You are here

Yamaha CS80 - Dave Spiers' love letter

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: Yamaha CS80 - Dave Spiers' love letter

Postby Arpangel » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:43 am

desmond wrote:One of the things I love about the JP8 is that it can do light, delicate and sensitive, as well as chunky and big sounding, without ever get to that big overblown chunky fatness of the American synths.

There is nothing like the sound of a classic Oberheim though, beautiful. Brings back memories of Lyle Mays, heavenly.

desmond wrote: Indeed - I hope you weren't taking my comments above thinking I'm one of those people. I actually don't like the superfat thing that much. Like I say, JP8 is my all-time favourite classic analog polysynth, and I much prefer it to P5's, OB's, Memorymoogs and synths of similar "size"...

Who cares! We all have our likes and dislikes :thumbup:
A Memory Moog is what I would call "a beautiful instrument" it’s so creamy, deep, rich, expressive, no wonder they are expensive, I’d love one.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)
https://anthonyflynn.bandcamp.com/album/toy-town

Postby baward » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:12 am

Syntaur have (or are doing) a restoration of a CS-80 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_poihkLM5Go . Interesting from a slightly more technical perspective that Mr. Spiers's.
baward
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:25 pm

baward wrote:Syntaur have (or are doing) a restoration of a CS-80 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_poihkLM5Go . Interesting from a slightly more technical perspective that Mr. Spiers's.

That’s just mind blowing, I mean, come on, you’d only have to look at it and it would go wrong, it’s almost as if they built it by the day, not knowing, or planning where anything was going to be "I think well just put it there, is there room?"

:crazy:
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)
https://anthonyflynn.bandcamp.com/album/toy-town

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:14 pm

baward wrote:Syntaur have (or are doing) a restoration of a CS-80 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_poihkLM5Go . Interesting from a slightly more technical perspective that Mr. Spiers's.

Wow - that's a fascinating yet most entertaining watch 8-)

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:35 pm

Arpangel wrote:That’s just mind blowing, I mean, come on, you’d only have to look at it and it would go wrong, it’s almost as if they built it by the day, not knowing, or planning where anything was going to be "I think well just put it there, is there room?"

It's one of the most elegantly designed and constructed synths I've ever worked on. Most of the control logic is under the keybed which hinges up like a car bonnet (hood). The signal generation/shaping/control electronic cards are all in a rack which lifts up and latches in place for servicing, and the huge wiring harnesses can be lifted out of the way of the trimmers and held in place by the wire stays -- although the muppet in the film didn't seem to realise it! If you need access to the electronics on a card, a couple of screws release it from the rack.

It really is a very cleverly packaged keyboard, given the technology of the day, and it's a joy to work on.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Folderol » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:58 pm

Enjoyed that immensely. They were dead lucky there wasn't more damage done to it :clap: :thumbup:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:58 pm

I think it must have been dropped once or twice to do that kind of damage to the keyboard. I don't think it would have happened through normal playing. But yes, very lucky those pins didn't cause shorts in more serious places. That power supply delivers a lot of current!
Hugh Robjohns

Postby nathanscribe » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:42 am

desmond wrote:The CS40 is supposed to be a bit better (more oscillators to try and make up some power I guess)

My CS40m is broken at the mo, but it's a nice synth and capable of some cutting, rather than beefy, sounds. It's a proper 2-voicer as well, so you get 2 voices of 2 vcos each, instead of the Odyssey-style 2-note 'duophony'. One of the nice things on the 40m is the ring mod, which has its own rate modulation envelope, for those speed up/slow down effects.

I've had the 01, 5, 15, and 40m, and the thing I see most complained about is that they're not a Moog, basically. I never understood why you'd want one synth to be another. Matter of taste. The CS sound complements other things well, and they are capable of sounding chunky when you treat them right. Just not ever going to sound like a Moog or a Roland or whatever, and fairly so.
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:01 am

nathanscribe wrote:One of the nice things on the 40m is the ring mod, which has its own rate modulation envelope, for those speed up/slow down effects.

Yes, that carried across several models, including the CS80, and it really is extremely effective.

I never understood why you'd want one synth to be another. Matter of taste. The CS sound complements other things well, and they are capable of sounding chunky when you treat them right. Just not ever going to sound like a Moog or a Roland or whatever, and fairly so.

Well said! ;-)
Hugh Robjohns

Postby desmond » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:12 am

nathanscribe wrote:Just not ever going to sound like a Moog or a Roland or whatever, and fairly so.

Indeed. FWIW I never wanted them to sound like a Moog, or a Roland or whatever - I just wanted them to sound good, inspiring, and musical - and it was those points on which they failed, for me... They may work/sound great for other people/tastes, just not so much for me... The CS80 (and GX1 I guess) is by far the outlier and the one that really is the most musical, from what I've seen/heard.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:06 pm

nathanscribe wrote:I've had the 01, 5, 15, and 40m, and the thing I see most complained about is that they're not a Moog, basically.
Nice! Yes, they are not "phatt". But that PWM is so nice. At one point I had a CS01, two CS5s and a CS10. Listening to Dave Spiers video, the sound is exactly the same as long as you're only playing one note on one channel LOL.

There's a mathematical relationship. Ignoring the performance controls and keyboard (I am aware of the significance) a CS10 is a quarter of a CS80. It even has the unusual (but brilliant) filter envelope. One quirk is that it (and the CS5) gives you level control for the pulse and the saw, CS80 does not, within a "line".

Actually, what are those called? The two voices? Channels? Dave Spiers calls them a "mix" and Kent Spong calls them "banks". I called them "Lines" as on Casio CZ- I wonder if they were modelling their concept on the CS80?
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:22 pm

nathanscribe wrote:I've had the 01, 5, 15, and 40m, and the thing I see most complained about is that they're not as Moog, basically. I never understood why you'd want one synth to be another.
I'll admit that I bought my CS5 back then because it was all I could afford, and yes, I did want it to sound like a MiniMoog back then! But even allowing for that, the CS5 was truly a weedy synth by any standards - nasal and flat. I'm not bothered it doesn't sound like a Moog, but I do want a synth to sound musical!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby baward » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:04 pm

I'm currently enjoying exploring the wackiness of the CS-30L. Some completely bonkers sounds in there. The 'L' apparently stands for 'Live', which could be seen as a help or a hindrance!
baward
Regular

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:14 pm

baward wrote:I'm currently enjoying exploring the wackiness of the CS-30L. Some completely bonkers sounds in there.
Those are amazing! What an odd collection of modules and routing options. Apparently it's "Live" because it's built in to a tolex case and came with chrome legs. That seems so quaint now.
Tomás Mulcahy wrote:a CS10 is a quarter of a CS80.
An eighth! Not a quarter.
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster

Previous