You are here

The All-New Behringer Keyboards 'n' Stuff Thread

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: The All-New Behringer Keyboards 'n' Stuff Thread

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:03 am

Agharta wrote:I suppose we have to start somewhere as it's very challenging to boycott all of the above.

It is. Much harder with them than it is with music tech providers, although I do fully understand that many people on a budget will remain with Behringer in some ways given they have fewer options than others. I've been there, and I know.

As of right now I have half your list happily catered for in terms of 'vote elsewhere with the wallet' and they get nothing from me.

Of the other two, only one gets any direct revenue from me and it's minimal. To put it into perspective it would take 100 months or so for them to recoup the cost of a 2600 clone from me. The other I use indirectly for work and have no choice, although it's not my pocket that's paying them.

The world is not a world of absolutes. Do what one can. Reducing the revenue to a company you have distaste for is better than doing nothing. Nobody is a saint, the world makes certain things very hard to disengage from but it's worth remembering that small numbers add up.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The SOS Forum Album projects

Postby Arpangel » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:07 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I'm coming to the conclusion that B didn't really change direction at all. Perhaps the X32 (and its derivatives) simply came with the acquisition of MIDAS... More or less everything since has been copies of vintage synths rather than genuinely original and innovative products.

Klark Teknic too, if you factor in Midas, then yes, they haven’t actually made any innovative stuff "themselves" they’ve just waved a check-book.
I say that Behringers talent "now" is for making things that are as good as the competition, but at a cheaper price, that wasn’t the case years ago, it was just bad. They are masters of modern manufacturing and obviously monitor that very closely overseas.
I think also, it’s a major source of anger, even jealousy, from other companies simply because people are saying the above, why can’t you make your products more competitive, and maybe take less profit, you’re asking too much, if Behringer can do it for X amount, why can’t you close the gap?
This is going round in circles now, and Behringer aren’t going to go away, me personally, I’m not interested in buying any of their stuff, there isn’t anything they make that I’m looking to buy. But, and this says it all, there are a few things I’m interested in made by very innovative companies that may get my cash, people like Soma, Make Noise, Twisted Electrons, look at Behringers foray into Eurorack? not one original module, Roland, Moog, and ARP "recreations" this really seals their fate as a copier, they will never be remembered as originators, or pioneers, unlike the people they copy.
You’d have thought that with all of Behringers resources and money, they could have come up with their own unique range of modules, that would have been far more interesting, and may have given them some much needed credibillity in the process.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby BJG145 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:19 am

The Elf wrote:"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." Edmund Burke

Great quote.
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:55 am

Also........Behringer only really make things they know are "sure sellers" there are many synth enthusiasts that will buy replicas of vintage synths, modules, cheap digital mixers sell like hot-cakes, if Behringer had designed a whole bunch of really original synth modules, that were unique, that no one else had thought of, god forbid, they may not sell!!
That business model definitely isn’t Behringer!

:-|
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby jjlonbass » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:28 am

I've just received an email stating that my 2600 has shipped, so I will have it in time for my birthday and Christmas. I'm excited :D

John
jjlonbass
Poster

Postby Arpangel » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:53 am

jjlonbass wrote:I've just received an email stating that my 2600 has shipped, so I will have it in time for my birthday and Christmas. I'm excited :D

John

Reminds me of when I was a child, instead of a synth, it would be a train set.

Enjoy it....

:thumbup:
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby baward » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:53 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:I am mindful of the mantra "just because you can, doesn't mean you should".

Exactly what I have to say to the grand kids
baward
Regular

Postby DGL. » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:45 pm

A for the Swing, I too don't get it but it's supposedly part of their upcoming DAW so we shall see then if it has anything extra special, though supposedly the Keystep is not the most reliable pieces of kit at least early on so maybe that MIGHT be the only plus point, being slightly cheaper isn't really.

As for what they are cooking up next (and at least it's not a clone of something modern!), a Blinn anyone?
(picture from the Behringer FB page)

DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby N i g e l » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:46 pm

Thats more like the Behringer I know; Im guessing £300 for a new one [no doubt with USB etc] versus £3000 for a dieing decades old original off EBAY .
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:52 pm

Most comments seem to think it's a Linn recreation.

If so - a machine that plays back samples. Yawn... :boring:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby N i g e l » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:58 pm

I think the Linn drum was more about the hands on user experience ?
but sure, you could get a similar end result for free with cakewalk [+laptop].
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:13 pm

The Elf wrote:If so - a machine that plays back samples. Yawn... :boring:

I'm *amazed* that crappy, inflexible, bad-sounding *digital* drum machines are still going for high prices. it's absolutely crazy!

Yes, there are some unique, interesting, weird and capable drum machines that can be worth playing with if you like playing with hardware machines. RX5's, Kawai R100/50, Roland R8s and many more can do some interesting things and can be bent in some unique ways.

But I mean people are buying stuff like RX11s, TR-505/626s - just really old, poor sounding machines where you can't basically do much other than playback single samples, not even tune them a lot of the time. Nothing that a decent sample set can't do in your DAW. For hundreds of pounds. For £20, maybe. *Maybe*...

Seriously, a TR-505 was a crappy, budget, poor-featured drum machine in the actual 80s - it had no redeeming features then (apart from the price).

As for the LinnDrum - well, there are always people that want the real thing, and there are always people who want the real thing but can't afford them and so will like the next best nearly-real thing, and if that's what they want, fair enough.

The LinnDrum was one of the things Behringer got from the Tears for Fears haul - I wonder if they plan to offer all the replacement chip sounds that came with it? (They might have a battle with Forat, who owns the copyright on the Linn samples, though...) And the LinnDrum, *without* the samples, isn't a LinnDrum really...

Not that the sample copyright issue would probably bother Behringer, of course...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby nathanscribe » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:38 pm

desmond wrote:The LinnDrum was one of the things Behringer got from the Tears for Fears haul - I wonder if they plan to offer all the replacement chip sounds that came with it? (They might have a battle with Forat, who owns the copyright on the Linn samples, though...) And the LinnDrum, *without* the samples, isn't a LinnDrum really...

Gonna say, the samples are copyright... same with the TR-909 but B have got one of those on the way. I've been wondering about that since they announced it.

Regarding the Linn, I've got one and I enjoy it, but I bought it back when they were unfashionable, when the LM-1 was the pricey one... LinnDrum prices these days came as a bit of a surprise when I finally checked up. Funny how the old 505/626 etc are starting to climb as well, they were always just slightly weak beige boxes, but then I thought the same about the 707/727 and 303 as well (awful shiny rubbish, abysmal to program, only did one thing and it was a pain to get close). Yet people idolise it fiercely, without apparently acknowledging that the gear, crap as it is, is not what one should be idolising. [end grumpy grump]
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Postby desmond » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:42 pm

nathanscribe wrote:Regarding the Linn, I've got one and I enjoy it, but I bought it back when they were unfashionable, when the LM-1 was the pricey one...

Do you have any of the Linn (or other third-party) replacement sound chips, by any chance?

Oops, need to reach my daily cuppa tea stretch goal, back in a sec...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Agharta » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:43 pm

Well a Ford Cortina is desirable for some in the Classic Car world.
It takes all sorts.
Agharta
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext