You are here

KORG Oasys PCI

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

KORG Oasys PCI

Postby johnny h » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:40 pm

Anyone still have one of these in use / at the bottom of a drawer somewhere?
johnny h
Jedi Poster

Re: KORG Oasys PCI

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:30 pm

No but . . . aren't Korg's patents on PhysMod due to expire any day now?

IIRC this was a major bottleneck on the tech advancing, in the absence of interest in same from Korg.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby johnny h » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:12 pm

Maybe Behringer will get round to copying it when they run out of old analogue synths and drum machines to "be inspired from".

So, nobody has used this card?
johnny h
Jedi Poster

Postby Mixedup » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:25 pm

johnny h wrote:So, nobody has used this card?

Not for a couple of decades! :headbang: Why?

(Still have my SW1000XG and some daughterboard cards knocking around somewhere though... they were far more useful!)
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby johnny h » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:21 pm

Mixedup wrote:
johnny h wrote:So, nobody has used this card?

Not for a couple of decades! :headbang: Why?

(Still have my SW1000XG and some daughterboard cards knocking around somewhere though... they were far more useful!)
You weren’t a fan of the Oasys PCI?

Suddenly developed a strong curiosity about it.
johnny h
Jedi Poster

Postby Mixedup » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:38 pm

Not really. On the PC soundcard side of things ended up with a Yamaha SW1000XG around that time, and the DSP Factory. Later I added a Kenton Plugstation and a bunch of daughterboards. On the Korg side of things, I went for a Triton Rack with a few bits installed — memory, EXB-MOSS etc. Oh... and then I went on to Creamware stuff for a bit, which I loved. TBH, it's all beginning to fade in the memory somewhat now! Still miss the Yamaha PLG-150AN card, though... I used to love the sounds on that thing and the ease of editing... and never got round to replacing it with the An1x I had my eye on!
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:33 pm

I think it was ahead of its time and was never a great success due to the cost. Also, AFAIK it will only work in a Mac with a PowerPC CPU, or on a PC running Windows 95 or 98.

To install the latest drivers you need to have the original ones installed, though strangely the update appears to have been released in 2015 (either that or that's the date they were put on the Korg site) and is for Mac only.

SOS did a comprehensive review of the card back in April 2000, though it sits in the gap between the mu:zines archives and the historical articles here on SOS.

It is available on archive.org though:
https://web.archive.org/web/20150608012 ... goasys.htm

To be honest, the pain of getting an Oasys PCI card up and running seems quite high, especially as it had very limited polyphony and much if not all of the stuff it did is now trivially available in other products.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby johnny h » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:15 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:To be honest, the pain of getting an Oasys PCI card up and running seems quite high, especially as it had very limited polyphony and much if not all of the stuff it did is now trivially available in other products.
I’m sure I could get an old computer together. I’m not interested in the analogue emulations. One of the designers ended up creating the Solaris synth I believe but I wasn’t impressed by the sound of that at all tbh.

More interested in the physical modelling aspects.
johnny h
Jedi Poster

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:02 pm

johnny h wrote:
More interested in the physical modelling aspects.

Indeed. I wonder how the OASYS PhysMod stacks up against say, Yamaha's implementation on some of their older hardware, or against AAS software (which is licensed as Ableton Live devices too, for those who aren't aware).
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:15 pm

Mixedup wrote:(Still have my SW1000XG and some daughterboard cards knocking around somewhere though... they were far more useful!)

I still occasionally miss using my SW1000XG card - its combination of samples and effect options had just the right amount of flexibility to achieve your own sound, yet the combo was not complex enough to become overwhelming.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Mixedup » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:22 am

Martin Walker wrote:
Mixedup wrote:(Still have my SW1000XG and some daughterboard cards knocking around somewhere though... they were far more useful!)

I still occasionally miss using my SW1000XG card - its combination of samples and effect options had just the right amount of flexibility to achieve your own sound, yet the combo was not complex enough to become overwhelming.

Martin

Yeah, it was ace! I'd love Yamaha/Steinberg to release a plug-in version of the card and all the daughterboards, with a GUI that resembled XG Pad... #makexgcoolagain :protest:
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby FrankD » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:29 am

I have an Oasys PCI in my old Power Computing clone. Just fired it up and the card is recognized. I also have installation disks for versions 1, 1.0.1, 1.0.2 and 2, and a 500+ page Oasys PCI Dealer Training Guide in the form of a thick binder.

I haven't used it in ages, and would be happy to pop it out of the computer and let it go for a reasonable offer. Not sure where you are, johnny h. I'm in NY. Shipping may be high, but I'm sure we can work something out.

peace,
Frank D.
FrankD