You are here

Polyend Tracker

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Polyend Tracker

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:58 pm

Anyone else been keeping half en eye on the Polyend Tracker?

https://www.soundonsound.com/news/polyend-tease-tracker

Old-school tracker-style sequencing in hardware combined with onboard granular synthesis/sampling? Yes please :-)
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Re: Polyend Tracker

Postby The Elf » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:04 pm

I can't be sure, but I had a bit of a play with a granular device at Synthfest last year, and it might have been this? In which case I found it quite an inspiring device.

The sequencer leaves me totally cold, though. I see little need for it when we have DAWs.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:15 pm

The Elf wrote:I can't be sure, but I had a bit of a play with a granular device at Synthfest last year, and it might have been this? In which case I found it quite an inspiring device.

The sequencer leaves me totally cold, though. I see little need for it when we have DAWs.

Although there is something to be said for sequencing using different methods it's as much a nostalgia thing as anything else, at least for me. I also have a soft spot for hardware sequencers and though I love my Pyramid I've pre-ordered a Tracker as it does look like a lot of fun and a bit more 'hands on' than the Pyramid is.

The DAW rules for some things, but now and again I find that picking up a small piece of hardware and spinning up an alternative environment to play around in is a great thing to do :)
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.

Postby Ben Asaro » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:06 pm

It's cool, but I prefer the NerdSeq.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby dpathic2001 » Thu May 28, 2020 10:48 pm

Ben Asaro wrote:It's cool, but I prefer the NerdSeq.

Nice, but not really comparable given the outboard gear requirement of the NerdSeq
dpathic2001

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri May 29, 2020 3:25 am

I looked at the NerdSeq (I'd not heard of it before) and it looks interesting but less powerful by some margin than the Polyend. The availability of Eurorack form-factor is a big plus but it seems to have a lot less editing and composing features, as well as a limited number of steps compared to the Polyend, although it does offer stereo sample support, which the Polyend doesn't.

I'm not dissing it at all, but the Poly end seems to me to take the concept of a hardware tracker one or two steps beyond the feature-set offered by the NerdSeq, even though the fact that the latter is avialable in Eurorack form-factor is amazing.

I've not laid hands on either at this point, so I'm only going on what I've seen and read.

We're lucky to have choices. In the event I get along with the Polyend half as well as I think/hope I will, I suspect I'll be in the market for a Nerdseq just for the form-factor coolness. It would be really neat to be able to transfer work from one of them to the other in a meaningful way as well, though that might just be wishful thinking!
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.

Postby BobTheDog » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:15 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:
The Elf wrote:I can't be sure, but I had a bit of a play with a granular device at Synthfest last year, and it might have been this? In which case I found it quite an inspiring device.

Although there is something to be said for sequencing using different methods it's as much a nostalgia thing as anything else, at least for me. I also have a soft spot for hardware sequencers and though I love my Pyramid I've pre-ordered a Tracker as it does look like a lot of fun and a bit more 'hands on' than the Pyramid is.

The DAW rules for some things, but now and again I find that picking up a small piece of hardware and spinning up an alternative environment to play around in is a great thing to do :)

Hi Eddy,

Who did you pre-order with?

Cheers

Andy
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:19 pm

BobTheDog wrote:Who did you pre-order with?

Hi Andy ... I pre-ordered direct from Polyend themselves here.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.

Postby BobTheDog » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:27 am

Nice, thanks for the info. I will do the same...
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:30 pm

Mine arrived this morning, just in time for the weekend :)
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.

Postby BJG145 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:12 pm

Nice! I'll be interested to hear how you get on with that, and maybe you could treat us to a couple of tunes. I picked up a Polyend Perc just before lockdown which I haven't had a chance to revisit yet, but it's a lovely piece of engineering. (Been thinking wistfully about a Polyend Seq to go with it.)
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:23 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:Mine arrived this morning, just in time for the weekend :)
Should go well with a Yoshimi Pi :lol:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:31 pm

BJG145 wrote:Nice! I'll be interested to hear how you get on with that, and maybe you could treat us to a couple of tunes.

I'm pretty sure I'll have a half-decent noodle from my weekend experiments to share!

Folderol wrote:Should go well with a Yoshimi Pi :lol:

Funny you should mention that... they are both sitting adjacent to the Hydrasynth as I completely agree with you :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.