You are here

jx8p purchase goes out of tune??

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

jx8p purchase goes out of tune??

Postby slightly » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:56 pm

bought a jx8p before xmas, first thing I noticed recently was frequent intermittent crackling,
I sprayed deoxit into the h m l switch on back and the crackling is gone

now what I noticed is It can be sitting there two hours on, before I go to use, then I try playing a bass line from a patch in poly mode all is fine for about ten mins then everything goes badly out of tune

Cant really afford a service at the min but might have to try somehow but with these being DCOs I thought it would never have gone out of tune?

any thoughts on what might be issue
slightly
Regular

Re: jx8p purchase goes out of tune??

Postby Wonks » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:29 pm

Is it being sequenced from a computer or is this live playing?

There might be something sending a pitch-shift message which isn't getting cleared - or the unit's pitch bender is moving and not returning to a zero value?
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby slightly » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:08 pm

Well, Im using ableton with it at same time, however right now when this is happening, Im not playing a midi sequence,"back to it" but I have been using a midi keyboard into ableton to play the jx8p the last few times when this I think might have started happening

maybe only once before this I was using the jx8p itself with programmer and didnt noticed this with ableton open

but its fine for about 15 mins this way, and then really starts to drift

I did power off on and it wasnt as bad so it seemed but still weird and would go again
slightly
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:45 pm

Wonks wrote: ...or the unit's pitch bender is moving and not returning to a zero value?

If you've already had to spray DeOxit on a switch, random pitch bender messages could indeed be the trouble - I've had similar problems in the past, when even slight vibrations nearby have resulted in pitch bend data coming out of the keyboard.

For a first quick test, try moving the pitch bend up and down a few times and then leaving it alone to see if the problem disappears. If it does, it's time to open up and use FaderLube of some description.

Martin
Martin Walker