You are here

How to Achieve Something, Anything Similar To This?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

How to Achieve Something, Anything Similar To This?

Postby atomicody » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:45 pm

I've been messing around with learning to make music w/ FL Studio & I heard something recently that really gave me chills. I'm not asking how to perfectly recreate what he's done, I'm not interested in ripping someone off.. I would simply love if anyone could offer any insight on how one might go about doing what he did here. It begins at about 1:06 of Porter Robinson's song "Something Comforting", here's a YouTube link https://youtu.be/IGrhyOtikQ0?t=66

I'm not the most experienced yet- but I was thinking that might be an audio sample that he's controlling the pitch with? Or.. what kinds of shapes and filters might one build within a patch to do this? I really just want to play with sounds like that!
atomicody

Re: How to Achieve Something, Anything Similar To This?

Postby BJG145 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:27 pm

My first thoughts were flute/Nexus...maybe something useful in this video...?

https://youtu.be/VrXHuHUGckw?t=78

(Less breath and decay than that.)
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:34 pm

He's either playing a sample in a sampler, or using whatever editing tools in his DAW to change the pitch of an audio file.

As to the source of the sample, who knows?
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby atomicody » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:29 pm

BJG145 wrote:My first thoughts were flute/Nexus...maybe something useful in this video...?

https://youtu.be/VrXHuHUGckw?t=78

(Less breath and decay than that.)

Hey, that's a start! I understand how vague the nature of my question is but this is exactly what I was looking for -- ideas.
atomicody

Postby atomicody » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:40 pm

desmond wrote:He's either playing a sample in a sampler, or using whatever editing tools in his DAW to change the pitch of an audio file.

As to the source of the sample, who knows?

That's something I thought about for sure. I'll have to explore it more.
on the topic of this song, I had a very general question along with it if you happen to know.
I'm a little confused so far in understanding exactly how things behave within a DAW according to the BPM.. the drums in this song feel crazy high energy! When I look around for how to make really fast drum patterns like that, people tend to throw around the number 174-- for things like.. Drum and Bass. However, when I tempo tap to this song, or put it thru any online tools that supposedly tell you it's BPM.. it reads 144. I've tried my hand at playing with drum samples but no luck in creating anything as hype as this. Any chance someone could expand on/have any resources for where I might wrap my head around programming drums?
atomicody

Postby MOF » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:20 pm

If you’re after that particular lead sound then I suggest you pitch bend the track until it resembles ‘normal’ sound(s) then reverse the process with your own samples.
I wouldn’t take it as gospel that the track has to be at 178bpm, if you want to create a track similar to this one and it’s at 144bpm then use that as your template.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby nathanscribe » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:54 pm

Sounds like a pitched-up and heavily processed vocal sample with a short but smooth loop, to me. Compare with this famous patch, for example: https://youtu.be/OWOaN_azH1s?t=43

Not saying it's the same thing, but it sounds ballpark to my ears.
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
I have no idea what I'm doing.