You are here

The All-New Behringer Keyboards 'n' Stuff Thread

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: The All-New Behringer Keyboards 'n' Stuff Thread

Postby DGL. » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:55 pm

V2 firmware for the RD-8 is now live, just make sure you have the latest version of synth tool and assuming (on windows) the drivers for DFU mode are installed correctly it's an easy process.
Simply,
1. Fire up the RD-8 and connect it to the PC
2. Run synth tool and it should show the RD-8 and you can click on [Get Started]
3. Click on update (on mine the update page came up automatically)
4. Turn off the RD-8 and turn back on but with a pin or an item on similar size to hold down the DFU mode button in the hole next to the USB port
5. Once powered up RD-8 should look "dead" and synth tool should start updating
6. one the update has transferred the display on the RD-8 should display "wait"
7. "wait" will disappear from the display and the RD-8 will automatically reboot finshing the update process.

RD-8 Firmware Release Notes wrote:Behringer RD-8 Firmware Version 2.0.2 (23 Oct 2020)
Bug Fixes:

1. All MIDI, USB and SYNC Issues fixed.

New features:

1. Synthtool support. (right click on a step cell in the sequencer page for more step options).
2. Pattern length, step on/off will be saved automatically when programmed in RECORD mode.
3. Trigger/play sound by pressing corresponding voice button. With TAP/HOLD button held the voice will be triggered with accent on.
4. Note repeat real time recording (press TRIGGER with note repeat enabled when in STEP recording). Removing step will remove note repeat.
5. In PATTERN mode, copy currently selected pattern to other locations by holding COPY then pressing the STEP button of the destination you want.
6. In STEP MODE, copy page 1 (1-16), page 2 (17-32), page 3 (33-48) or page 4 (49-64) to other pages: 1) Press LENGTH to enter pattern length setting. 2) select a page using arrows and press COPY, 3) select another page then press SAVE. This is will be automatically saved to the pattern.
7. TRIGGER ASSIGN setting (press SETTINGS, holding TAP/HOLD then press STEP 7 to enter the settings menu, press TAP/HOLD to switch between trigger assign 1 and 2). Select any voice as trigger (solid Light when selected). Accent is tied to trigger 3
8. PROB and FLAM set to off as default, set tempo, swing and step size PREFS to pattern as default.
9. Screen dim level adjust (holding TAP/HOLD then turn DATA knob).
10. Hold TAP/HOLD and press MUTE or SOLO to clear all mutes or solos.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:36 am

BJG145 wrote:...yeah, I can't imagine playing a solo without it. Coming from wind instruments I use it all the time.

I get that, but using a pitch bend wheel is a real skill, you have to have a particular mind set,
I can’t play funk or blues to save my life, I can, but really badly, so I don’t, using a pitch wheel is the same as that, so I don’t use it.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:19 am

I well recall trying my first pitchbend wheel and thinking there was no way I could every do anything meaningful with it. And now I use it without thinking.

The weird thing is that I don't recall any of the process in-between. I certainly never practiced it. Somehow I just 'got it'. :headbang: :?

Sprung wheels are great - the Roland levers even better. But I hate Roland levers for mod.

And I never, ever, play funk or blues! ;)
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Arpangel » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:30 am

The Elf wrote:I well recall trying my first pitchbend wheel and thinking there was no way I could every do anything meaningful with it. And now I use it without thinking.

The weird thing is that I don't recall any of the process in-between. I certainly never practiced it. Somehow I just 'got it'. :headbang: :?

Sprung wheels are great - the Roland levers even better. But I hate Roland levers for mod.

And I never, ever, play funk or blues! ;)

I heard a mean Jazz solo, a track on Jazz FM, the guy was using a Mini Moog, it was, please believe me, it couldn’t have been anything else, and his bending technique was truly amazing, it was like he was playing an acoustic instrument, it sounded so effortless.
I can’t imagine ever doing that.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby DGL. » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:48 am

An update on the Ub-Xa, looking for beta testers,

Behringer FB wrote:We got some really good news. The firmware for the UB-Xa is now completed and we're moving closer to delivering this beautiful synth. However, to be clear, we're still many months away from delivery.
Our next step is to build 50 pre-production samples and start an extensive test program with internal and external beta testers to ensure the synth will have undergone the most stringent quality testing.
If you like to participate in the testing of the UB-Xa, come join the beta tester team. However, please note that there a critical requirements associated with this program.
1.) You do own an original Oberheim OB-Xa in order to do extensive comparisons.
2.) You have deep technical understanding and knowledge related to professional testing procedures and sound analysis
3.) You do own a video channel and you're willing to create several comparison videos.
4.) You're willing to create great sound patches with your name attached.
If you meet these criteria, please contact us at joinus@musictribe.com and provide us with detailed information related to the above 4 points. We will select max 20 beta testers and reward them with a free unit in return for their extensive efforts.
We're super excited about this flagship synth. We know that it has taken much time, but we're very proud of our Manchester engineering team who have done an amazing job by creating a complete new technology platform, which will allow us to develop the next analog poly-synths in record time.
We're just warming up:-)
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:35 am

Arpangel wrote:I heard a mean Jazz solo, a track on Jazz FM, the guy was using a Mini Moog, it was, please believe me, it couldn’t have been anything else, and his bending technique was truly amazing, it was like he was playing an acoustic instrument, it sounded so effortless.
Yes it truly is amazing to see someone who is a true master of it. One of the guys in one of my bands is a master of it. I watch in utter awe as he performs. He keeps a Prophet 5 in monosynth mode just for the job. I'll never have the patience or skill to do what he does.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby N i g e l » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:12 am

The Elf wrote:.....Sprung wheels are great - the Roland levers even better. But I hate Roland levers for mod.......

The NORD wooden pitch stick is good, very natural. Im not so keen on the stone mod wheel.
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:52 am

Im definitely not springing for this 2600, I'm going to save my cash, and look out for the VCS clone, and see if that fairs better, also, I’m going to get some of those 2500 modules, although I wish they’d have a go at building the complete thing.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:06 am

Why the change of mind? You were all against it, then all for it, now not interested.

For the relatively small outlay I don't think you can go wrong.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby DGL. » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:27 am

Well now the Ub-Xa s nearly ready what do you want next?

Behringer FB wrote:Choose your next analog poly synth!
As we’re reaching the completion of our flagship UB-Xa synthesizer, our Manchester engineering is getting ready for the next adventure. Over the past 3 years we have developed a highly advanced operating system for analog polyphonic synthesizers, which will allow to design future synths at a much faster time frame. We’ve invested huge amount of resources in building a highly configurable and scalable platform – a true industry-first innovation.
The UK synthesizer team is very excited to hear all your requests. Dream big - regardless of any current or second-hand market prices. For 30 years it has been Behringer’s philosophy to offer you products at real-world prices and at a fraction of any competition. How do we do this? We do produce all our products and even many components in-house and also don’t waste your money on advertisement. This allows us to pass these savings back on to you, while 100% of our proceeds get reinvested into the company – all for one purpose, to continue to offer you products at the highest quality and lowest prices. Of course, all our products come with an industry-leading 3-year warranty program.
So now it’s your turn and tell us which next poly synth you want us to make and why - a clone or new design. Shoot…
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby DGL. » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:22 pm

And yet another update, this time it's their (Coolaudio) BA662A clone which is now ready,

https://www.coolaudio.com/docs/Datashee ... Signed.pdf

Behringer FB wrote: Did you know that there is a 40 year old chip that defined the sound of many legacy synths and drum machines?
Our sister company Coolaudio spared no expenses and recreated the famous BA662 chip, while also improving its specs and integrating two units into one single chip.
We’re very excited to announce that the V662A chip is now available, which now opens the door for the most famous legacy synths.

Oh and be prepared to (unsurprisingly) wait a while for your 2600!,

Behringer FB wrote:Backorders are so huge, that the 2600 has now officially become the hottest synth launch ever in our history.

Given how hot the Model D and others have been and how long it took for people to get them I hope they have enough production capacity!
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:08 am

Too many compromises on the 2600 even at £500, so I’ll pass on that one.
My only request is looking forward to a VCS3 or Synthi clone, original shape, size, etc.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby DGL. » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:07 pm

A new video from youtube channel biting eye comparing the Behringer 2600 (of which he must have a review unit), and both an original 1974 ARP 2600 AND the KARP 2600, shocker BARP closer to ARP than KARP!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aheqjl5LmII
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby BJG145 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:41 pm

Incredible. Interested to see that Rob Keeble's partnership with Behringer has apparently now come to an end...

In June 2019 I joined forces with Behringer to design analog synthesizers that are manufactured in China and sold to customers across the world. I worked on three projects; the ARP 2600 replica which I helped design and test using the new workshop which I had built in 2018, the ARP 2500 and a monophonic diode ladder filter synth.

In June 2020 I completed the collaboration with Behringer and AMSynths is now continuing with its own analog synths, such as the SH05 Project and the Jupiter One.

https://amsynths.co.uk/about-us/

...but it sounds like he knocked it out of the park with this one.
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:55 pm

DGL. wrote:A new video from youtube channel biting eye comparing the Behringer 2600 (of which he must have a review unit), and both an original 1974 ARP 2600 AND the KARP 2600, shocker BARP closer to ARP than KARP!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aheqjl5LmII

As I’ve said, for us oldies, that remember it the first time around, sound, isn’t everything, you’re missing the point.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext