You are here

Ultra-budget modular.

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Ultra-budget modular.

Postby Arpangel » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:26 am

OK, time on my hands, and that bloke "Look Mum No Computer" is getting to me.
I’ve still got a box of Eurorack modules downstairs doing nothing, can’t sell them, so what the hell.
I’m going to have a go at making a cardboard modular, the aim is to get them up and running with stuff I have in the basement, and spend "no" money.
I’ve got a Tiptop Zeus PSU, so that’s that taken care of, all I really need to do is make a box, cardboard is cool, but I’m trying to think of other things I can use for a case, Tupperware may be? or an old biscuit tin?

:think:
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)
https://anthonyflynn.bandcamp.com/album/toy-town

Re: Ultra-budget modular.

Postby zenguitar » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:23 am

An Ikea Billy bookcase is the go to basic box. Glue/screw a couple of wooden batons 3U apart and Bob's your uncle.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Ben Asaro » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:13 pm

As you know eurorack modules get quite toasty, so make sure you leave a few hp open in the front for ventilation.

Cardboard works great, many people have gone that route.

Are you one of the 4 modular users who doesn't own a Happy Ending kit? :)
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:14 pm

zenguitar wrote:An Ikea Billy bookcase is the go to basic box. Glue/screw a couple of wooden batons 3U apart and Bob's your uncle.

That's a great idea! Wish I had thought of that ... :think:
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby zenguitar » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:50 am

Don't worry Ben...

Today I received my Arturia Keylab II 49, MiniBrute 2S, and 6U RackBrute. By the time I'd registered the hardware, installed Arturia Software Centre, installed the V-Collection six on my MacBook Pro, bought the heavily discounted V-Collection 7 and installed it on said MacBook, then installed Software Centre on my iMac, and installed V-Collection 7 on the iMac...

I was totally overwhelmed. Eyes glazed as I scrolled through the manuals, and I couldn't face installing the handful of modules I had waiting for the RackBrute.

Saturday will be a retreat the guitar comfort zone (finishing the servicing and set-up of one guitar and starting the same for another guitar - both belonging to one of the nicest guys frequenting these fora) and a shopping trip into town to seek bread flour and essentials.

Then there's a couple of hundred more CD's to rip to iTunes. That should clear my head for the next few days. Then I can begin to get my head around my Eurorack.

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Hands on with wood and metal is straightforward. It's this thinking and remembering lark I struggle with ;)

zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Ben Asaro » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:29 am

LOL! I am looking forward to hearing more about your modular journey! Since we are on full lockdown here in NYC, I've been giving my 7 year old son STEAM classes using the modular. :)
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:24 am

Ben Asaro wrote:LOL! I am looking forward to hearing more about your modular journey! Since we are on full lockdown here in NYC, I've been giving my 7 year old son STEAM classes using the modular. :)

I’m OK with the cardboard solution, I found a suitable thick sided box in the attic yesterday.
I don’t want to plough any money into this at all, I started out in modular in about 2013, and left it about a year ago. I had 18U of 104HP, it was the worst thing I got involved in, the bang for the buck was in no way related to the time and effort put in, so I sold it all.
Apart from a handful of modules like the 4ms Noise Swash, couldn’t bring myself to sell that, also my Snazzy FX stuff, plus a couple of Doepfer bits, this is going to be a little noise generating system, like only the Noise Swash can.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)
https://anthonyflynn.bandcamp.com/album/toy-town

Postby Ben Asaro » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:29 pm

Awesome! Enjoy!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster