You are here

A couple of questions about Poly aftertouch

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: A couple of questions about Poly aftertouch

Postby The Elf » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:32 pm

No idea what I did with that! I've re-done it from scratch. Try the above link again and hopefully it's sorted.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Folderol » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:52 pm

Thanks that one works.
Unfortunately it shows some step behaviour (which I was afraid of). This is almost certainly due to the fact there is no interpolation and the incoming values aren't regular 1,2,3 ...
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby desmond » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:57 pm

Folderol wrote:Thanks that one works.
Unfortunately it shows some step behaviour (which I was afraid of). This is almost certainly due to the fact there is no interpolation and the incoming values aren't regular 1,2,3 ...

Presumably, any incoming 7-bit data like CC's, aftertouch etc, need to be mapped to a modulation value and should always be interpolated and smoothed. How do you do this for other 7-bit MIDI data?
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby The Elf » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:58 pm

Any receiving device can only work with what it's being given, and I'm not sure how smoothly my controller is working, but yep, I guess some smoothing lag may be necessary.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Folderol » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:06 pm

desmond wrote:

Presumably, any incoming 7-bit data like CC's, aftertouch etc, need to be mapped to a modulation value and should always be interpolated and smoothed. How do you do this for other 7-bit MIDI data?
Varies. Things like volume and panning it's a simple fairly coarse time-based operation. For frequency components it's still time based, but broken down into sample based corrections and has a faster effective response to small variations.
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:08 pm

The Elf wrote:
Any receiving device can only work with what it's being given, and I'm not sure how smoothly my controller is working, but yep, I guess some smoothing lag may be necessary.
It's actually a good test track. If it had been too even I might have missed the problem, so thanks for taking the trouble to do it.
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Previous