You are here

The All-New Behringer Keyboards 'n' Stuff Thread

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: The All-New Behringer Keyboards 'n' Stuff Thread

Postby DGL. » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:33 pm

Looks like Moby is a fan of the VC340, and why not :thumbup:
https://youtu.be/nPg6kQEUXQU?t=520
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:17 pm

Huge fan of the VC340 here too, though I have zero interest in the singing robot stuff. The strings and choir are beautiful. It's a pity they saddled it with a keyboard one octave short, but they nailed the rest of it.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby DGL. » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:33 pm

The Elf wrote:Huge fan of the VC340 here too, though I have zero interest in the singing robot stuff. The strings and choir are beautiful. It's a pity they saddled it with a keyboard one octave short, but they nailed the rest of it.
I however have a love for stuff like ELO who used the vocoder quite a few times, pieces like Prologue, Yours Truly 2095, The Diary Of Horace Wimp Etc. and the VC340 has just the right vocoder sound for most uses, of course the strings are excellent as well.

Its also interesting if you wanted to make a list of string machines with factory MIDI, you would have the VC340 and... nothing else (well excluding any prototypes Behringer may have of the Solina).
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave B » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:27 pm

erm ... Waldorf STVC? Waldorf Streichfett?
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby tea for two » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:40 pm

tea for two
Frequent Poster

Postby DGL. » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:57 pm

Dave B wrote:erm ... Waldorf STVC? Waldorf Streichfett?

I'm talking about proper divide-down analogue string machines here not modern software/DSP recreations. Admittedly I forgot to put that in my post.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:18 am

The Elf wrote:Huge fan of the VC340 here too, though I have zero interest in the singing robot stuff. The strings and choir are beautiful. It's a pity they saddled it with a keyboard one octave short, but they nailed the rest of it.

It’s not good to be tempted by something that’s "almost right" that one little thing, like the short keyboard, will get to you after awhile, I’ve made this mistake thinking that I’ll get over it and adapt, but I never do, and it ends up getting sold.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:20 am

Arpangel wrote:
It’s not good to be tempted by something that’s "almost right" that one little thing, like the short keyboard, will get to you after awhile, I’ve made this mistake thinking that I’ll get over it and adapt, but I never do, and it ends up getting sold.
I got over it and adapted.

Sure, I whinge about it, but that's all it is. Searching for perfection is a soul-destroying, pointless exercise - a lifetime of disappointment. And it is often the imperfections that spark the creativity.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:53 am

The Elf wrote:
Arpangel wrote:
I got over it and adapted.

Sure, I whinge about it, but that's all it is. Searching for perfection is a soul-destroying, pointless exercise - a lifetime of disappointment. And it is often the imperfections that spark the creativity.

Keyboards, pedal boards, are the instruments hands, and feet, chop one of my hands off, or the top two octaves of a keyboard, and it’s a big deal, it’s not about seeking perfection, it’s a destruction of an instruments fundamental way of working, and its designers intentions.
No, I don’t want 3/4 octave keyboard, it’s unacceptable and unnecessary, why? just do it properly and be done with it, for gods sake! I run out of notes, then what? oh dear, I need a mother keyboard to play a "keyboard" from! :crazy:
Modern stuff has too many compromises, and we shouldn’t get used to them, just get it right and stop making excuses to save a few bob on things that are basically deal breakers for me.
"It’s good for the money" that’s another one that’s always wheeled out, I’d rather pay a bit more and get something that works.
Sorry, in a really basic mood today.

:-|
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:01 am

Show me the 4-octave version of the VC340 (and I'm not thinking of the original!) and I'll buy it!

(Though I do agree with you up to a point.) ;)
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:42 am

The Elf wrote:Show me the 4-octave version of the VC340 (and I'm not thinking of the original!) and I'll buy it!

(Though I do agree with you up to a point.) ;)

I can understand the original, in relation to the way the keyboard works with the Vocoder, that’s understandable.
We’ve got mixers saying 2402 with basically only 16 or even 12 usable inputs, cut down poly synths, mini keys, it’s just all a bit toy town for me, and sometimes just blatantly bad practice.
I sold my Reface CP recently because of it’s small keyboard, it was fine in the studio, as I connected it to something else, but there was no way I was even going to try and play it in any way at gigs, how uncool would that be, seeing a little piece of plastic on-stage, it would be like the Pinky And Perky show.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:32 pm

For true Pinky + Perky get yourself a Lumi with the lighted keys! Turn the lights down low and there is a cool factor for sure. Any producers in the crowd are bound to be impressed no matter how the music sounds. (Tongue only partially in cheek)
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Elf » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:37 pm

Arpangel wrote:I sold my Reface CP recently because of it’s small keyboard, it was fine in the studio, as I connected it to something else, but there was no way I was even going to try and play it in any way at gigs, how uncool would that be, seeing a little piece of plastic on-stage, it would be like the Pinky And Perky show.
You may be surprised. I've seen mini keyboards at quite a few gigs in the past couple of years. Crazy as it may seem to thee and me they are seen as 'cool' by many of those born after 2000!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby IAA » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:34 pm

Crazy as it may seem to thee and me they are seen as 'cool' by many of those born after 2000!

.....a bit like those of us born (much) earlier would think a Yamaha GX1 Cool?. :headbang:

Maybe Behringer could re-imagine that after the CS80? :D
IAA
Frequent Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:23 pm

The Elf wrote:Crazy as it may seem to thee and me they are seen as 'cool' by many of those born after 2000!

And my dad used to make fun of me for going out with a woman born in 1960!
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

PreviousNext