You are here

The All-New Behringer Keyboards 'n' Stuff Thread

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: The All-New Behringer Keyboards 'n' Stuff Thread

Postby Adam Inglis » Sat May 02, 2020 7:40 am

Rich Hanson wrote:There are articulations that you can do with a monophonic voice that you can't with a polyphonic one (and vice versa, of course) and requires a different approach.

Exactly. Depending on their key priority, their envelope responsiveness and the way they handle the release phase of the envelope, they force you to play a certain way that leads to different results from a poly.
Adam Inglis
Regular

Postby The Elf » Sat May 02, 2020 9:52 am

A polysynth isn't a 'better' monosynth. Try playing a portamento lead lick with a polysynth and see how it sounds!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby desmond » Sat May 02, 2020 10:19 am

The Elf wrote:A polysynth isn't a 'better' monosynth. Try playing a portamento lead lick with a polysynth and see how it sounds!

In mono-legato mode? Probably great, especially as you can hit the unison button for extra beef! :thumbup: :tongue: :lol:
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Folderol » Sat May 02, 2020 11:07 am

Oh-Oh, is this a poly/mono war developing? :?

Where's Donald (the expert on everything) when you need him?
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby The Elf » Sat May 02, 2020 11:22 am

desmond wrote:
The Elf wrote:A polysynth isn't a 'better' monosynth. Try playing a portamento lead lick with a polysynth and see how it sounds!
In mono-legato mode?
...which makes it a monosynth! :smirk:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby DGL. » Sat May 02, 2020 11:47 am

They've been asking on FB for help in naming a new synthesizer they are developing that will end up being in Eurorack format, have two oscillators plus a sub-oscillator, moog ladder filter, loads of patch points and a colourful design and have chosen the names they thought were best and will be putting a pol up to make the final decision. The winner will get one for free on release.
Also interesting is that one of the suggestions was Proton, but that idea was dismissed due to them already having a synth in the works with that name, wonder what it is, something related to the neutron perhaps as I can't think of any vintage synths with a similar name.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Sat May 02, 2020 12:10 pm

The Elf wrote:...which makes it a monosynth! :smirk:

Sure. A monosynth with the option of polyphony - which a regular mono synth doesn't have. Which makes them... *better*... :P :lol:
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby The Elf » Sat May 02, 2020 12:31 pm

desmond wrote:
The Elf wrote:...which makes it a monosynth! :smirk:

Sure. A monosynth with the option of polyphony - which a regular mono synth doesn't have. Which makes them... *better*... :P :lol:
:lol:

Hmmm... JX-3P or MiniMoog? Hmmm... :lol:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Sat May 02, 2020 12:36 pm

TRUE STORY (from the caped horse's mouth):
Rick Wakeman bought his first MiniMoog from Jack Wilde, the actor (the Artful Dodger from 'Oliver'). Jack sold it to Rick for a measley sum, because it 'was broken'.

When Rick took the synth home and tried it out he couldn't find any fault. He rang Jack and was told that "it only ever plays one note at a time". Rick explained that this was the way it was meant to be, to which Jack responded that that "is no use to me". He told Rick to keep it at the low price he'd paid.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat May 02, 2020 12:55 pm

:bouncy: :think:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Martin Walker » Sat May 02, 2020 6:39 pm

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Some people have more money than sense! ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby DGL. » Sat May 02, 2020 7:07 pm

Although looking through Rick Wakeman's album reviews he's written himself on his website that's the only time he got a good deal!, he's not always been flush with cash.
Even worse one of his albums turned out to be a tax dodge, he wasn't best pleased.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby resistorman » Sun May 03, 2020 12:57 am

desmond wrote:

In mono-legato mode? Probably great, especially as you can hit the unison button for extra beef! :thumbup: :tongue: :lol:

Ha! I‘m glad this is a good natured debate. Y’all rock.

I’m just sad so much development time and money is being spent on old ideas and technology. I have been using my LinnStrument with an ASM Hydrasynth tabletop in MPE mode, and I feel like I’m actually touching the sound. After decades of only tolerating keyboards, this is exactly what I’ve been looking for. I did unspeakable things to my guitars and basses to try and turn them into midi controllers and was never happy. At any rate, I think Behringer was off to a good start with DeepMind, but are now turning out giant mounds of “so what?” I feel that synthesizers are instruments that should lead us into the future of music, not wallow in the past.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sun May 03, 2020 6:25 am

DGL. wrote:They've been asking on FB for help in naming a new synthesizer they are developing that will end up being in Eurorack format, have two oscillators plus a sub-oscillator, moog ladder filter, loads of patch points and a colourful design and have chosen the names they thought were best and will be putting a pol up to make the final decision. The winner will get one for free on release.
Also interesting is that one of the suggestions was Proton, but that idea was dismissed due to them already having a synth in the works with that name, wonder what it is, something related to the neutron perhaps as I can't think of any vintage synths with a similar name.

How about "EuroSynth"

:D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby innerchord » Sun May 03, 2020 7:02 am

I feel that synthesizers are instruments that should lead us into the future of music, not wallow in the past.
I couldn't help but post in agreement with this, but I recognize it as a rather naive view. Synths as we know them were new then, but are now old and "classic". We need a radical new sound palette to play with!

I think I've owned or played almost every synth ever made up until the 1990's, and wish there were more new ideas and fewer reruns, and that applies to the music itself, too! A lot of the gear is undoubtedly excellent, but unoriginal. It seems to be less about innovation and more about nostalgia.
innerchord
Regular

PreviousNext