You are here

SOS review of Korg ARP2600FS

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: SOS review of Korg ARP2600FS

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:36 pm

I enjoy reading almost every SOS word printed. Substitute the word unaffordable for unobtainable and you’ll be in my position. This also applies to studios I will never mix in, producers and engineers I’ll never get to work with and other music tech and industry milestones I will not be a part of. That being said virtually every gear purchase that I have made for my studio has been tempered by an SOS article.
Photos of cool gear are inspiring.

It will be a sad day when some large instrument corp calls up SOS and says they’ve cancelled super synth project XX so pull the review, and then SOS does that.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby johnny h » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:14 pm

Korg doesn't owe you anything and neither does Sound On Sound. Personally, I'm happy that Korg made this and i'm happy Sound On Sound reviewed it. Even though I missed out on the chance to buy one it was an entertaining and interesting read.
johnny h
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:41 pm

johnny h wrote:Korg doesn't owe you anything and neither does Sound On Sound. Personally, I'm happy that Korg made this and i'm happy Sound On Sound reviewed it. Even though I missed out on the chance to buy one it was an entertaining and interesting read.
For once I totally agree with Johnny :shocked: :lol: :bouncy:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Luke W » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:46 pm

The equivalent situation that's coming to mind for me is that I'll likely never be able to afford and/or find a Noble M12, but I enjoyed watching it do a few laps of a track on Top Gear. :thumbup:
Luke W
Regular
Techie / Musician Of Sorts

Postby The Elf » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:44 pm

Top Gear had better stop putting Ferraris on the front cover by this reckoning! :headbang:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Forum Admin » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:55 pm

BigRedX wrote:I was one of the people who questioned the wisdom of having a review of an instrument that was essentially unobtainable. I now double question SOS's motives for putting it on the front cover. The whole exercise smacks of a marketing ploy simply to sell more magazines, and IMO does your readers a disservice.

I have to reinforce what Hugh has already stated here.

My staff are employed to maximise cover sales - it's what every single newspaper and magazine in the world has and always will attempt to do. It's commercial suicide to do otherwise -- that's why you'll find no DI boxes plastered all over SOS front covers from the past 34+ years.

And why do you think SOS has remained in business this past 34+ years? Because it put products and people on the cover that SELL THE MAGAZINE. We know from historical sales data that Synths on front covers generate our best cover sales.

One very important point is the lead times magazines like SOS operate under. The March issue went to the printer very early February and went on sale Thursday 20th February. The review was done by Gordon and subbing and production layouts finalised early January. At that time nobody knew how many units were being manufactured and it would not have made a jot of difference -- SOS would never have pulled the review simply because it's a fabulous piece of gear and our readership wants to know about it.

SOS is never ever told by any Manufacturer how many units they intend producing -- apart from when it is a Limited Edition run, perhaps, and on occasions like this we've mentioned this in our reviews. This is confidential information no maker shares with the press.

In that same issue we reviewed Korg's new Wavestate synth. We could have put that on the cover. We chose the ARP 2600 FS for very good reasons - there is massive global interest in vintage synths, and we knew full well that interest in the ARP would be very high, and YES we chose to capitalise on this interest. That's a commercial decision any publisher would have taken.

Sorry Kevin, but I, for one, will never ever apologise for trying to sell as many copies of a magazine as possible.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS 11,112 articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
Get FREE Full Issue PDF Digital Mag: https://sosm.ag/FreePDF

Postby Paul Gilby » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:10 pm

Indeed. The Top Gear TV car programme or any car magazine is a good comparison.

If Aston Martin only produced 50 of the famous James Bond DB5 model from Goldfinger, that does not stop all the car mags reviewing it!
Plenty of limited edition dream cars get reviewed and featured on the front cover.

Paul Gilby
Co-Founder.
Paul Gilby

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:44 pm

BigRedX wrote:Hugh, it has been known for about 2 months now that the complete production run had sold out on pre-order.

My understanding is that the review model was acquired -- exclusively to us -- in December and the completed review was filed at the turn of the New Year. The review was then committed to run in the March issue in January.

Now just for the sake of contemplation,

knowing fully well that we had the ONLY full review of the 2600
    and that publication it could be timed to coincide with the product's official launch
    and knowing how much worldwide interest that was already in that machine on the social networks
    and knowing how popular an image of the 2600 would be on the cover
    and knowing what other balancing content we had available in the March issue...

what would you have done IF:

(a) you knew at the time of committing to press that the unit had been totally pre-sold
(b) you had no idea at the time of committing to press that the unit had been totally pre-sold.

If your answer would be different, I'd be very intrigued as to what you would have done!
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby tea for two » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:01 am

SOS being the magazine it is : if SOS did Not have KARP2600 to review then that would have been embarassing .......
would put a dent in SOS' standing.

Now by having a KARP2600 to review SOS standing in the industry is maintained enhanced.

Damn right going to put KARP2600 on cover :
if anything to show the industry SOS' standing
alongside saying to other magazines eat that suckers as MR T would said.
tea for two
Frequent Poster
Our purpose/s is are unique to us, just as meaning/s of our life is unique to us. These change throughout our life.

Thus should be obvious there is no universal purpose, universal meaning of life. 

Postby desmond » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:10 am

Plus the very high profile cover story and good review might help Korg rethink its position on how many they made, and may actually be a contributory factor to letting those frustrated people annoyed at the first run exclusivity actually end up buying one that they wouldn't otherwise have been able to...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:36 am

Possibly... but only if they vent their frustration directly at Korg rather than SOS... :roll:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Wonks » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:03 am

If I didn't already subscribe, then for me, knowing that the Korg was already sold out, the Korg review wouldn't have enticed me to buy that issue of the magazine. I'd have looked at the contents list to see if there was anything I was interested in, but the 2600 on its own would have put me off. But that's just me.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Forum Admin » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:18 am

Wonks wrote:If I didn't already subscribe, then for me, knowing that the Korg was already sold out, the Korg review wouldn't have enticed me to buy that issue of the magazine ... but the 2600 on its own would have put me off. But that's just me.

So if you were interested in synths, generally, you're saying you wouldn't value reading Gordon's usually insightful review just to stay informed?

So if you were a petrolhead you'd have avoided buying the Top Gear issue that featured a Mclaren F1 on the cover, knowing it too had sold out its production run to Saudi princes et al?

I find that a somewhat bizarre philosophy. :?:

Maybe we should have asked this question on our Reader Survey? ;-)
Forum Admin

Postby Forum Admin » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:29 am

ManFromGlass wrote:I enjoy reading almost every SOS word printed. Substitute the word unaffordable for unobtainable and you’ll be in my position. This also applies to studios I will never mix in, producers and engineers I’ll never get to work with and other music tech and industry milestones I will not be a part of.

+1 Just re-read the topic posts and found this nugget of wisdom from MFG.
Forum Admin

Postby Arpangel » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:35 am

Forum Admin wrote:
ManFromGlass wrote:I enjoy reading almost every SOS word printed. Substitute the word unaffordable for unobtainable and you’ll be in my position. This also applies to studios I will never mix in, producers and engineers I’ll never get to work with and other music tech and industry milestones I will not be a part of.

+1 Just re-read the topic posts and found this nugget of wisdom from MFG.

Artists or engineers we will never work with, that’s understandable, but a £3,000 synth? is that really unaffordable for most of us? If any of us "really" can’t live without one, in these days of easily obtainable credit cards and high limits, it’s really not an issue, if you want one that much and are prepared to take the consequences of borrowing money then it’s yours.
For me personally, and a lot of others I know, nothing in this world is worth getting into debt for, absolutely nothing. Food, clothes for your kids, maybe, but that’s it.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

PreviousNext