You are here

Synth Patches - Synth Models

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Synth Patches - Synth Models

Postby Psypha909 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:09 pm

A question for anyone familiar with the works of Paddy Kingsland -circa 1980-82 including TV incidental music for Hitch Hikers Guide, Dr Who (State of Decay, Logopolis, Castrovalva) and similar.

I have noticed what appears to be several of the same tones/patches used in these series/serials, by this composer at the time these programs were produced.

Presently I a small selection of outboard gear as well as the Arturia collection 6, Sylenth1, Soniclabs Oberheim OP-X and some others.
I think the radiophonic workshop at the BBC had a selection of synths including the Yamaha CS80, Arp Odyssey, Roland Juno 6, Prophet and I'm a whole bunch of other stuff.

Here is a link to an audio/video that features the sounds (accepting that the synths would have been fed through some signal processing gear, compression and the like)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciXACtP92zg

Anyhow, do any folk out there have a leaning on the patches to use?

Thanks
Psypha909

Re: Synth Patches - Synth Models

Postby desmond » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:38 pm

I'd suggest watching the videos on the Radiophonic Workshop on YouTube and the BBC archives - there are a bunch of interviews, demos and walkthroughs of the workshop at various times in it's existence, and it will give you a good idea of the gear they had access to.

In the mid period, they definitely had a CS80, Prophet 5, Arp Odyssey, the EMS synths and so on, before getting into the digital FM/TX816/DMP11 and Mac sequencing era. If you've got the Arturia stuff, then you've got a range of starting points. Many of those oldish analog synth sounds are fairly simple. Some of the FX processing will be stuff like pitch/harmonising delays and vocoders.

(I've been relistening to Hitchhikers on my exercise/walks and enjoying it immensely.)

If you're stuck recreating sounds, or you're new to synthesis, try to pick a concrete example of what you're going for and we might be able to help with the basics... As for the stuff on the video, your CS80V/Prophet V will get you close enough. GForce's Oddity is another good one for the leads...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Re: Synth Patches - Synth Models

Postby resistorman » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:17 pm

Pretty basic sounds in this example, you could make them with practically any synth. Sawtooth pad and sine lead.
resistorman
Frequent Poster