You are here

The All-New Behringer Keyboards 'n' Stuff Thread

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: The All-New Behringer Keyboards 'n' Stuff Thread

Postby nathanscribe » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:52 pm

desmond wrote:RX11... RZ-1... Korg DDM-110?

OK now you're just listing all my other drum machines and making me feel bad. :D

Ultimately it's not about the gear, so much as the music and the experience of making it. What annoys me most about silly prices is that it prevents people starting out with not much money from having a go at doing stuff in old ways that they might find inspiring. Back on topic slightly, Behringer are certainly capitalising on the vintage fetish, but for me part of the magic of it back in the 90s or whatever was just chancing on bits of random gear in free-ads or in one of the high street gear shops' used section in the basement... no internet, so you had to just try stuff, work it out for yourself, photocopy reviews for hints... and prices were not hiked by nostalgia, so much as set by the newness of the technology. So when you were starting out with a little cash from your Saturday job, old gear was what you bought. Things are very different now!
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Postby desmond » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:02 pm

nathanscribe wrote:
desmond wrote:RX11... RZ-1... Korg DDM-110?

OK now you're just listing all my other drum machines and making me feel bad. :D

As long as you didn't plop down a couple of grand for them.... relax ;)

nathanscribe wrote:What annoys me most about silly prices is that it prevents people starting out with not much money from having a go at doing stuff in old ways that they might find inspiring.

Maybe, but let's face it, we've never had more, or better tools available to us Most kids these days are going to have access to a phone, or an ipad, or a computer, and what you can do with those things is *waaaaaay* more capable than the dumb studio setup I had at 14 years old. Make a move? Sure. Release quality music with free synthesizers? Yep. Broadcast to the world? Easy... Access to almost infinite teaching materials for free... no problem.

So don't feel that they're *too* hard done by just because good tech is cheap and old vintage crap tech got expensive... :lol:

nathanscribe wrote:Back on topic slightly, Behringer are certainly capitalising on the vintage fetish, but for me part of the magic of it back in the 90s or whatever was just chancing on bits of random gear in free-ads or in one of the high street gear shops' used section in the basement... no internet, so you had to just try stuff, work it out for yourself, photocopy reviews for hints... and prices were not hiked by nostalgia, so much as set by the newness of the technology. So when you were starting out with a little cash from your Saturday job, old gear was what you bought. Things are very different now!

Sure. It used to be fun seeing what synthy treasures might be lurking forgotten in the local guitar+amp shop. That's how I got my first real synth (and my mate got the one sitting next to it.) But if I could download a few Moog or DX7 back then in place of all that, I'm pretty sure I'd think that was way better... :)
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby nathanscribe » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:09 pm

S'OK, I'm just a grumpy beardy hermit with a thing for never having enough cables. I just don't enjoy it otherwise :D
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:14 pm

:lol:

For me - less hardware = less cables and I'm good with that.

I spent years when I was young struggling to get the most out of connecting small cheap inflexible boxes together to try to make something interesting, and I have no desire to go back there! ;)
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Arpangel » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:18 pm

nathanscribe wrote:So when you were starting out with a little cash from your Saturday job, old gear was what you bought. Things are very different now!

Very true, it’s crazy when it’s cheaper to buy new these days, than buy secondhand!

:crazy:
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby BigRedX » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:40 pm

I was in a band that owned a TR808 in the early 80s when the only serious alternative was the LinnDrum. It may not have sounded much like "real drums" but that sound was on just about every single Hip Hop and Electro record released at the time. About once a week someone from one of the local rap and break dancing crews would show up at our rehearsal room clutching the latest US electro release and asking us to fill one side of a C90 with our version of the rhythm track. Turned out to be a reasonable earner side-line while our band was still trying to find it's sound.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby blinddrew » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:05 pm

nathanscribe wrote:S'OK, I'm just a grumpy beardy hermit with a thing for never having enough cables. I just don't enjoy it otherwise :D
Just for you: https://soundcloud.com/one-synth-challenge/track-12
:D
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:20 pm

Love it!
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby nathanscribe » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:39 pm

:clap:
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:01 pm

Just to emphasise, in case anyone missed it first time round, that's not my work - it's Random Guitarist.
Sorry, should have made that clear - working from a basis of assumed knowledge!
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby ManFromGlass » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:50 pm

Jah ist very good :thumbup:
Love the ending.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:51 pm

BigRedX wrote:I was in a band that owned a TR808 in the early 80s when the only serious alternative was the LinnDrum. It may not have sounded much like "real drums" but that sound was on just about every single Hip Hop and Electro record released at the time. About once a week someone from one of the local rap and break dancing crews would show up at our rehearsal room clutching the latest US electro release and asking us to fill one side of a C90 with our version of the rhythm track. Turned out to be a reasonable earner side-line while our band was still trying to find it's sound.

I can remember in about 89/90, I turned down an 808 and a Thorens TD160 turntable because it had a few scratches on the lid, they were both........£100 each.

:crazy: :(
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby N i g e l » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:06 pm

round about that time I turned down a Moog Source for £220.
:headbang:
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:51 pm

...and I once turned down a trio of keyboards in a bundle for (AFAICR) 400 quid.

ONE of them was a Jupiter 8...
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby IAA » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:51 pm

ONE of them was a Jupiter 8...
. :o :o :o
IAA
Frequent Poster

PreviousNext