You are here

Pulled the trigger on a a K2000R in mint condition

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: Pulled the trigger on a a K2000R in mint condition

Postby Zukan » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:53 am

Wonks wrote:
Zukan wrote:Good find. They are lovely. I am not sure if I still have mine as I put everything in the attic for storage after a fire we had and haven't been up since. I have been and still might be after a 2500 with KDFX. Dave Boland has a few hundred Kurzes sitting around so he is a great source for all things Kurz, as is the Elf. I have tons of sounds for the K2 in the event you get stuck for some fresh content.
No, you gave it to me and it's sitting in my rack. It needs a new light for the display (which is nearly impossible to read without it) and a new fan as the current one is effing noisy. But it has got the orchestral ROM and the sampling option.

I'll have a look in the attic and see if I've still got Dave's old K2 which he gave to me to use for parts. I changed the power supply using his old K2, I'll check and drop you a message Si.
Zukan

Postby Ben Asaro » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:13 pm

The unit arrived yesterday and I gave it the most cursory of plays, just to make sure that everything is working. Here are my broad, initial impressions:

1. THIS THING IS MASSIVE. It's a huge, huge, box. In fact, it doesn't fit in any of my racks, it's too deep lol. I currently have it perched atop the bookshelf containing the modular, where it looks like a black monolith from the 1990s. This unit is in mint condition and the fan is actually pretty quiet.

2. THIS THING IS SWISH. The feel of the components, from the power button to the data wheel to the keypad have a decidedly high end feel; it feels more like high end hifi gear than audio equipment in terms of the tactile experience.

3. THIS THING SOUNDS AMAZING. Some of the patches are okay, many of them range from usable to amazing. The ones that stood out to me the most are the piano patches and the percussion samples. I have a thing for the crunchiness of the JV style string samples, they are the perfect hybrid of real:synthetic to me, so it will take some careful listening to decide which synth I will use for which sounds. The piled on PWM style saws and pulse patches are freaking MASSIVE sounding!!

The unit also included the original manual in very good shape and the Factory Programs floppy disk. I'm looking forward to chipping away at VAST and seeing what it can do.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:46 pm

:thumbup:

The more you love VAST, the more it will love you back.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Dave B » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:52 pm

IIRC you want patch 23 (?) called Grand Strings. Lushness itself and was only on the 2000 (but could be ported upwards). Yum!

The K series sounded great and has a wonderful sound which, by modern standards, is a bit chunky and slightly in your face, but without losing anything or sounding harsh. The 2000 could run out of polyphony for many of us and also benefitted from more fx. Which was the point of the 25xx and 26xx machines. But the actual sound was there from the start.

Enjoy - it's a great unit and I've heard amazing stuff done solely on one. :D
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Ben Asaro » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:32 pm

I will have some time this weekend to finally dig into VAST. Any suggestions on where to start? It came with the original spiral-bound Musician’s Guide (in remarkable shape for being 30 years old), so I guess I could just crack that open and start diving in.

One of the things I love about the JV-1080 is that once you understand the button layout, navigating the menus is relatively straight forward, esp with the palette mode where you can see all four parts at once.

VAST is a much more complex system and the screen is much larger, but I don’t know how the navigation is set up.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:36 pm

Just be methodical. It's really not hard at all, but you're in the world of the 1990s 'wallpaper the hall through the letterbox' - a phrase I shared with Paul White at an audio trade show in the 1980s - I had no idea it would stick so well! Just don't ask me where it originally came from...
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Ben Asaro » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:39 pm

The Elf wrote:Just be methodical. It's really not hard at all, but you're in the world of the 1990s 'wallpaper the hall through the letterbox' - a phrase I shared with Paul White at an audio trade show in the 1980s - I had no idea it would stick so well! Just don't ask me where it originally came from...
LOL :D
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Previous