years I've been asked to mimic a host of different genres, and the end result invariably not only still sounded at least vaguely like me, but also the knowledge I gained through the process subsequently informed later work when I had no genre restrictions at all.

In other words, using a new technique/genre/gear invariably results in widening your experience and enriching your entire musical output.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Ben Asaro » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:38 pm

Martin Walker wrote:
Ben Asaro wrote:...am curious as to what would come out the other end; would the music still sound like 'me'?

I suspect it would Ben - over the years I've been asked to mimic a host of different genres, and the end result invariably not only still sounded at least vaguely like me, but also the knowledge I gained through the process subsequently informed later work when I had no genre restrictions at all.

In other words, using a new technique/genre/gear invariably results in widening your experience and enriching your entire musical output.

Martin
Very true; we're still manning the wheel so to speak.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:53 pm

Arpangel wrote:
I think acid played big part in the "design philosophy" of Buchla's stuff, and playing a Buchla is definitely like going on a trip of some sort.

I reckon not, and that's without ever having touched a Buchla Easel . . .

;)
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby BJG145 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:24 pm

Still saving, but an Easel is definitely on the Buchla-it list. (Alongside the Lightning and the Marimba Lumina.)

"7 styles in 7 minutes"
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:06 am

BJG145 wrote:Still saving, but an Easel is definitely on the Buchla-it list. (Alongside the Lightning and the Marimba Lumina.)

"7 styles in 7 minutes"

It’s a fact, I’m not in any doubt, Buchla synths do lead you down paths that you didn’t know existed, and it is, like a trip, but sometimes it can be a bad one, and you end up nowhere, and frustrated, but that’s the nature of any modular based synth. That’s why a I bought an a Easel, it’s a "semi modular" I now prefer these types to fully modular designs, as a lot of the decisions have been made for me.
The Buchla is "undefinable" yesterday I made music with it that could have been anything, it didn’t sound electronic, or acoustic.
If you’re thinking of buying an Easel, please be aware, it’s not like any other Buchla system, it has a distinct sound of it’s own, and it’s designed as a self contained instrument, I’ve tried to integrate it with my 200e system, and it doesn’t work, it was designed to be used on its own.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Wonks » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:52 pm

Just found this, Suzanne Ciani talking about the 200e, and thought you might be interested.

https://youtu.be/pegObT0qjuM
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Arpangel » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:48 am

Wonks wrote:Just found this, Suzanne Ciani talking about the 200e, and thought you might be interested.

https://youtu.be/pegObT0qjuM

Thanks Wonks, I love her attitude towards electronics, she was right in there at the beginning, in Buchla's workshop. Her music isn’t really my cup of tea, but I like the fact that she uses the Buchla in non-Bchla-esque ways.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)