You are here

The All-New Behringer Keyboards 'n' Stuff Thread

Page 13 of 21

Re: The All-New Behringer Keyboards 'n' Stuff Thread

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:35 am
by Arpangel
Hugh Robjohns wrote:It's not a clever position to be in strategically, but the continual myopic consumer drive for 'cheaper' has played it that way...

It’s a sensitive and very serious issue, consumers (ugh) just want cheap, morals about workers and human rights don’t come into it, the Chinese have capitalised on greed, haven’t they done well! They copied our system and did it better! That rings a bell.
And now, we’re starting to get a bit uneasy about it, oh dear, but how about paying a bit more for "stuff" paying a fair price, and maybe god forbid, having less choice, but better, higher quality products produced by people who aren’t horrendously exploited.
Cheap labour forces wages down, across the board, demand for cheap products push manufactures to the limit, cutting corners and employing labour in countries that have appalling human rights records, it’s our own fault, and by doing this we are fuelling a fire that will have dire consequences for the future.

Re: The All-New Behringer Keyboards 'n' Stuff Thread

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:16 pm
by DGL.
New clone from MT's semiconductor subsidary Coolaudio, the V3397. Its supposedly an improved version of the CEM CM3396 "synth-on-a-chip".

Behringer FB wrote:Wow - imagine a complete “Analog Synth On-a-Chip”.
Our sister company Coolaudio who designs highly sophisticated semiconductors, has just released a complete voice (2 multi-waveform Oscillators, a VCF plus 4 VCAs) on a single chip. The chip is an improved version of the Curtis CM3396 and will allow us to create high-performance analog poly synths in a very compact manner. Stay tuned...

Image

Very interesting :thumbup:

Re: The All-New Behringer Keyboards 'n' Stuff Thread

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:18 am
by DGL.
Concerning the BBD-320 there is a post on GS here https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpos ... tcount=400 with a shot of the internals.

A lot of empty space with 4 PCB's, one for the power indicator and switch, one with what appears to have the main BBD circuitry and level meter, one for the front panel controls and lastly one for the I/O, PSU and mains inlet (the PSU is not a separate module from what I can see).

Re: The All-New Behringer Keyboards 'n' Stuff Thread

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:03 pm
by resistorman
DGL. wrote:Concerning the BBD-320 there is a post on GS here https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpos ... tcount=400 with a shot of the internals.

A lot of empty space with 4 PCB's, one for the power indicator and switch, one with what appears to have the main BBD circuitry and level meter, one for the front panel controls and lastly one for the I/O, PSU and mains inlet (the PSU is not a separate module from what I can see).

:D That’s about what I thought it would like in there. It would make a nice pedal!

Re: The All-New Behringer Keyboards 'n' Stuff Thread

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:44 am
by nathanscribe
resistorman wrote:That’s about what I thought it would like in there. It would make a nice pedal!

I've got the Boss DC-2w which tries to do the Dimension D thing... I'm unable to compare it directly, but as a studio bod rather than a guitarist, I'd rather have a rack that runs on higher rails. 9V boxes clip way too readily with synths.

Re: The All-New Behringer Keyboards 'n' Stuff Thread

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:14 am
by The Elf
I have both the Dimension D rack and the Dimension C pedal. The pedal is good, but it's not up to the rack. They are different creatures, with different aims.

Re: The All-New Behringer Keyboards 'n' Stuff Thread

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:53 pm
by nathanscribe
The Elf wrote:I have both the Dimension D rack and the Dimension C pedal. The pedal is good, but it's not up to the rack. They are different creatures, with different aims.

The DC-2w has a switch for both modes... the C sounds more modulated to me. I'd be interested in a direct A/B between the DC-2w and an original Dimension D. I wonder how close the circuit really is. I'd expect it just to be modulation switching from the C circuit rather than anything more fancy.

Re: The All-New Behringer Keyboards 'n' Stuff Thread

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:18 pm
by DGL.
nathanscribe wrote:
resistorman wrote:That’s about what I thought it would like in there. It would make a nice pedal!

I've got the Boss DC-2w which tries to do the Dimension D thing... I'm unable to compare it directly, but as a studio bod rather than a guitarist, I'd rather have a rack that runs on higher rails. 9V boxes clip way too readily with synths.

I do believe, however, that the voltage rails on the BBD-320 are probably around the 9V mark as the coolaudio BBD's are a lower voltage version, would need to check that data sheet to confirm though.

Re: The All-New Behringer Keyboards 'n' Stuff Thread

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:11 pm
by Hugh Robjohns
Signal clipping is all about the gain structure of the analogue input stage.

The voltage rail for the BBD is irrelevant -- the analogue input stage conditions the signal appropriately for the BBD's operating level.

Re: The All-New Behringer Keyboards 'n' Stuff Thread

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:19 pm
by DGL.
On mobile so can't post the link but Behringer on FB have been asking if they would like them to make the most desirable synth ever made.
There is a picture of an ARP 2500 underneath :o

Re: The All-New Behringer Keyboards 'n' Stuff Thread

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:34 pm
by BJG145
Please stop posting unnecessary information in this thread, I'm waiting for news of the 2600. Thank you. :tongue:

*edit*

Wait...a 2500...? Really...?

Does that make business sense...? I don't know the specs. This is the stuff of dreams.

Re: The All-New Behringer Keyboards 'n' Stuff Thread

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:10 pm
by The Elf
I'm weary of all this ground bait that Behringer are throwing in the water. It's cloudy enough here as it is.

Their time would be better spent actually delivering some of this stuff they've been promising for the past couple of years (the CS-80 and OBX spring immediately to mind), or their credibility is going to suffer.

As to a 2500... :yawn:

Re: The All-New Behringer Keyboards 'n' Stuff Thread

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:56 pm
by DGL.
The Elf wrote:I'm weary of all this ground bait that Behringer are throwing in the water. It's cloudy enough here as it is.

Their time would be better spent actually delivering some of this stuff they've been promising for the past couple of years (the CS-80 and OBX spring immediately to mind), or their credibility is going to suffer.

As to a 2500... :yawn:

Arguably they all will materialize, COVID will be hampering things but that will (hopefully) be temporary, the Ub-Xa is at the firmware stage so is quite well advanced so they are getting somewhere.

Re: The All-New Behringer Keyboards 'n' Stuff Thread

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:05 pm
by BJG145
DGL. wrote:Arguably they all will materialize.

...yeah, I think they've delivered several decent clones so far so I'm happy to forgive a bit more self-indulgence on social media.

Re: The All-New Behringer Keyboards 'n' Stuff Thread

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:06 am
by DGL.
BJG145 wrote:
DGL. wrote:Arguably they all will materialize.

...yeah, I think they've delivered several decent clones so far so I'm happy to forgive a bit more self-indulgence on social media.
If we go though the list of clones there is so far,

Deepmind 12/6 (based on the Juno 106)
Model D
Cat
Wasp
K2
PRO-1
ODYSSEY
MS-1/101
TD-3
RD-8
Some system 100 modules
Some Moog modules
The Roland SDD-320 chorus clone

Plus as was said before advanced prototypes of the 2600 and Ub-Xa