You are here

The All-New Behringer Keyboards 'n' Stuff Thread

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: The All-New Behringer Keyboards 'n' Stuff Thread

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun May 03, 2020 7:04 am

Arpangel wrote:
DGL. wrote:They've been asking on FB for help in naming a new synthesizer they are developing that will end up being in Eurorack format, have two oscillators plus a sub-oscillator, moog ladder filter, loads of patch points

How about "EuroSynth"

:D

Hmmm... "Boringer"? :tongue:
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby Arpangel » Sun May 03, 2020 7:27 am

Sorry, I should have said "EuroSynth-Pro"

:)
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Sun May 03, 2020 9:11 am

I think there's room for both.

Behringer are supplying a market, and you can't knock them for that. I never had the money back in the day to buy a VP-330, for example, but now I have have one (close enough!) sitting by my side. And for anyone who ever dreamed of owning a MiniMoog the Model D is heaven-sent.

But if you're jaded with all that then there's stuff like Summit, Hydrasynth and Osmose to keep your interest. Beyond that, take a look at the Eurorack cottage industry. Some of that stuff is so innovative it makes my head spin just trying to figure out what it does!

These are good times to be into synthesis of all persuasions. There's really no need to mourn one leg of development when all colours of it are happening around us! :thumbup:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Arpangel » Sun May 03, 2020 9:29 am

The Elf wrote:I think there's room for both.

Behringer are supplying a market, and you can't knock them for that. I never had the money back in the day to buy a VP-330, for example, but now I have have one (close enough!) sitting by my side. And for anyone who ever dreamed of owning a MiniMoog the Model D is heaven-sent.

But if you're jaded with all that then there's stuff like Summit, Hydrasynth and Osmose to keep your interest. Beyond that, take a look at the Eurorack cottage industry. Some of that stuff is so innovative it makes my head spin just trying to figure out what it does!

These are good times to be into synthesis of all persuasions. There's really no need to mourn one leg of development when all colours of it are happening around us! :thumbup:

I think all this new Behringer stuff is exciting, and I certainly wouldn’t rule out buying some of it.
But, when the chips are down, and money isn’t an issue, there is just stuff that "does it" that has absolutely no compromises sonically or aesthetically. This is a bit like the LDC microphone thread, I think that there is a large percentage of people that would agree sometimes you just have to have something that just gets on with it, something you don’t have any doubts about.
For me personally, those are on the fingers of one hand, synth wise, Moog, Buchla, and for all the other bread and butter stuff, Korg or Yamaha. As for Eurorack, I can’t get involved in that, I’ve tried it, it doesn’t work for me, a stupidly insane number of infinite options that make music your very last priority.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby nathanscribe » Sun May 03, 2020 9:46 am

innerchord wrote:
I feel that synthesizers are instruments that should lead us into the future of music, not wallow in the past.
I couldn't help but post in agreement with this, but I recognize it as a rather naive view. Synths as we know them were new then, but are now old and "classic". We need a radical new sound palette to play with!

Shocking, truly shocking. You'll both be suggesting we abandon the crumhorn next.
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Postby Arpangel » Sun May 03, 2020 10:00 am

But that’s just it, we don’t need any more new sounds or palettes, we can make any sound we imagine, and software has enabled us to go beyond what we ever thought was possible.
New sounds aren’t the answer, new ideas, are.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Sun May 03, 2020 11:39 am

Arpangel wrote:But that’s just it, we don’t need any more new sounds or palettes, we can make any sound we imagine, and software has enabled us to go beyond what we ever thought was possible.
True that. But what is also true is that genuinely new ideas are rather hard to come by, and not many people are prepared to make the effort.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby DGL. » Sun May 03, 2020 11:55 am

Oh, and according to Rik777 on GS the Proton has been in the works for a while, and been on his radar for at least 12 months.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby MOF » Sun May 03, 2020 2:02 pm

Arpangel wrote:
But that’s just it, we don’t need any more new sounds or palettes, we can make any sound we imagine, and software has enabled us to go beyond what we ever thought was possible.
True that. But what is also true is that genuinely new ideas are rather hard to come by, and not many people are prepared to make the effort.

There are so many different types of synthesis available now that I can’t think we need more so much as use a blend of what we’ve got and not stick rigidly to genre guidelines such as ‘you must use the the TR808 and TB303’.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby MOF » Sun May 03, 2020 2:11 pm

Even worse one of his albums turned out to be a tax dodge, he wasn't best pleased.

What happens if it becomes a success as in ‘The Producers’? “Springtime for Hitler and Germany”, all done in the best possible taste as Kenny Everett would say.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby MOF » Sun May 03, 2020 2:21 pm

After decades of only tolerating keyboards, this is exactly what I’ve been looking for. I did unspeakable things to my guitars and basses to try and turn them into midi controllers and was never happy

Have you looked at the JamStik midi guitars, Fishman Triple Play pickup or Jam Origin audio to midi software?
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby resistorman » Sun May 03, 2020 7:37 pm

MOF wrote:
After decades of only tolerating keyboards, this is exactly what I’ve been looking for. I did unspeakable things to my guitars and basses to try and turn them into midi controllers and was never happy

Have you looked at the JamStik midi guitars, Fishman Triple Play pickup or Jam Origin audio to midi software?

Thanks, but I have to say that I enjoy playing the LinnStrument quite a lot, and use my guitars for what they do best... sound like guitars!
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby Kwaidan » Sun May 03, 2020 9:39 pm

A new synth from Behringer, hmmm 2 oscs and a sub. Moog sub type synth, but then again some of the old Roland SH's had 2 oscs and a sub. They did show a pic once of an SH-5 they acquired a while back.
Kwaidan
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Mon May 04, 2020 8:04 am

Synthesisers now sound like synthesisers, they have become a recognisable and boring part of the musical landscape, they sound to me, just like orchestras and acoustic instruments did to me when a I was 8 years old, boring, very boring.
Back then synthesisers sounded very strange, that’s why I loved them "what is that weird sound?" it sounds like nothing I’ve ever heard.
Now I’m more interested in acoustic instruments, they are far richer in harmonics, and much more interesting, strange, it was all there in the first place, and I’ve gone full circle, simply because synthesisers have no mystique for me anymore.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon May 04, 2020 11:01 am

Arpangel wrote:Back then synthesisers sounded very strange, that’s why I loved them "what is that weird sound?" it sounds like nothing I’ve ever heard.

I reckon you really should try and get some hands-on time with a Hydrasynth. I was thinking of you yesterday actually, while messing around with mine. Some of the noises that come out of that thing are incredibly abstract and extremely complicated in terms of harmonic content and movement.

It's also a doddle to keep generating new sounds that nobody has heard before and it can do pretty much the whole range of sound, from warm and analogue to harsh digital metallic and everything in between. I've never encountered a synth like it.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

PreviousNext