You are here

MIDI Designer Pro

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

MIDI Designer Pro

Postby The Elf » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:28 pm

I've mentioned this software a few times over the past couple of weeks, so thought I should start a separate thread for anyone interested.

Firstly, I will state that I have no affilliation with this software, other than being a happy user!

I've just completed a set of Layouts, some based on existing Layouts, that not only enable me to edit a few favourite synths, and also reflect any editing I do on the synths themselves - but also will update the Layout when I change patches. The latter is a huge deal for me. Having such as the PG-800 for my MKS-70, and the new Retroaktiv MPG-70 to control my V4/PWM MKS-70 are dandy, but these programmers do not reflect the state of the current patch. Now my MDP Layout shows me exactly what I need to know and guides my hand for editing. This is a huge time-saver for me.

To achieve this I had to purchase and install the Stream Byter plug-in for MDP. This utility enables me to parse a bulk dump from a synth and pick out the individual parameters to send to each MDP knob, button and slider. From my MKS-70 I now simply switch to a new patch and the MDP Layout immediately updates to reflect the settings. On my reface CS I press a 'Get' button, the bulk-dump initiates and the Layout updates.

I'm very happy with the results. As long as you have some familiarity with MIDI you can create a simple MDP controller panel. If you are equally familiar with Hexadecimal then Sys-Ex strings are simple to create. To use Stream Byter requires a very basic understanding of procedural programming (IF, A=B, ELSE...); if you've used BASIC you'll be fine.

Where MDP stumbles is in really being dedicated to one synth at a time. Although you *can* have more than one synth in the current 'Layout' I find it very clunky to achieve, and when storing a preset it saves *everything* for all synths at once, which is clumsy and wasteful. Switching between Layouts is a few screen-taps, and the buttons are tiny - I wish there was a way to flip between them more easily. The two-page L/R split and Bank designations are very clumsy to my way of thinking - if you *do* try to append a second device to a Layout the Bank numbers go crazy and you have a heck of a job to get everything back to normal. If I could change one thing about MDP it would be to ditch the two-page concept and simplify things.

But, as I said, I'm generally very happy with the results. For such as the reface series of synths it gives me a way of storing presets outside of the questionable SoundMondo web page.

Just thought I'd share... :geek:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: MIDI Designer Pro

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:37 pm

:clap: :thumbup: Nice one Elf.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby The Elf » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:16 pm

The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:25 pm

MY EYES! MY EYES!!! :D
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:32 pm

Good info there The Elf (Elf? Paul? ).

So, does the app save presets in the same way Lemur does, as a monolithic template, or can each teplate save presets within that don't have to be saved as a template before you close the app?

To explain, for anyone not familiar with Lemur. Lemur doesn't have any built-in preset system, you build your template and that's that . . . however, you can build your own preset system into any template - the catch of course is you have then have to remember to save the template itself (containing all your saved presets) before closing the app or lose those saved presets.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby The Elf » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:37 pm

Presets are stored with the Layout. So you have to save the Layout to retain the Presets you've created while it was loaded. I wish it wasn't so, but... :frown:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:31 pm

Ah right, so it's basically the same deal for both apps.

You can build custom presetting systems that would span multiple device on Lemur, but I'm guessing that would be significantly more complex than working in MDP.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby Zukan » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:00 pm

Very cool Paul.
Zukan

Postby BillB » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:35 pm

Thanks Elf, saved for review. I also have TB MIDI Stuff app, which can do much the same. Still wondering if there is an Android app, as I have a couple of of old phones lying around. Minor issue there is that a USB Host > MIDI would probably be required... whereas IOS has many MIDI options, such as iRig MIDI etc.
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:53 pm

I use rtpMIDI which transmits MIDI over wireless. Your iPad and DAW have to be on the same wireless network, and then it just works - no fuss, no complications.

I actually have my iPad sitting on an old Behringer iPad interface, but all that does is provide power to the iPad via an old iPad/Lightning converter.
The Elf
Jedi Poster