You are here

MIDI IN Korg Microkorg (original)

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: MIDI IN Korg Microkorg (original)

Postby charic » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:35 am

.....not sure Andy, something else i'd need to learn?

I'm really just wanting (sometimes ) to play my micro KORG using another 'larger keyed' keyboard.

The internet is full of folk doing just that, but its not happening for me.
I'm also no midi expert, but the user manual and videos seem pretty straight forward to me.

I need to go now, but I've quickly looked inside MIDI-OX and there are various monitors, showing scrolling timestamps for input/output, including data when i play the micro Korg keys, so this just might indicate that both midi IN & OUT is actually working!
charic
Regular
Roland Juno D Limited Edition
Arturia Keystep
Novation Impulse61
Novation MiniNova 
Korg MicroKorg
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4
Edirol M-10DX.
KRK Rocket 5 G3
Audio Technica MTH-M50x

Postby BillB » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:11 am

It is beginning to sound like the MIDI IN is failing, but Andy’s suggestion is a good one. I know that you can slow down, or put gaps between sysex data in MIDI OX but I don’t recall how and I’m not in front of it to advise. So worth a poke around to see if you can get a transfer.

Windows’ stupidly inappropriate ‘Not enough memory’ warning often means that the MIDI port has been grabbed by another application, so if using MIDI OX, make it the first and only application using MIDI.

If you still get no joy after all of that, it does look like your MIDI IN is somehow broken, which is really odd given that THRU works OK, so the input opto-isolator, which is the most obvious culprit, must be functioning.
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby charic » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:28 pm

Thanks for the advice folks.

Just going to put the Korg away until I can get it 'examined' by someone else.

I'd like to think I could pop into a reputable store and have someone do a simple check against their own equipment. but Im sure this unit may have to go back to Korg.

It plays just fine, and it does midi out ok, but I just cant use my Keystep32 or Impulse 61 controllers, given their larger sized keybeds.

Take care.
charic
Regular
Arturia Keystep
Novation Impulse61
Novation MiniNova 
Korg MicroKorg
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4
Edirol M-10DX.
KRK Rocket 5 G3
Audio Technica MTH-M50x

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:54 pm

charic wrote:It appears to start, various lights blinking on the KORG but then i receive an on-screen warning, SysEx: No Buffers Available, Not enough memory, quit some apps?

In MIDI-OX go to Options->Configure Buffers...

Set both the 'Size' and 'Num' values for Low Level output Buffers to 1024, as shown here:

mbuffers.JPG

Then retry the transfer. This may solve the error you mention above!
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The SOS Forum Album projects

Postby charic » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:11 am

Cheers Eddy.

With the previous suggestion that Windows10 can throw issues whilst buffering, I've installed MIDI-OX onto my MacBook and during the process, I came across something similar to your suggestion, so I matched the suggested settings but still no joy.

Just to recap my basic issue......If I connect an external midi controller keyboard ( Keystep32 or Impulse61 ) to my Juno-D or MiniNova, I can play either controller and hear sound from the respective device through my headphones, and the only connections between the devices are the two Midi cables: OUT ( to ) IN & IN (from ) OUT on the respective controller.
If I swap out and replace either synth with the MicroKORG, I hear nothing.

Just re-read Korg's instruction ...."When you wish to play or control the microKORG's tone generator from an external MIDI keyboard or sequencer etc., use a MIDI cable to connect the MIDI OUT connector of the external MIDI device to the MIDI IN connector of the microKORG"

Ok, so I'm presently using 'both' midi cables, could this be my issue?....surely not.
I'm still aware it could be a 'user' issue, yet I've followed the KORG manual accurately on several occasions, and would not have missed the single midi cable instruction, its in black and white text with image, not something you can miss, but I'll re-check, just in-case.

I also know that if I want to modify an external audio signal using the KORG, the KORG needs an additional connection via one or both audio inputs, so as my controller keyboards don't have any inbuilt sound capability, audio cable is not essential.

So, using a larger keyed, external midi keyboard, I just want to be able to play and hear the KORG through my head phones/speakers and so far this is still not happening.
Audio works if I play the Korg itself.

Thanks everyone.
charic
Regular
Arturia Keystep
Novation Impulse61
Novation MiniNova 
Korg MicroKorg
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4
Edirol M-10DX.
KRK Rocket 5 G3
Audio Technica MTH-M50x

Postby Martti Ranttila » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:22 pm

Microkorg doesn`t play midi from Logic. Other synths do. I have MOTU microlite midi box.
I´ve tried everything. Just no sound.
Martti Ranttila

Postby BillB » Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:22 pm

Hi Martti, welcome to the SOS Forum :thumbup:

Charic can't generate a sound from any MIDI Keyboard plugged into the MKorg's MIDI In, so it is not a DAW or MIDI interface issue in his case.
BillB
Frequent Poster

Previous