You are here

One Synth Challenge IV - The Voyage(r) Home

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: One Synth Challenge IV - The Voyage(r) Home

Postby BJG145 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:07 pm

Track 1 is nostalgic...trying to remember what that is. Radiophonic Workshop? Nice one. :thumbup:
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby BJG145 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:39 pm

Track 2 - has a kind of reversed sound, nice chord progressions and almost a space-folk flavour. I'm guessing analogue synth.

Track 3 has a retro feel, and some lovely arp sounds. I think this could be a Novation; something like a Supernova. Very nice.

Track 4 is an interesting one. Might this be Ramirez...? There are elements that remind me of FM, but other stuff as well, like an SY77 or something, but with more hands-on control. Could be in modular territory perhaps.

Track 5 - classy and sombre. No idea what's producing those clattering sample-like fragments though.

Track 6 - lovely ethereal classical feel, can't decide whether this is vintage or modern.

Track 8 - this is cool, I'm thinking of some more modern workstation-type synth here, like a Motif or a Kronos. Or a guitar synth? Nice playing. Great vibe.

Track 9...very squelchy. This has to be some analogue or VA synth. No idea. I'll guess DSI.

Track 11 - this one's fun - it has me thinking of early times. I wonder if this might be some old classic like an Ensoniq.

Track 12 - lol!

Track 13 - Klezmer feel...hmm...

Impressed by the time and skill that have gone into creating these pieces.
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:46 pm

What a talented lot you are! :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbup:

Track 1. Sounds ARP-ish? Lovely monosynth sounds. Maybe a Behringer Odyssey?
Track 2. Guitar synth-ish?
Track 3. Nice bitey filter envelopes and super-rich pads. Novation Summit?
Track 4. Is this a Yoshimi in the fold? Clever use of synced delay effects.
Track 5. I'm going to guess this is the Hydrasynth. If it is I'm as sold on it now as I was at Synthfest!
Track 6. I'm going for Yoshimi again. I've got to be right at some time! Lol!
Track 7. Clever little piece - very Radiophonic circa 1974! I'll guess reface CS, with little hope of guessing correctly.
Track 8. Ooh! This one oozes in like warm syrup down the spine. Lovely piece of music. Ignoring the drums(?) I'm going to guess Novation Summit again. I'm coming back to this one a few times...
Track 9. I could imagine my JP-8080 creating a lot of these sounds?
Track 10. Fascinating sounds. Reminds me of that old Yamaha string modelling synth I could never get hold of. Whatever it is, it's got a creative owner.
Track 11. Lush. OB6?
Track 12. :lol: :thumbup: Behringer Neutron?
Track 13. Yoshimi. Definitely Yoshimi. Or... Hang on...
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Folderol » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:03 pm

Just had the running in the background while doing domestic 'stuff' to get an overall feel of it. People have really upped the stakes this time. I'll have another listen properly when I've got more time.
Oh and number 12... Love it. :bouncy:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:08 pm

The Elf wrote:Reminds me of that old Yamaha string modelling synth I could never get hold of

Nothing to do with the OSC but might that be the VL1?

On the OSC, two people have got mine wrong so far ;-)

Currently unable to listen but can't wait to get back to it.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:51 pm

Woo - standards have reached a new high. Really enjoying this listening experience, but will say more when I've had more time to listen.

Well done everybody! :clap:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby desmond » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:03 pm

So far, I've discovered that:-

- Listening to the music is the easy bit.
- Trying to listen for the one synth used is bloody hard! :o :lolno:

(Especially as I think people are putting in things to deliberately/intentionally mislead or misdirect...)
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby fruitcake » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:10 pm

Wow!! Really great stuff here! What a talented bunch. I have no idea what any of the synths are but my notes on first listen:

1. Waldorf?
2. Wave table
3. A newer analogue. Eddy?
11. Sounds Oberhiem-y
fruitcake
Regular
Here are some Unfinished Sounds

Postby BillB » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:12 pm

Just had a first run through - what a fabulous standard throughout. There's a lot here will be going into my 'regular listen' collection.

I have not been paying enough attention to follow who has submitted tracks, which leaves the field rather open, but I think I recognise two styles in there:

Track 1 - Eddie Deegan? - great chord progressions and fast arps. Again, not been paying enough attention to his recent purchases, but i would guess a Prophet.

and to round out -
Track 13 - Folderol (Will)? - your lovely, unique blend of synth and folk. The default option would be to say 'Yoshimi' but I think you mentioned looking elsewhere... but probably Yoshimi. :D

Off to have another listen through. I'm meant to be writing a report - you guys don't make it easy - such great music and synthesis demands to be listened to.

Oh, and much LOLing through track 12.
"Thought we'd be a big hit with the ladies, but we mainly got spotty geeky boys!"
:bouncy:
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:13 pm

Ok, now we turn to the results from the British jury, at Synth Headquarters (just south of Dagenham).
"Calling desmond, hello desmond (bonjour, dey'mon)..?"

"What?! Wait, er... oh shi.. now? er.. hang on, where's me notes...? ok.. yes-YES! I'm here! Here we go! Starting with track number:-

1 - hmm poly? thinnish? analog style. nice phased chords. jm jarre-ish. I liked the drama :)
2 - nice intro pads. weird backwards env. monosynth. sci pro one? nice composition and arrangement, esp ending section.
3 - prophet 5/synthexish, not moogy. mono at first. chords from monosynth but pads in middle. nice ascending stuff
4 - ambient intro, a bit abstract. but... slap bass? organ? Something like an M1 or rompler?
6 - nice pads. fairly static. softsynth or rompler? (12 minutes!!)
7 - synth drums (808ish) whistling, analog. No idea. Let's say it's Uli's Neutron...
8 - I like the groove on this. Doesn't sound very analog though. Something rompler-ish?
9 - this person has invented synth noir. nice mood and compositional elements. must be a black and white synth, no colour, then turns into an 80s synthwave chase. pro-one or DSI type vibe?
10 - Not what I'd expect from a "synth track"! plucky, but not physical modelling (it's a bit too static), but maybe the lead is. I don't think it's FM anyway.
11 - Is this The Deegan? Analog poly. Moog One? This reminds me of the bit in Bill & Teds where Mozart goes into a music shop and starts composing in the keyboard section! (Oh wait, it's Beeth-oven isn't it?)
12 - This is funny, so I'd say it was Dave, but I don't think he's this clever. Or does that well on zer chermann akkzent. Whoever conceived this is a brilliant bastard :D Hopefully they designed and built the synth they used with some cornflake boxes and a few E&MM circuits... And.. extra bonus points for the ending :D
13 - This is a space-accordion-chambermusic-polka. I don't think any more needs to be said. Yoshimi?

And my "Doozy Points" goes to...

5 - beautiful. *love* it. my fave track, and right up my street. some kind of modern hybrid synth, prophet x type thing?
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby fatbenelton » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:27 pm

Really impressive stuff. No idea other than perhaps a Wavestation or M1 on track 4.

Either way, brilliant set of tracks.
fatbenelton
Frequent Poster
Jonny

Postby Rich Hanson » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:21 pm

Such a variety, I couldn't even begin to try to guess who did what.

I'm with The Elf, there are a few options that I initially thought was Folderol. I'm confused :D

Well done everybody!
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:07 pm

I think this may be the point where I confess I cheated...

But only very much in the spirit of the rules. :D
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:11 pm

Track 12 is epic, bravo whoever it was :lol:

Was it Dr. Huge Longjohns? But as for the rest, so far I've no idea except for number 13 (I'm 99% sure it's Folderol!) and I'm resorting down to the 'analogue or digital' level!

Edit: and of course number 5... I'll say 'nicely done Drew' unless it's a cover by someone else in which case I'll say 'nicely done whoever you are!' :-)
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby Logarhythm » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:23 pm

Amazing work all round :clap: :clap: :clap:
Track 12 should become the official anthem of this section of the forum :lol: :clap:

blinddrew wrote:I think this may be the point where I confess I cheated...

But only very much in the spirit of the rules. :D
I did too, albeit in a slightly different way to you, assuming your track is the one I think it is :D
Logarhythm
Frequent Poster
Location: On an intergalactic voyage to collect fresh electrons

PreviousNext