You are here

One Synth Challenge IV - The Voyage(r) Home

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: One Synth Challenge IV - The Voyage(r) Home

Postby fruitcake » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:01 pm

Firstly, let me say I’m humbled to be included in a group of obviously superior musicians.

Secondly, not so humbly, I did manage a few correct guesses along the way. :bouncy:

The Challenge came at a perfect time for me. I’ve been working a lot over the past years at something having nothing to do with music. Music is a hobby that’s taken a back seat since I got married and piled on the responsibilities. So on 3/16 the plug was pulled on my project. And pretty much every other one in my field. I was going to be shut inside with no work. Yay! One Synth Challenge :bouncy: :bouncy:

I bought both the K5000r and the MSR2 before I was married. At that time I had a rack full of sound modules and a few keyboards. Nothing too fancy, but some nice synths. Everything has gone away over time as I needed space and wasn’t playing very often. I kept a few pieces that I thought were special. My Yamaha CS-15, the K5000 and the MSR2.

The first track I worked on was with the MSR2. I have always like the sounds it’s capable of. And the programming is not too hard. The MSR2 has 2 separate synths inside that can be mixed together. I started with preset sounds and tweaked settings to get more movement in the sounds. I started off with a bass line and built up from there. I recorded the MIDI tracks , then played the parameters live as I recorded to audio one at a time. Even though both the MSR2 and the K5000 are multitimbral, I opted to print the audio of each track as I built up. Both songs evolved as they went along. No grand vision here. For processing I used compression and EQ, a sprinkle of reverb, dash of delay.
For the K5000 I wanted to do something more ambient. As was mentioned, the K5000r is not very easy to program from the front buttons. The factory sounds are mostly meh. When I first bought it back in the 90s I had an editor/librarian that ran on MacOS 7 that made working on patches easier. Unfortunately, it is no longer supported. In a fit of frustration I downloaded Midi Quest 12. It ends up being a nice editor for the K5000. Now I’ll have to buy more old synths to use it on! Anyhow, there are 6 sound sources available that can be set to Additive or a selection of PCM sounds. When using the additive sounds, you get the harmonic envelopes. I don’t think I did justice to what it’s capable of. But I think some of it comes through. The most obvious is the bass pulse at the end has the gain and bias of the envelope ramping up slowly. I’ll spend a little more time with this one.

One more time, thank you Dave B, for putting the OSC in motion. I’m very grateful to be included.
fruitcake
Regular
Here are some Unfinished Sounds

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:57 pm

Bravo one and all, and it's great to revisit all the tracks now we know not only who they were created by, but also using which synth.

I'm afraid the only guess I got correct was Will (folderol) as no.13, on his famous Yoshimi Pi, but this makes this post the perfect opportunity to announce that I'm now joining the official Yoshimi Pi club, as I'm expecting a delivery of said synth towards the end of next week. Thanks Will.

Hooray! :bouncy:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:13 pm

BillB wrote:As well as naming the tracks on Soundcloud, would the contributors be willing to make them downloadable?

No problem at all with that from me; here is a hi-res download-enabled version released under a Creative Commons license.

The track is called Yoshimisynthesis.

https://soundcloud.com/eddy-deegan/yoshimisynthesis

Thank you very much all for the nice comments, my congratulations to all who participated and big thanks to Dave for organising, even though he spelled my name wrong in the big reveal :tongue:
[Just fixed that for you - MW]

:clap: :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Jedi Poster
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:19 pm

Rich Hanson wrote:
desmond wrote:
7. Nothing Ever New by Rich Hanson. And his King Korg

I said many times Rich's was number 7 but his reality distortion field is strong. I would never have guess this quirky little number was a big fat Korg rompler, so good job on the obfuscation. Actually, it reminds me a bit of Stewart Copeland's incidental music for the Equalizer, just with more fluffy pillows.

Ah, that's a bit of a disservice to the KingKorg, it's more a VA synth with a few samples thrown in for good measure.

I have to agree with Rich here. The KingKorg is primarily VA and it's one of my favourites too ;)

Also much underestimated by some, perhaps because of its slightly silly name!
Eddy Deegan
Jedi Poster
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby Folderol » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:37 pm

I can tell you that this challenge has got as far as Italy (at least). I've just had an email from one of 'Yoshimi's little band of helpers' who thoroughly enjoyed all the tracks.
Oh, and he zeroed in on my track, but had no idea at all about any of the others - he was especially impressed with what Eddy had done when the names and details came out. Drew's and Desmond's are his favourites.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby desmond » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:28 pm

BillB wrote:As well as naming the tracks on Soundcloud, would the contributors be willing to make them downloadable?

Sure, I have no problem with that.

I'm going to do another minor mix revision to sort out a few remaining issues that niggle me - I had a bit of a nightmare with the mix due to a pretty dire current monitoring situation (it's not so much that I can't trust my ears, it's that everything I have was actively trying it's best to confuse and lie to me!) I was hoping to get some new headphones before the deadline and finish it up that way, but due to delays because of the current situation they only came the day the playlist was posted, so I couldn't take advantage of that.

So just a few tweaks to do before I leave it, and then i'll put mine up here for download... :thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby arkieboy » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:34 pm

No problems with a d/l from my quarter.
arkieboy
Regular

Postby Folderol » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:54 pm

Fine by me too.
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby IAA » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:01 pm

More the merrier!
IAA
Frequent Poster

Postby Rich Hanson » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:17 pm

No problem with that here either.
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:51 pm

Bit of background on Track 5, and why I shamelessly cheated.
Well, maybe I'm a little ashamed.
I did have a bit of a plan, a stupidly complicated plan, for the next OSC, but the approach I wanted to go for would have taken far more time than I had available at the moment.
You might not tell it from my posts and frequency on here but things are actually a bit busy and stressed at Trollholm at the moment so I jumped on something in progress.
I have a very, very limited set of options for synths, but I've been working on a track for a while now that made extensive use of the Spitfire Labs stuff. So I grabbed that as a starter, replaced the pad section that I'd created in Xpand2 with a couple more instances of Labs. Played a bit of guitar in via JamOrigin's Midi guitar (because I am a terrible keyboard player*) and routed that to another instance of labs. Replaced the two piano parts with a rhodesy type for the main lead and a couple of other labs (charango and music box I think) for the 'solo' towards the end.
That just left the vocals, so I grabbed another dose of JamOrigin and routed that to a couple of the London atmos sounds from Labs. This doesn't normally result in any kind of useable output by the way, but in this case all I needed was some kind of midi trigger, note details were pretty much irrelevant as this was just creating the rattley noises.
Downloadable version here: https://soundcloud.com/blinddrew/from-u ... RXNBFAeAML
It's called From Underground Looking Up because the rattley noises reminded me of the tube, and the original song is all about the space race.
The original is still in progress (waiting on Eddy and his mate to have their lives back in order!) but there's a version here that sets out the stall: https://soundcloud.com/blinddrew/only-a ... Hse5wFyK6p

* The origin of the original piece involved me sitting at a piano and thinking, 'what happens if I just play the black notes?'
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby blinddrew » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:09 pm

desmond wrote:I'm going to do another minor mix revision to sort out a few remaining issues that niggle me - I had a bit of a nightmare with the mix due to a pretty dire current monitoring situation (it's not so much that I can't trust my ears, it's that everything I have was actively trying it's best to confuse and lie to me!) I was hoping to get some new headphones before the deadline and finish it up that way, but due to delays because of the current situation they only came the day the playlist was posted, so I couldn't take advantage of that.

So just a few tweaks to do before I leave it, and then i'll put mine up here for download... :thumbup:
Looking forward to that, I was pretty blown away by this. :thumbup:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:10 pm

blinddrew wrote:The original is still in progress (waiting on Eddy and his mate to have their lives back in order!) but there's a version here that sets out the stall: https://soundcloud.com/blinddrew/only-a ... Hse5wFyK6p

Love where this is going. :clap: :thumbup:

blinddrew wrote:Looking forward to that, I was pretty blown away by this. :thumbup:

:blush: :thumbup:

Uploading, bear with me...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Folderol » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:25 pm

blinddrew wrote:The origin of the original piece involved me sitting at a piano and thinking, 'what happens if I just play the black notes?'
It's called massively cheating as it's almost impossible to hit a note that sounds 'wrong' :lol:
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:44 pm

Folderol wrote:
blinddrew wrote:The origin of the original piece involved me sitting at a piano and thinking, 'what happens if I just play the black notes?'
It's called massively cheating as it's almost impossible to hit a note that sounds 'wrong' :lol:
but I didn't know this! Normally I only play the white notes so all of the black notes sound wrong! Or you pretend you were going for 'blues'. ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext