You are here

Modulation

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Modulation

Postby Folderol » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:09 pm

Well, as concerns the Mod wheel on most synths.

Do our expert synth-ists know of any actual synths that allow the modulation envelope shape to be anything other than a sine wave?

If so, what options have you seen?
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Re: Modulation

Postby desmond » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:29 pm

Folderol wrote:Well, as concerns the Mod wheel on most synths.

Do our expert synth-ists know of any actual synths that allow the modulation envelope shape to be anything other than a sine wave?

I'm not sure I understand. An LFO can have various shapes, including sin wave, but the modulation from the mod wheel (which is just a mod value) has the shape of, well, however you wiggle the mod wheel...

Or am I misunderstanding you?
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Folderol » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:33 pm

desmond wrote:

I'm not sure I understand. An LFO can have various shapes, including sin wave, but the modulation from the mod wheel (which is just a mod value) has the shape of, well, however you wiggle the mod wheel...

OK, to be more specific, and I mean for the mod wheel only, does it always use a sinewave LFO? That appears to be true for the two hardware synths I have here.
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:37 pm

The mod wheel only controls the amplitude of the modulation signal, but that signal can and usually does have any desired waveform shape -- sine, square, pulse, ramp, saw, or more complex shapes created by the envelope generators or other stored wave shapes.

Okay, so perhaps the most common application is to use the mod wheel to introduce vibrato/tremolo effects in the oscillator/filter/amplifier with a sine wave LFO waveform... But it can be used for so much more with a little though and flexibility!

I'd have thought the most typical options could be found by examining the manuals of any of the more versatile hardware or software synths.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby IAA » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:38 pm

The reissue Moog model d has square as well, the Moog one has more LFO shapes than you can wave a stick at, is that what you mean?
IAA
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:00 pm

Exactly as Hugh say. Common LFO shapes are Sin, Triangle, Square, Pulse (with varying pulse widths), Random/S+H, Saw Up, Saw Down, and some synths can have custom waveshapes (ie, you can draw an envelope, either ADR, ADSR, or complex envelope, and use that shape as a mod/LFO source).

The mod wheel has nothing to do with the LFO shape, it just controls the *amount* of LFO signal (if that's what the mod wheel is controlling - it doesn't have to be) that is modulating whatever it's modulating...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:21 pm

OK Thanks all.
I did say the only two examples I have were rather old :tongue:
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby Rob Kirkwood » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:06 pm

I have Yamaha MX49 where on many of the presets the mod wheel sounds like it opens up a filter, or boosts resonance - the further you push it the more they open/boost.

Rob
Rob Kirkwood
Regular

Postby desmond » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:13 pm

Rob Kirkwood wrote:I have Yamaha MX49 where on many of the presets the mod wheel sounds like it opens up a filter, or boosts resonance - the further you push it the more they open/boost.

Sure, the mod wheel is just a modulation source, among many. The patch programmer can set it to do whatever they want. I frequently will have it modulating multiple things at once to give the player some performance and timbral options within a sound.

Lazy programmers don't bother thinking about the mod wheel, velocity, key scaling, aftertouch etc etc but good ones will make those things all do interesting, useful and *musical* changes.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:25 am

Folderol wrote:
desmond wrote:

OK, to be more specific, and I mean for the mod wheel only, does it always use a sinewave LFO? That appears to be true for the two hardware synths I have here.

The simple answer is that the wave shape can be anything, normally selectable from the modulation menu, the wheel is only a controller, that you can assign to anything, depending on the synth you’re using this will vary.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)
https://anthonyflynn.bandcamp.com/album/toy-town