You are here

A couple of questions about Poly aftertouch

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: A couple of questions about Poly aftertouch

Postby Rich Hanson » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:30 pm

Just think of it as an individual mod wheel for every single MIDI note :bouncy:
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Folderol » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:10 pm

One doesn't like to ask, but can anyone possibly lend me a keyboard with polyAT? Trying to work on this while emulating the effect is a real pain in the bum, and probably misses important characteristics. Even a 2 octave mini-key jobbie would be great (if such a thing exists).
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby The Elf » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:34 pm

Folderol wrote:Still puzzling through this. What about multiple actions? For example would someone want to do something like a pitch bend and a vibrato effect at the same time?
Definitely! Maybe vibrato and filter cut-off, for example.

Of course, we could also have a discussion about MPE - the cutting edge of polyphonic expression. This has the player modulating and pitch-bending every note separately, with controller information based on velocity, pressure, 2 axes of movement and release velocity!

:lol:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:53 pm

Folderol wrote:One doesn't like to ask, but can anyone possibly lend me a keyboard with polyAT? Trying to work on this while emulating the effect is a real pain in the bum, and probably misses important characteristics. Even a 2 octave mini-key jobbie would be great (if such a thing exists).

Hi Will!

That would be the perfect solution, but it's just occurred to me that even if someone sends you a MIDI file performance containing sensible channel and poly aftertouch data, along with an audio file showing how the original sounded, you can probably use that to test your Yoshimi implementation of same.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby zenguitar » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:09 am

Now that's smart thinking Martin. :clap:

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
The more I understand Music, the less good I get at it.

Postby Folderol » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:52 am

Martin Walker wrote:
Folderol wrote:One doesn't like to ask, but can anyone possibly lend me a keyboard with polyAT? Trying to work on this while emulating the effect is a real pain in the bum, and probably misses important characteristics. Even a 2 octave mini-key jobbie would be great (if such a thing exists).

Hi Will!

That would be the perfect solution, but it's just occurred to me that even if someone sends you a MIDI file performance containing sensible channel and poly aftertouch data, along with an audio file showing how the original sounded, you can probably use that to test your Yoshimi implementation of same.

Martin

Much though I appreciate the suggestion, and it would certainly clarify some points. The problem I have is that I haven't yet found a way to emulate a smooth transition, only step levels. This means I can't test the smoothness of the changes I've implemented so far (filter cutoff and pitch change).
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby BJG145 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:34 am

Martin Walker wrote:...it's just occurred to me that even if someone sends you a MIDI file performance containing sensible channel and poly aftertouch data

...good thinking...could also construct PolyAT data in a DAW. For instance, in Reaper apparently: "...you can draw the desired poly aftertouch fade curve in another CC lane, and then use Properties to quickly change the CCs into poly aftertouch..."

(It would probably also be possible to remap a mod wheel to fake it monophonically. Appreciate that it would be nicer to have an actual keyboard for testing though.)
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:27 am

Ah! I missed the bit about a poly AT data file. This as a standard MIDI file would indeed be ideal.

I don't have any MIDI editing tools at all here so if someone could do this and send it to me I'd be rather grateful. A few slow sweeps and fast ones would be perfect.
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:31 am

I have a Roli Seaboard 25 on loan with a friend right now. If it's not in heavy use I will see if I can recall it for you.

It will need a bit of learning to understand how you dumb it down to 'simple' poly aftertouch, but it might do the job?

Failing this I can generate MIDI files (and accompanying audio) for you from either my Elka MK76, or from a Roli.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:32 am

Folderol wrote:Ah! I missed the bit about a poly AT data file. This as a standard MIDI file would indeed be ideal.

I don't have any MIDI editing tools at all here so if someone could do this and send it to me I'd be rather grateful. A few slow sweeps and fast ones would be perfect.
I'm on it...
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:40 am

The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:49 am

Wow! That was fast :thumbup:
Thanks a lot :bouncy:
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:52 am

Folderol wrote:
Wow! That was fast :thumbup:
Thanks a lot :bouncy:
NP :thumbup:

You should be able to edit this to your heart's content to create slow/fast sweeps. When you're ready I can create some polyphonic performances to test things properly.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:10 pm

Unfortunately there is a problem (I had to go out so have only just had time to try it). The audio file is fine, but the MIDI one is only 51 bytes long. Which is probably not much more than the header :(
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:18 pm

Folderol wrote:Unfortunately there is a problem (I had to go out so have only just had time to try it). The audio file is fine, but the MIDI one is only 51 bytes long. Which is probably not much more than the header :(
Odd. I'll fix it...
The Elf
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext