You are here

SOS review of Korg ARP2600FS

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: SOS review of Korg ARP2600FS

Postby Zukan » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:23 am

Wonks wrote:If I didn't already subscribe, then for me, knowing that the Korg was already sold out, the Korg review wouldn't have enticed me to buy that issue of the magazine. I'd have looked at the contents list to see if there was anything I was interested in, but the 2600 on its own would have put me off. But that's just me.

That's interesting because I am the opposite. I find articles about vintage synths as interesting as product reviews. In fact, that applies to techniques and all manner of gear. That is what attracted me to SOS in the first place.

I owned an Arp 2600 so for me the article was of great interest.
Zukan

Postby nathanscribe » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:24 am

Arpangel wrote:...a £3,000 synth? is that really unaffordable for most of us?

Depends who you mean by "us" and what you mean by "affordable" - and how that relates to "justifiable". There are plenty of folk attending events with modulars the size of a house, but 3 grand is a *lot* of money for a *lot* of people. It's why Behringer are doing so well, why small tiny cheap things like Volcas sell a lot, why the Microkorg is still going after 13 years.

On topic of magazine coverage, I no longer subscribe but I did buy this issue specifically because of the 2600 review, the Wavestate review, the AMS RMX16 review, the Moog Subsequent 25 review...
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Postby Wonks » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:41 am

Forum Admin wrote:
Wonks wrote:If I didn't already subscribe, then for me, knowing that the Korg was already sold out, the Korg review wouldn't have enticed me to buy that issue of the magazine ... but the 2600 on its own would have put me off. But that's just me.

So if you were interested in synths, generally, you're saying you wouldn't value reading Gordon's usually insightful review just to stay informed?

So if you were a petrolhead you'd have avoided buying the Top Gear issue that featured a Mclaren F1 on the cover, knowing it too had sold out its production run to Saudi princes et al?

I find that a somewhat bizarre philosophy. :?:

Maybe we should have asked this question on our Reader Survey? ;-)

I don't claim to be your average reader, or even vaguely normal. And I wouldn't buy Top Gear. I still haven't read the 2600 review and I probably won't. I'm a guitarist who happens to have a few synths as they interest me, but they aren't my lifeblood. I'm not criticising anything, just giving my point of view.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Arpangel » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:37 pm

nathanscribe wrote:
Arpangel wrote:...a £3,000 synth? is that really unaffordable for most of us?

Depends who you mean by "us" and what you mean by "affordable" - and how that relates to "justifiable". There are plenty of folk attending events with modulars the size of a house, but 3 grand is a *lot* of money for a *lot* of people. It's why Behringer are doing so well, why small tiny cheap things like Volcas sell a lot, why the Microkorg is still going after 13 years.

On topic of magazine coverage, I no longer subscribe but I did buy this issue specifically because of the 2600 review, the Wavestate review, the AMS RMX16 review, the Moog Subsequent 25 review...

I agree, £3,000 is a lot of money, but unlike when I bought my VCS3 for £500 in 1975 finance is easier to get these days, it’s almost impossible not to fund some things, if you want to, or should I say, be irresponsible enough to do so.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby nathanscribe » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:26 pm

I bet that 500 quid is worth a lot more these days as well! When you factor in inflation, some of the old prices can be quite a shock.
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster

Postby Zukan » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:00 pm

There is an Arp 2600 on eBay listed at £7795. I sold mine around 20 odd years ago and got just under 2 grand for it. The list for the limited edition one in the review is not expensive by any means.
Zukan

Postby Arpangel » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:56 am

Zukan wrote:There is an Arp 2600 on eBay listed at £7795. I sold mine around 20 odd years ago and got just under 2 grand for it. The list for the limited edition one in the review is not expensive by any means.

Zukan, that’s interesting, I was offered an ARP2600 (orange face) about 20 years ago for £1,100 I bought an Odyssey from the same guy, and he offered to sort out a deal.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Forum Admin » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:35 am

nathanscribe wrote:On topic of magazine coverage, I no longer subscribe but I did buy this issue specifically because of the 2600 review, the Wavestate review, the AMS RMX16 review, the Moog Subsequent 25 review...

:star: Looking at the sales figures for this issue, which has not completed its sales cycle yet, so too have LOTS of other 'occasional' SOS buyers. And as well, we've sold way more single article PDFs of that review than one would have estimated -- the SOS crew thank you all.

If I were Korg, and demand was this high, I'd make another production run and get down-payments to reserve them.

@Nathanscribe - keep an eye out for next week's APRIL 2020 magazine too -- it's another cracker.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS 11,112 articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
Get FREE Full Issue PDF Digital Mag: https://sosm.ag/FreePDF

Postby Zukan » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:02 am

Arpangel wrote:
Zukan wrote:There is an Arp 2600 on eBay listed at £7795. I sold mine around 20 odd years ago and got just under 2 grand for it. The list for the limited edition one in the review is not expensive by any means.

Zukan, that’s interesting, I was offered an ARP2600 (orange face) about 20 years ago for £1,100 I bought an Odyssey from the same guy, and he offered to sort out a deal.

Tone, all the vintage hardware is overpriced. Some of the worst synths ever made are fetching top money only because they are termed as 'vintage hardware'. For collectibles, I understand the pricing scales.
Zukan

Postby nathanscribe » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:40 pm

Forum Admin wrote:If I were Korg, and demand was this high, I'd make another production run and get down-payments to reserve them.

Yes please. I was seriously considering what I could sell when a friend who'd bagged one told me KMR had one left. I stalled and missed out.

@Nathanscribe - keep an eye out for next week's APRIL 2020 magazine too -- it's another cracker.

Oh no! Not the Hydrasynth, by any chance? Already wanting it. :D
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster

Postby Folderol » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:43 pm

nathanscribe wrote:Oh no! Not the Hydrasynth, by any chance? Already wanting it. :D

It's a lovely piece of kit, sounds fantastic and has a really nice keyboard feel.
However, it's just too complicated for this bear of little brain :(
Information overload gets me every time :cry:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:19 am

I just zoomed in on the cover photo of the synth. I've never done that before with a magazine cover.
It's a really great photo!
Dark, mysterious, enticing, and yet as the song lyric goes " Can't touch this!" (as I am sold out!)
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby N i g e l » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:55 am

ManFromGlass wrote:I just zoomed in on the cover photo of the synth. I've never done that before with a magazine cover.
It's a really great photo!
Dark, mysterious, enticing, and yet as the song lyric goes " Can't touch this!" (as I am sold out!)

I have no use for the Arp but I enjoyed reading about it. It all fits in with the historical bits & bobs that Ive read over the years, fascinating.

Folderol wrote:
nathanscribe wrote:Oh no! Not the Hydrasynth, by any chance? Already wanting it. :D

It's a lovely piece of kit, sounds fantastic and has a really nice keyboard feel.
However, it's just too complicated for this bear of little brain :(
Information overload gets me every time :cry:

Ive not got one or tried one [yet] but Ive watched all the YT videos. The interface is always described as intuitive & easy.
It looks like its got a good dollop of VA too, so not just a wave table thingy
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:02 pm

N i g e l wrote:The interface is always described as intuitive & easy.
It looks like its got a good dollop of VA too, so not just a wave table thingy
It really is a very simple interface. The word 'intuitive' may be overused, but this is as close as I have been to it with such an internally sophisticated synth.

I was hovering over the 'buy' button myself, but space is a huge issue for me, so I will have to see how I feel about the module once I've had a chance to try it out for longer than the 15 minutes I had at SynthFest.

If anyone has the module I would be interested to know about the compromises it involves.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby N i g e l » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:55 pm

from what ive picked up, the sound engine & parameters are identical to both.

Keyboard
* is bigger more spacious layout, has a poly AT kb
* some knobs bigger
*wheels, ribbon (with theramin mode), glide and chord buttons
*Arpeggiator has 4 more knobs
* filter has 2 more knobs
*different positioning of system "schematic" buttons
* 2 head phones out [ ideal for hydrasynth lessons ! ]

Module has velocity & pressure pads, is rack mountable, leads are recessed underneath and so is the on/off switch which could be a fiddle. Some functions need "shift" key.

I dont have one so please fact check !
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

PreviousNext