You are here

SOS review of Korg ARP2600FS

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

SOS review of Korg ARP2600FS

Postby Kevin Nolan » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:14 pm

I just read the SOS March edition review of the Korg ARP 2600 FS.

All well and good - but - the reviewer has written the article seemingly blissfully ignorant of one critical piece of information - this instrument isn't available to purchase - and never will be!

He's writing as if it's finally an option to buy, but he clearly hasn't done any investigation on this.

I have - I contacted Korg and Thomann. Thomann say they are not stocking it - in fact they say they have no knowledge of this instrument at all and have no plans to ever stock it.

Korg UK say that the limited batch that were released is it - no more to come.

And if you go to Digital Village - they've had a "Sold Out" sign for that product virtually since the day it was announced.

We are all aware 400 were made and I am aware of two cases where well known composers were contacted by Korg directly before the announcement and offered to buy it exclusively. Virtually all available sold that way, and seemingly only a handful sold through the likes of Sweetwater in the US for general sale, though there's no verification of that because everyone I know who ordered one hasn't received any word on it.

Good for Korg for making such a fine instrument - but - what I find nauseating is the big hullabaloo about announcing it to the public - setting them up with the aspiration of buying one - and then - leave them high and dry. It's an insult to their user base.

This is an expensive item and most have to plan for such a purchase. I planned to buy one and spent about 3 weeks chasing my tail trying to find out how to order one only to be told by Korg UK that they are all gone! What an insult - to pretend to release an instrument by announcing a 'release' that never happened.

In my opinion this is Korg 'using' it's position in a competition with Behringer. They have certainly 'used' their loyal user base too - quite a number of people are cheesed off with them.

I recommend SOS that you do a little reality checking on what you review - your entire review sets up like this is available for purchase - it isn't - and it won't be.

Indeed if there is anything going to come down stream it is, as the reviewer through - with relief wouldn't happen - it's possible a "Mini" version of the bloody thing is in the pipeline for Krog's "ordinary plebs" - and why the one just released has the "FS" attached to the name.

A very unsavoury incident for earnest synthesists everywhere - used as pawns in Korg's competition with Behringer.

If they release a mini version - perhaps they should brand it "ARP 2600 FFS"!
Kevin Nolan
Frequent Poster

Re: SOS review of Korg ARP2600FS

Postby desmond » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:26 pm

Someone else made the same point some weeks back, with some response from SOS, but I can't find the thread right now...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby IAA » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:30 pm

perhaps they should brand it "ARP 2600 FFS"!

Although that made me smile..
IAA
Frequent Poster

Postby Dan LB » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:10 am

desmond wrote:Someone else made the same point some weeks back, with some response from SOS, but I can't find the thread right now...

Starts around halfway down this page:
https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... 9&start=60
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby David Glasper » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:38 am

This review was completed before the ARP 2600FS was announced, let alone on sale. And although we knew there were going to be a limited number available (1000 was the figure I heard), we were surprised by just how quickly it sold out — as I suspect were Korg. All the same, it was and is an interesting product and if I had to make the decision again I would still have commissioned the review. After all, SOS is as much about interesting tech as it is a consumer guide. I suppose we just have to hope that Korg will be considering another run, or at least a slightly different version, after the runaway success of the first.
David Glasper
Poster

Postby IAA » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:45 am

After all, SOS is as much about interesting tech as it is a consumer guide

I’d agree, the reissue was a significant product and deserved the Gordon attention. I wanted one too, couldn’t get an order, but still enjoyed the article.
IAA
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:15 pm

As I said in the previous thread, as a keen synthesizer nerd I'd be absolutely gutted if SOS hadn't done the full-on Gordon review!

I'm never ever going to buy one of these beasts, so I don't personally give a monkey's whether the only (or first) run has sold out or not... and I don't generally look upon SOS as a retail guide anyway -- it's a technology magazine as far as I'm concerned, and the 2600 is interesting tech.

As David -- who commissioned the review -- says, that review was done very early on in the process, long before the thing actually went on sale. So from that respect, Gordon really was 'blissfullly ignorant' that the thing would have sold out before the magazine hit the newstands. No one -- not Gordon, and not us at the magazine -- could have anticipated that it would sell out almost instantly it went on sale! And to rant at us about that is just ignorant bonkers! All SOS can ever do is report the credible facts as they are told to us... which is what we've done.

Is it unusual that we sometimes review things so early? No, not at all, we often get advanced sight of key products. Given the inhrently long production lead times in magazine publishing it helps us to stay at the leading edge of what's going on, with our reviews intentionally coinciding with product launches -- as it did with the 2600. Such is the high regard in which SOS is generally held across the industry.

What does seem very unusal to me is just how quickly such an expensive and unique product has sold out at its launch. It would seem Korg completely misjudged the potential sales orders on that one...but with such a costly and elaborate product to build I can full understand why they would have erred on the side of lower production numbers; no one would want to be left with expensive unsold stock on their hands!

Of course, Korg may well do a second run if all those claiming to be so disappointed at having missed it genuinely want to place orders... A version without the expensive flightcases, maybe. Desktop version. Who knows? In which case, being able to refer back to an in-depth review of that first flagship model will be very useful, I'm quite sure. As it also will be when these things eventually start coming on to the second-hand market.

And the review is also there for comparison with Behringer's own impending version which is another very significant benefit of it for a great many people.

So... I totally get that you're hugely frustrated that you weren't on Korg's celebrity sales list for the 2600, and that you're hugely frustrated the production run was so small that they all sold out before you managed to find one. I'm sure that's a huge shame for you, personally and I understand you feeling a need to voice your frustrations.

However, your accusations and rants about the SOS review are entirely based on erroneous assumptions and fail to see the much wider picture for all our other readers.

It seems to me your anger is really with Korg's pre-launch 'hullabaloo' so might I suggest your spleen-venting should be directed at them, rather than us?

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby BigRedX » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:23 pm

I was one of the people who questioned the wisdom of having a review of an instrument that was essentially unobtainable. I now double question SOS's motives for putting it on the front cover. The whole exercise smacks of a marketing ploy simply to sell more magazines, and IMO does your readers a disservice.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby Wonks » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:27 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:So... I totally get that you're hugely frustrated that you weren't on Korg's celebrity sales list for ther 2500,

Korg also brought out a copy of an ARP 2500? When's that being reviewed? :D
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:29 pm

:oops: Sorry... wrong dataset lodged in local RAM... I've tweaked my post with the right model number!
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:37 pm

BigRedX wrote:I was one of the people who questioned the wisdom of having a review of an instrument that was essentially unobtainable. I now double question SOS's motives for putting it on the front cover. The whole exercise smacks of a marketing ploy simply to sell more magazines, and IMO does your readers a disservice.

It feels like I've woken up in an alternative reality this morning!

Since when would a magazine not put something on its cover without the express intention of maximimising sales? :headbang:

As has been established, in the run up to the product launch Korg made quite a 'hullabaloo' about what is, when all said and done, a product with almost legendary status. The public interest and anticipation, combined with the fact that it's a damn sexy looking bit of kit made it a strong contender for the cover.

And, importantly the decision of what to put on the cover was made long before the product was actually launched on sale.

So how was anyone at SOS supposed to foresee the unit would sell out so quickly? it could just as easily have been the case -- given the astonishing price and the impending Berhinger model -- that they sold six and 394 remained in the warehouse...

Maybe you have clairvoyant skills, but sadly I don't think anyone on SOS's employment register currently does.
Hugh Robjohns

Postby The Elf » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:50 pm

BigRedX wrote:I was one of the people who questioned the wisdom of having a review of an instrument that was essentially unobtainable. I now double question SOS's motives for putting it on the front cover. The whole exercise smacks of a marketing ploy simply to sell more magazines, and IMO does your readers a disservice.
Wha...? :shocked: :? :headbang: :lol:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby BigRedX » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:54 pm

Hugh, it has been known for about 2 months now that the complete production run had sold out on pre-order.

I can understand that having commissioned and presumably paid for the review that SOS would be keen to get their money's worth and publish the article. However to still put it on the front cover is simply not acceptable IMO.

BTW I work in publishing so I have an excellent idea of print and distribution deadlines and how quickly new artwork can be produced when required.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby Agharta » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:01 pm

Whatever you do, keep away from Youtube as there are people there reviewing products that have been out of production for decades. ;)
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby BJG145 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:32 pm

Kevin Nolan wrote:If they release a mini version - perhaps they should brand it "ARP 2600 FFS"!

:D

Enjoyed the review, glad you included it, even if it was for the disgraceful reason of trying to sell magazines. ;)

(Anyways, people can still dream about acquiring this stuff secondhand. There's loads of limited-edition gear I'd like to get my mitts on.)
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Next