You are here

The All-New Behringer Keyboards 'n' Stuff Thread

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: The All-New Behringer Keyboards 'n' Stuff Thread

Postby The Elf » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:57 pm

There *is* a reverb in there - but it's digital from what I understand.

Although why anyone would want a digital recreation of a spring reverb is beyond me...
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby desmond » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:00 pm

The Elf wrote:Although why anyone would want a spring reverb is beyond me...

FTFY ;)
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:42 pm

Arpangel wrote:Tthe ultimate "gastro-sonic" experience.

This going to be my new 'Phrase du jour'

Thank you Tony :thumbup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby DGL. » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:33 pm

Arpangel wrote:
The Elf wrote:
Arpangel wrote:Yes please, and you might ask them to put it in a Tolex case, and to put the speakers and reverb back, it might make it more attractive to people like me, and all those that wish they could have bought the KARP, corners don’t have to be cut, come on, what’s another few hundred added to the price?
I wouldn't want these. A reverb that goes 'splosh!' and speakers that would be shamed by a 5 quid tranny radio - no thank you.

And they can keep the keyboard as well. This synth has MIDI! :headbang:

You’re right Elf, about Thomann, I’ve fallen victim to those naff adapters too REALLY BAD.
The reverb is great, you can use it as part of your patch, it comes into own when you feed it back, and the speakers were really useful, for portable programming.

The ones I've recently been sent with Behringer purchases from Thomann have been genuine power connections adaptors specifically designed to convert 2 pin euro PSU's to UK plugs, with a screw on the bottom to clamp the plug pins to make it secure. Perfectly fine in my opinion, and whilst they do say Thomann UK the .de on the end of the domain gives away their location to most users.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:33 pm

This isn't about location. UK suppliers, by law, *have* to provide a UK plug - an adapter is not accepted. If Thomann choose to badge themselves as 'UK' they should play by the same rules as all UK suppliers.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby N i g e l » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:42 pm

desmond wrote:
The Elf wrote:Although why anyone would want a spring reverb is beyond me...

FTFY ;)

[1] If you give it a thump it sounds like an explosion.
[2] er......etc...

I think someone mention before that a Dave Smith recreation synth had a vibration detector soley for the purpose of sending the digital spring reverb into chaos ??????
Easter egg qudos for that one.
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby N i g e l » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:46 pm

Arpangel wrote:
The Elf wrote:
Arpangel wrote:....You’re right Elf, about Thomann, I’ve fallen victim to those naff adapters too REALLY BAD.......

no longer a problem ????? Anytime recently ive looked to buy stuff, GAK were cheaper than Thomann. Other UK shops are available too.... as they say
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:00 pm

The Elf wrote:This isn't about location. UK suppliers, by law, *have* to provide a UK plug - an adapter is not accepted.

Sorry, Paul, that's not entirely correct.

All manufacturers and importers of electrical goods sold in the UK must make sure that they are fitted with a UK three-pin plug complete with the appropriate fuse.

However, it is permissible in law for appliances fitted at the factory with a non-UK plug (but one compliant with IEC 884-1 -- ie. a standard EU plug) to be provided with a "conversion plug" approved for use in conjunction with the non-UK plug. The "conversion plug" must fully enclose the non-UK plug, and must only be removable by the use of a tool, and must have the appropriate live side fuse.

So the 'clamshell' type of adapter that fits over an EU plug, has a fuse in the live side, and is secured with a screw, is a legally acceptable alternative.

A simple plug-in travel adapter is not legally acceptable!
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby MOF » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:08 pm

Although why anyone would want a digital recreation of a spring reverb is beyond me...

Me, I bought the UAD AKG BX20 plugin, really nice, although it doesn’t respond to mechanical stimulation, that will probably come in version 2. :lol:
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby N i g e l » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:18 pm

A simple plug-in travel adapter is not legally acceptable!

This is the typical thing supplied. Theres a fuse in the back.

N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:18 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:A simple plug-in travel adapter is not legally acceptable!
Which is what I'm referring to. I'm not aware of any other kind.

Correction gratefully accepted. :thumbup:

The last time I bought a PSU-cursed item from Thomann it came with a cheap, brittle white plastic EU-to-UK travel adapter. It certainly looked nothing like the black one above (which looks much better - never seen one of those). The whole delivery went back in short order! The adapter looked pretty much (including label) identical to this:

Which still begs the question as to how 'Thomann UK' can (or feel they can) get away with it. But not with me they aren't. :protest:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:25 am

That kind of simple travel adapter is illegal to supply for use with new equipment in the UK and it should be reported to Trading Standards.

The legal adapter looks something like this:

The EU plug is held captive, there's a 5 amp fuse in the live side, and the lid is secured with a screw (ie the adapter can only be opened with a screwdriver tool!)

Obviously, this kind of adapter can only be used with plugs on cables. It can't be used with wall-wart power units...

For wall warts with integrated EU plugs, the only viable solution is the nasty travel adapter you illustrated, but that would technically be illegal to sell as a solution with new products sold into the UK.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby N i g e l » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:22 am

of course this is all 21st century eco-nonsense.
Back in the day there were synths "like THE SOURCE, but for famous people" which had wireless audio and mains, total freedom.

N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby Adam Inglis » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:34 am

The Elf wrote:As far as any of us know it's a circuit clone, so there's no reason it shouldn't behave in much the same way.... The lack of pitch bend in release was a far more serious problem for me....

Wha? Bizarre!
How does that even happen on an analogue synth?
I suppose it could be explained if the CPU was reading and distributing all these CVs... but this thing isn't programmable is it?
Adam Inglis
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:51 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:That kind of simple travel adapter is illegal to supply for use with new equipment in the UK and it should be reported to Trading Standards.

The legal adapter looks something like this:

The EU plug is held captive, there's a 5 amp fuse in the live side, and the lid is secured with a screw (ie the adapter can only be opened with a screwdriver tool!)

Obviously, this kind of adapter can only be used with plugs on cables. It can't be used with wall-wart power units...

For wall warts with integrated EU plugs, the only viable solution is the nasty travel adapter you illustrated, but that would technically be illegal to sell as a solution with new products sold into the UK.

The one that came with my order from Thomann was positively dangerous, the plug was ill-fitting into the adaptor, and so loose that arcing could have occurred even with a small load.
These things should be banned and Thomann should be reported, I agree.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext