You are here

Which pedal are you buying next, for your synths?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Which pedal are you buying next, for your synths?

Postby Arpangel » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:07 am

Pedals have taken over from Eurorack as my main source of GAS.
I’ll keep this short, I’m now lusting after a Specular Tempus, but I’m wondering what choices others are making for use with synth's, I’m particularly addicted to delays, what other effects are your favourites for keyboards?
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)
https://anthonyflynn.bandcamp.com/album/toy-town

Re: Which pedal are you buying next, for your synths?

Postby The Elf » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:39 am

I've sold a lot of my pedals now, but my favourites used to be:
EH Clone Theory
MXR Phase 100
MXR Distortion+
Boss CE-1
Boss Dimension C

Now I have a MIDIVerb 4 in my rack and a Line 6 Helix on the floor. The Helix does everything my pedals ever did, but it's much, much easier to live with.

For live I also have a Digitech RP500 and RP1000 I can draft in, should I need it. More often I use plug-ins within Cantabile, which has made playing live a breeze, and taken set-up time down to a handful of minutes.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby nathanscribe » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:15 am

I've been through more pedals than I can remember, but at the moment I've got a few Boss compacts, some Yamaha 01 series, some EHX, Moogerfoogers... other bits and bobs. Mostly delay, chorus, phase, flange. Some EQ and comp. A couple of OD/distortion. The main oddities are the Moog ring mod and MURF (modulated filter bank).

The MURF is great for evolving stuff that would otherwise be rather static. I got good mileage out of the Strymon El Capistan for several years until I replaced it with an actual tape echo and spring reverb. Their Volante looks good, but I'll stick with the genuinely wonky old stuff.

For reverb I tend to use rack units, but I do like pedals for modulation effects.
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Postby Arpangel » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:04 pm

Trouble is, I’m not sure if I have room or need anymore? But every day there’s an interesting one that seems to do something new, or, something old, in a new way!
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby mick.n » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:36 pm

A brake pedal that will hopefully stop me from buying more synths. :headbang:
mick.n
Frequent Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:37 pm

On the bright (?) side. It appears that the production run of Specular Tempus is all sold. Lusting after that one, too.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:46 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:On the bright (?) side. It appears that the production run of Specular Tempus is all sold. Lusting after that one, too.

I know, damn!
I’m after an EHX Ring Thing, and a Moog delay, if I can find one.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby BillB » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:45 am

I have to own up, every time I hear a synth through a Strymon Big Sky or Blue Sky I go “oooooh”. On the one hand it is kind of old hat, and on the other it can be instant blade runner, which is a sound I still lust after. Not really interested in Shimmer, that is badly over-used, but I do like the unworldly smoothness and length of the Strymon reverbs I have heard. Also love the stereo in/out. Sticking a stereo synth through a mono-in pedal does my head in.

Having said that, I can’t really justify £300-400 on an FX pedal. I am wondering whether the Korg NTS-1 (£100) could scratch that itch, but I haven’t heard a really good demo that isolates the FX and runs the reverbs at full decay. If you come across any, please post a link.

It is intriguing that the NTS-1 is also a development platform, not only for third-party DSP modelling, but also the actual physical controls can be altered. There are some interesting examples on the Korg website, including a Mod/Delay/Reverb FX pedal!
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:14 pm

I like what I've heard from the Big Sky, but I can get pretty much the same sound from my Helix - which means I can also get it from Helix Native. If you're a Helix hardware user you can get Helix Native relatively cheaply.

Not a hardware pedal reply, but might be of interest.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby BillB » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:33 pm

No Helix here.

I suspect I could get the reverb sound(s) I am after with a Valhalla VST reverb, but I do like plugging wires between boxes.... silly, really.
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:55 pm

Yep, Valhalla remains my most used software reverb.

Well, I can definitely recommend Helix in any of its variants for keys. These days my entire live rig can run through one!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:58 pm

I really like the efficiency of in-the-box but there is something about pedals with wires everywhere and knobs. Not owning a synth with knobs I am finding much happiness with pedal knobs. And just pulling out a wire and sticking it elsewhere as it makes a click as it slides home!
:thumbup:
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:08 am

BillB wrote:No Helix here.

I suspect I could get the reverb sound(s) I am after with a Valhalla VST reverb, but I do like plugging wires between boxes.... silly, really.

No, you won’t, I’ve got the a Big Sky, and Valhalla Room and Vintage Verb, totally different vibes.
If you want a slightly cheaper pedal that can take you to similar places, I said "similar", try the Neunabor Immerse, it’s more of an Eventide flavour that one, worth a try.
The Big Sky is a unique, and truly beautiful pedal, that can’t be replicated, it’s a means of transportation, I would try and get one, don’t waste your money on anything else, if this is the sound you’re after.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Dan LB » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:16 pm

I mainly use a Big Sky, a Timeline, a Shallow Water, and a T-Rex Sweeper, but right now I’m lusting after a Hologram Microcosm

https://www.hologramelectronics.com/microcosm

I’d also love a Strymon Mobius at some stage.
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:55 pm

Dan LB wrote:I mainly use a Big Sky, a Timeline, a Shallow Water, and a T-Rex Sweeper, but right now I’m lusting after a Hologram Microcosm

https://www.hologramelectronics.com/microcosm

I’d also love a Strymon Mobius at some stage.

Hmmm? That’s just on the edge of not being a "proper" pedal, by that I mean dead simple!
I try to stick to knobs and when I see a display I start to loose interest, the Big Sky being an exception.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Next