You are here

home / stage piano choices - where to start?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

home / stage piano choices - where to start?

Postby al_diablo » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:13 am

Inread the forums a lot but rarely have anything informative to post. I have come out of my lurker cave to ask for help!

I grew up playing the piano and would like to start again. Space in my house is limited so I was thinking of one of the smaller digital pianos or a stage piano I could use with my existing monitors and headphones (probably mainly headphones because we have a small baby!)

There is so much choice I dont even know where to start looking - all I can really say is I'm aiming within the budget end of the range and I don't need a lot of features: one realistic piano sound, one or two decent e-piano and the feel of playing a real instrument. At the moment I dont need something I could gig with.

I've also considered the benefits of buying a decent hammer action controller and using software - I use logic and kontakt, but would prefer to be free from the computer. I've been tempted by a number of workstations after reading SOS reviews but I suspect I would hardly use any of the features so something a bit more slimmed down is probably better.

Any recommendations for gear to look out for or audition would be very much appreciated!

Thanks

Alex
al_diablo
Regular

Re: home / stage piano choices - where to start?

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:38 pm

There are countless electric pianos out there and quality varies from ok to stunning. But, as you don't immediately need a stage piano*, the most cost effective way of getting something that plays well and sounds decent is to buy a used home keyboard type. A Yamaha Clavinola type** from the last 20-25 years will have a great keyboard and competent sounds and, as the cheapest new Yamaha is not much over £600, is probably gettable for a couple of hundred quid (or less, we were given one a few years ago for my wife's ballet school).

* And most home EPs will still probably be fairly easy to transport and be perfectly capable live gig instruments.

**There are other makes but sticking to the big names like Yamaha and Roland is safe.

What ever you do though, go and play a few in a shop to see which actions and sounds you like, and more importantly, which don't suit you.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby mick.n » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:45 pm

A good "bang for the buck" would be the Casio PX5S. I bought one 3 or 4 years ago & it is a joy to play. Superb weighted 88 note hammer action & a powerful synth engine....especially if you explore the "Hex layer" thing. Excellent Grand piano sounds (Though always subjective) and pretty decent EP sounds. No built in speakers though, but 2 headphone sockets, so very much baby friendly. :thumbup:

Discontinued now & can be picked up for a song.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Casio/Priv ... e-Piano.gc

SOS review here https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/casio-privia-px5s

I bought mine purely on the strength of this review & never regretted it.
Good luck. :D
mick.n
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:00 pm

Another vote for the Casio Privia or PX range, they seem very decent for the money, a neighbour has one for their daughter who’s at music college and it seems OK for home and stage use, the sound is pretty decent, so is the keyboard feel.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Trevor Johnson » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:38 pm

Excellent suggestions.

I would go for a Yamaha Clavinova; I was first acquainted with them in the 80s and they were good then, and still are. In fact my favourite acoustic piano, now, is the Yamaha CFX, which I played at Westminster Hall a few years ago. Beating the Imperial Bosendorfer and Steinway Model D, both of which I grew up with.

Whatever you do, try out the piano first, particularly the action. Also, I would not hesitate to buy a refurbished, or secondhand, instrument, from a reputable dealer.
Trevor Johnson
Regular

Postby al_diablo » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:59 pm

Thanks for the advice and recommendations everyone. I'll let you know how I've got on after I spend some time trying a few options out.

Alex
al_diablo
Regular

Postby Guido3 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:15 am

There is a Casio PX5S in the Readers Ads here (Mods: Not mine). It’s at a great price (£350) so I don’t think you can go far wrong with that.
Guido3
Frequent Poster
And Bagpuss, once he was asleep, was just a saggy old cloth cat.

Postby IAA » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:48 am

Echo most of the above, I’d concentrate on feel first, sound, funnily enough, is easier to rectify through usb/midi if the internal sounds are not your cup of tea. My real piano is a Yamaha Grand, but in the studio, after trying lots of actions, I went for a Korg RH3 Kronos. You don’t need a Kronos but they use that action on other boards. I was also impressed with the Roland hammer action.
Try as many as you can.
IAA
Frequent Poster