You are here

One Synth Challenge IV - The Voyage(r) Home

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: One Synth Challenge IV - The Voyage(r) Home

Postby Folderol » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:27 am

12 is bugging me too. I can't think of anyone I know that anything like that accent - unless of course someone has been really sneaky and dragged in a friend to do the vocal :?
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby blinddrew » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:48 am

The Elf wrote:
Studio Support Gnome wrote:8 is Elf...
Oh no it isn't!

I really, REALLY like Track 8. I wish it *were* me! :lol:

All I will say is that I've pretended to be something that I'm very much not! ;)
I had thought about The Elf for track 8, partly just for the production quality, but now that he's said this ^^^ I'm wondering if he's actually on a Yoshimi Pi and could, in fact, be responsible for number 6.

But I really should stop guessing!
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby IAA » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:19 am

Again the range and quality is breathtaking , well done everyone and thanks Dave for a moment of focus in the current calamity. It also proved to me again how nailing a synth from a full mix is so very difficult..(obviously on GS they'd get them all straight away :D ). But anyway here is my take;

Track 1 - Thats a great lead line and filter shape. lovely eminent type swells - Im thinking this might have some proper analogue in - possibly OB6?? Its a track I can see rolling over the intro credits to some BBC Sci FI programme (that’s a compliment!)

Track 2 - This is JMJ like - I like it lovely self contained tune - I’d say this maybe is The Elf?? certainly some nice harmonies and subtle pads??

Track 3 - I like this development, the string line is great and on closer listening has glassy wavetable elements Is it the Hydrasynth - Eddy D? and some of the those big chords with pitch shift feel like a ribbon controller - great sounds I love this and the range of sounds if I’m right I’m getting one! Its also a lovely structured build and there was always something new.

Track 4 - that’s a bass starter! my headphones were flapping a bit - a great soundscape - I’m thinking VA because of the contrasts - particularly that bass at 5 mins in with the organ and the flute!

Track 5 - Nice chord and bass development, An EP and wide synth pads?? Possibly a Roland XV or similar - this is a great soundtrack development idea

Track 6 - Mahler wow I love it - someone here has great orchestral chops - it works really well the sounds are just right, understated enough not to detract from the emotion of the Adagietto

Track 7 - Possible mono synth - might this be one of the Berrys - nicely filtered noise in there and wandering bass

Track 8 - VI or Rompler if the bass is done by it, reminds me of an 80s anthem - Ive no idea who did this its a bright song all over which again makes me think more polished romper sounds

Track 9 - that’s a tasty squelchy bass opener - and those high pitched and warbled FX feel VI - some pink floyd references perhaps (never a bad set of references in my book). The final chord run definately feels more digital than analog???

Track 10 - home blown samples or stock from old sampler? I like the oriental shape of this - it could have gone longer for me and blossomed more I was intrigued.

Track 11 - Mmmmm I wonder….I know this one I’m sure, it’s a whatsit surely?

Track 12 - Love this - well done and the lyrics are so spot on!!! Bryan Adams crossed with Kraftwerk this really is very very good - I’d say the Elf was having fun with us but Im sure he doesn’t use a Mac! Bravo!!

Track 13 - I like this development and the sounds building from the faux church organ and the bass pedals - its either a mono synth with dedication to recording multiple passes or ?? the bass is really deep but holds perfect tune - so not an old vintage I think. the sounds set suits the deliberate development of the piece ,

Ian
IAA
Frequent Poster

Postby Folderol » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:50 am

OK Just one guess here. Logarithm for number 6, but no idea on the synth.

P.S I must say the track order works very well for an extended album.
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby BJG145 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:20 am

Folderol wrote: I must say the track order works very well for an extended album.

I like the way Dave put the 7/4 track as no. 7...
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby N i g e l » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:48 am

Very high standard of work, Well done !
Ive just had a quick browse through, I will give them a good listen this evening, maybe to find a hydrasynth..

[1] reminded me of Blakes 7 incidental music. That timpani is a clue ?

[2] Space folk remix ! Envelope modulation of pulsewidth .
The tune is bugging me, I can imagine the song being sung but just cant place it - Bellow head ? A life story & somthing about setting off to sea at the age of 17. Arghh thats going to be an ear worm.

[10] Physical modelling & the Queens own snare drummers - Yamaha VL1, Vl7, VL70, Kawai, Korg Prophecy ????

blinddrew wrote:Just listening to track 12 again. Firstly it reminds me of just how good a songwriter Bryan Adams was, but secondly, with regard to the new lyrics here,

[12] A programmer for a German bank ? A Bill Bailey fan [Kraftwerk/Hokey Cokey]
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby fruitcake » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:17 pm

I finally got a good listen on headphones. These tracks are so great! Well done everyone. I am honored to be included. I've no idea what any of these synths are. The production is really good all around.

1. Tangerine Dream meets Morricone.

2. Wonderfully pastoral. I could imagine laying in a green field staring at clouds and sheep.

3. The blending of the sequenced notes and pads is beautiful. lots of movement, gorgeous tones.

4. Not sure what's going on here. Probably should have spent more time on this. But a really nice hardware synthesizer!

5. Is that a train crossing a bridge? Very relaxing and smooth. Something Sigur Ros about this to me.

6. I really like the long evolving textures. LFO?, ENV?

7. I could hear this as the soundtrack in a caper film as the protagonist prepares the devices and tools that crack the security system at the Royal Bank of Scotland

8. A great groove here. The perfect amount of flourishes to keep it interesting. Love the bleeps and gurgles and whale sounds that fade in and out.

9. Utter drivel.

10. The repeating thumb piano rhythm mixed with the wood block sound is truly hypnotic. Love the melody that ties it all together.

11. I love all these sounds! And a great composition well played. I'd buy this synth. If I had a place to put it.

12. Not sure what's better, the lyrics or the pure mastery of 80s synth vocabulary!

13. This is a haunting fairy tale of sound. Like the Pied Synther leading the children of Hamlin out of quarantine.

Thank you Dave B. for assembling this outstanding playlist and giving me something to look forward to during this lockdown.
fruitcake
Regular
Here are some Unfinished Sounds

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:40 pm

I'm in full agreement there is a bunch of lovely work there. Not suggesting a big reveal just yet but might it be time to have the definitive list of names to help us a bit, just to see if we can all the tracks with their respective creators?!
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.
Please consider submitting an original track to the 2nd SOS Forum Album project!

Postby arkieboy » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:43 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:Not suggesting a big reveal just yet but might it be time to have a list of names to help us a bit, just to see if we can match people to tracks?!

That will just lead to the Cluedo players trying to work out who did what from the comments ....

;)
arkieboy
Regular

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:46 pm

arkieboy wrote:
Eddy Deegan wrote:Not suggesting a big reveal just yet but might it be time to have a list of names to help us a bit, just to see if we can match people to tracks?!

That will just lead to the Cluedo players trying to work out who did what from the comments ....

;)

Hmm.. you might have a point there and IIRC that happened a bit last year. It's been a busy couple of days but I'm going to sit down and have a proper go this evening at putting together some notes/guesses on who did which and with what (ish)!
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.
Please consider submitting an original track to the 2nd SOS Forum Album project!

Postby Folderol » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:48 pm

arkieboy wrote:

;)
How about instead a list of the synths with no mention of who used them or on what tracks?
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby fruitcake » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:05 pm

How about instead a list of the synths with no mention of who used them or on what tracks?

Ooh, I like that!
fruitcake
Regular
Here are some Unfinished Sounds

Postby arkieboy » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:14 pm

fruitcake wrote:

Ooh, I like that!

That would have the advantage of leading to discussion about how synths sound and not what 'X' last had in their rig when 'Y' popped round for a cup of sugar ...
arkieboy
Regular

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:34 pm

fruitcake wrote:

Ooh, I like that!

That gets my vote too!
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.

Postby blinddrew » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:50 pm

Go on Dave, put us into further misery... ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

PreviousNext