You are here

Getting a good Rhodes sound?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Getting a good Rhodes sound?

Postby Arpangel » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:22 am

I need a good Rhodes sound, as I’m using it more and more in our music lately, it seems to work better than acoustic piano in our marimba duo.
I don’t really want to get an original, they are heavy, and reliability can be a bit of an issue.
Plus, the extra sounds in something like a Nord, or a Montage would be very useful.
I watched. A demo of the Montage by Matt Johnson, and the Rhodes sound he had was sublime, really warm, and beefy, with none of that OTT envelope attack you can get on some presets.
But, I know the Montage has the ability to automatically load and map any sound from a midi keyboard, and I’m wondering if it was one of his external samples? As I can’t seem to hear that sound on any other demos.
I’m thinking of maybe a Vintage Vibe, the Montage, or a Nord Stage 3, the sounds I’m inspired by are Chick Corea, Steely Dan, and Ray Charles, I’ll just leave you with this amazing video, oh my God, pure inspiration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIGoqv8zlRE
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: Getting a good Rhodes sound?

Postby The Elf » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:25 am

reface CP. Cable it up, hide it somewhere unobtrusive and MIDI it with a decent keyboard. Instant 'every EP I ever wanted'.

But I think we had this conversation before and you don't like the reface CP?
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby N i g e l » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:12 pm

Yeah, whats wrong with the Reface sound wise ?
:thumbup:

I ve got a dyno-my-piano type Rhodes patch elsewhere which I also like for the Rhodes, On the Reface I tend to use the CP sound the most,

The Elf wrote:reface CP. Cable it up

previously I suggested NiMH batteries to avoid the PSU/cable - I retract that now as, although its good, the battery end game is rather abrupt !
:thumbdown:
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:14 pm

The Elf wrote:reface CP. Cable it up, hide it somewhere unobtrusive and MIDI it with a decent keyboard. Instant 'every EP I ever wanted'.

But I think we had this conversation before and you don't like the reface CP?

Elf I bought one! It is good, but it’s lacking something, I think it’s the way it responds to velocity?
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby N i g e l » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:20 pm

Do you mean how the sound is affected by velocity or keyboard curve ? If its the latter that should be adjustable on an external kb.
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:36 pm

Arpangel wrote:Elf I bought one! It is good, but it’s lacking something, I think it’s the way it responds to velocity?
Ah, OK - my mistake. :headbang:

The velocity response I find to be a bit on the heavy side, but at least I don't hear the horrible velocity-switching found on most sample-based devices.

As Nigel says, you can do something about the velocity response mapping to some extent, but if you're coming from real instruments to an electronically simulated device the connection between velocity and what you hear is always going to be a compromise.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Humble Bee » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:58 pm

Recently had the pleasure to hear a Crumar Mojo 61 and I was very impressed by the sounds in general and the B3, Rhodes and Wurly especially. My keyboard player friend has put his NE6 up for sale...
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:30 pm

Arpangel wrote:Elf I bought one! It is good, but it’s lacking something, I think it’s the way it responds to velocity?

Are you using the keyboard on the Reface or an external keyboard? I'm not a Rhodes player but I do have a Wurlitzer. I found that the Wurlitzer VSTi that I was using worked far better once I used a weighted keyboard with a similar feel to the real Wurlitzer.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Arpangel » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:21 am

James Perrett wrote:

Are you using the keyboard on the Reface or an external keyboard? I'm not a Rhodes player but I do have a Wurlitzer. I found that the Wurlitzer VSTi that I was using worked far better once I used a weighted keyboard with a similar feel to the real Wurlitzer.

Hi, I’m using the Behringer master keyboard, it’s OK, but not great.
The Rhodes sound has become such a big part of my music now, I have to invest a bit in it I think.
I’m on Mac now, and I used to have a nice little free VSTi called "Mr Ray" that was a great little thing, but I’m on Mac now and I can’t use it.
I do like the a Montage, but as ai said, I need to check it out thoroughly, but the Matt Johnson video was very good indeed, great Rhodes sound.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Ramirez » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:55 am

Arpangel wrote:
James Perrett wrote:

Hi, I’m using the Behringer master keyboard, it’s OK, but not great.
The Rhodes sound has become such a big part of my music now, I have to invest a bit in it I think.
I’m on Mac now, and I used to have a nice little free VSTi called "Mr Ray" that was a great little thing, but I’m on Mac now and I can’t use it.
I do like the a Montage, but as ai said, I need to check it out thoroughly, but the Matt Johnson video was very good indeed, great Rhodes sound.

AAS Lounge Lizard is very good if you’re looking for software. Arturia’s V Collection is on a big sale at the moment too, that includes their Rhodes and Wurlitzer, though I haven’t tried them yet.
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
Bill Withers while Tom Waits, and Stan Getz

Postby baward » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:10 pm

I am lucky enough to have a Yamaha FS1R (the formant one) and the Rhodes sounds in there are fab.
baward
Regular

Postby N i g e l » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:10 pm

Good point, there are plenty of UT videos that trawl through the FS1r presets [but too few song demos !].

FS1r is 8-Op so can probably be reproduced on somthing modern, Modx ?

Have you looked at the Waldorf Zarenburg or the crumar 7

this thread popped up when I googled..

https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... 23&t=60769
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby Guido3 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:43 pm

Use Pianoteq and there is an EP pack you can buy which contains Rhodes and Wurly's. You can download a free demo to give it a test drive too.

I also have an old Nord Piano 1 which is lovely. Well worth getting hold of if you can find one. I paid £500 for mine. Feel is not a light as a genuine Rhodes or Wurly but what is?
Guido3
Frequent Poster
And Bagpuss, once he was asleep, was just a saggy old cloth cat.

Postby Arpangel » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:38 pm

I don’t want software, as I’ll probably be gigging after all their virus thing has gone away, hopefully!
I’ve tried the Arturia pianos, didn’t like them at all, uninspiring, and cold sounding.
Top so far is the Yamaha Montage, closely followed by the Korg SP1.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby James Perrett » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:25 am

Arpangel wrote:I’m on Mac now, and I used to have a nice little free VSTi called "Mr Ray" that was a great little thing, but I’m on Mac now and I can’t use it.

The Wurlitzer version (Mr Tramp) is the one that I use. Apparently they're modelled rather than sampled and I can really imagine I'm sitting at the Wurlitzer when I'm playing it.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Next