You are here

The All-New Behringer Keyboards 'n' Stuff Thread

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: The All-New Behringer Keyboards 'n' Stuff Thread

Postby DGL. » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:02 pm

Taken from the GS thread some more titbits on teh UB/OB-Xa, including a picture of the original below it and some info from someone who must be a beta tester. Hope they dinlt mind it being reposted here.

Image removed - the hosting site made the link unavailable --ED

Sonoita @ Gearslutz.com wrote:"Basically it's actually an OB8 ("shift" gives access to "page 2" functions and more, plus a modulation matrix and sequencer (thanks to the screen, even if it's breaks the idea of an exact clone), dual as it was so bi-timbral, no effects as it was, much more patches and so on"

"You have 4 buttons on the extreme right that gives you direct access to patches"

and yes, velocity/aftertouch
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:09 pm

Here's hoping it sports the poly AT keyboard they've been teasing.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby DGL. » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:17 pm

The Elf wrote:Here's hoping it sports the poly AT keyboard they've been teasing.
Agreed, it's not like that differentiation is needed to sell boat loads of DS-80's and OB-Xa's, people will happily by both given the price they will probably be.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby DGL. » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:16 pm

And if you can't see the picture I embedded above don't worry, it's been removed from the website I embedded it from, GS still has pictures though.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby DGL. » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:25 pm

Well look who's be leant a very rare thing, a Polykobol, I would guess the only reason why they would want to have a look at one is for cloning purposes which would be excellent. They've taken some internal shots too!

DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:13 pm

We still want the DS-80 first.... :protest:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby desmond » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:42 pm

The PolyKobol is a rarity indeed! (let alone a *working* one!)

Not like those ebay listings that run: "Super rare vintage analog Korg synthesizer M1 rare as new except for the stuff that's broken and the stuff that's dirty *rare* you'll never find another one in this exact condition *buy now* roland yamaha fairlight CS80 jupiter eighties synthwave exclusive sought-after"...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby nickle15 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:39 pm

desmond wrote:The PolyKobol is a rarity indeed! (let alone a *working* one!)

Not like those ebay listings that run: "Super rare vintage analog Korg synthesizer M1 rare as new except for the stuff that's broken and the stuff that's dirty *rare* you'll never find another one in this exact condition *buy now* roland yamaha fairlight CS80 jupiter eighties synthwave exclusive sought-after"...

:lol:

Nail on the head!
nickle15
Regular

Postby Folderol » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:16 pm

Mmmmm.
Real chippery.
Much tweakery.

Looks like it would be hours of fun... Initial setup, that is :lol:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby DGL. » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:58 pm

I suppose the real interesting thing is that they are only borrowing it, well it's not like anyone would want to sell one is it and you ain't going to borrow one if you don't need one for evaluation for a potential product.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby curlybob43 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:08 am

Hi guys,

Not posted on here for a while, kind of gone back to being a bit of a lurker. I have been keeping an eye on this thread and have noticed there has not been a lot mentioned about the Pro 800. Thinking about ditching one of the dust collectors (sorry microkorg etc) and throwing the proceeds towards one when they come out. I mean, an 8 voice analog polysynth that could be a pretty close clone of a prophet for circa £500, even that's pretty crazy, right? The Pro One seemed to get a good reception and with Gligli on board seems to give it hope for me. Thoughts anyone?
curlybob43
Regular

Postby desmond » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:01 am

I can't say I ever thought the Prophet 600 was a particularly good synth, but these days, it seems anything analog seems to be droolworthy, despite what everyone thought at the time when these things were new...

Today, anything analog is automatically wonderful. Back then, there were great synths, and there were cheap synths, but there weren't that many great, cheap synths...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:43 am

curlybob43 wrote:Hi guys,

Not posted on here for a while, kind of gone back to being a bit of a lurker. I have been keeping an eye on this thread and have noticed there has not been a lot mentioned about the Pro 800.

I have no experience of the Pro 800 but it's very nice to see you posting again, it was good to see you in person at the last physical SOS meet before lockdowns started and I hope we see more of you going forward :-)
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The SOS Forum Album projects

Postby The Elf » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:28 am

Similar to Desmond, I found the Prophet 600 one of the most boring synths I've ever encountered and I see very little value in a re-make. An odd choice to throw resources at IMHO, with the world clamouring for the CS-80, OB-Xa and Jupiter-8.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby curlybob43 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:07 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:
curlybob43 wrote:Hi guys,

Not posted on here for a while, kind of gone back to being a bit of a lurker. I have been keeping an eye on this thread and have noticed there has not been a lot mentioned about the Pro 800.

I have no experience of the Pro 800 but it's very nice to see you posting again, it was good to see you in person at the last physical SOS meet before lockdowns started and I hope we see more of you going forward :-)

Thank you, likewise. Definitely will have to venture out to the next one!

The Elf wrote:Similar to Desmond, I found the Prophet 600 one of the most boring synths I've ever encountered and I see very little value in a re-make. An odd choice to throw resources at IMHO, with the world clamouring for the CS-80, OB-Xa and Jupiter-8.

I get that there are definitely other synths that justify a remake. I love the simplicity of the bread and butter analog polysynths of the era, but few seem to get a good reissue/remake in a decent form (looking at you, boutiques). The Pro-600 looks like a 'baby's first Prophet', but my favourite synths ever are the Junos, so that explains a lot :lol:
curlybob43
Regular

PreviousNext