You are here

Behringer 'UB-Xa'

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Behringer 'UB-Xa'

Postby The Elf » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:42 pm

In case you haven't seen:
It's a while from landing yet, but it looks superb, IMHO. Internal PSU also, from what I've been told - despite people telling me it can't be done. Let's hope they've nailed the sound.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Behringer 'UB-Xa'

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:27 pm

The Elf wrote:despite people telling me it can't be done.

I don't think anyone has said it can't be done... just that there are often seemingly valid practical or economic reasons why it's not always done.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby BillB » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:21 pm

The Elf wrote:In case you haven't seen:

You haven't been paying attention, Elf
https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... 40#p664211

How are we ever going to get the next Behringer around the houses ramble up to 80 pages if you are going to insist on creating concise single-topic discussions? :crazy:
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:50 am

I’m liking this UB-Xa already, stick with the 5 octaves.
The way things are going, you could start your very own Behringer synth museum, for the price of one genuine original.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby DGL. » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:54 am

Arpangel wrote:I’m liking this UB-Xa already, stick with the 5 octaves.
The way things are going, you could start your very own Behringer synth museum, for the price of one genuine original.

We've brought the originals so you don't have too!

and from what I understand all these vintage synths they are buying are due to end up at the German offices in Willich (the original HQ) and will be part of a free synth museum that you will be able to visit, not bad eh?
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:09 am

Thus far I haven't been that tempted by the UB-Xa, and that's not just because I really dislike the way they look ;-)

I'll keep an eye on proceedings but I'll be mildly surprised if I ever get one (still waiting eagerly for something Jupiter or CS-like tho).
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.
Please consider submitting an original track to the 2nd SOS Forum Album project!

Postby The Elf » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:00 pm

Don't be put off by the looks, mate. If this has 'that' sound you will be able to forgive it *anything*!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:53 pm

The Elf wrote:Don't be put off by the looks, mate. If this has 'that' sound you will be able to forgive it *anything*!

I'll keep an open mind, but I'll have to be pretty impressed. I know it has a self-oscillating 24dB filter option and 2 voices more polyphony, but are there other differences of note to look out for between it and a DSI OB-6?
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.
Please consider submitting an original track to the 2nd SOS Forum Album project!

Postby BillB » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:12 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:I'll keep an open mind, but I'll have to be pretty impressed. I know it has a self-oscillating 24dB filter option and 2 voices more polyphony, but are there other differences of note to look out for between it and a DSI OB-6?

I'm guessing cost might be one....
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave B » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:06 pm

I guess if you're an OB6 owner, it would come down to something like 'do I want it live?' If the answer is 'yes' then I'd spring for an UBXa for live rather than take the OB6 out as I wouldn't shed a tear if I trashed a Behringer, but would be inconsolable if I broke the OB6.

So I would be interested. It would depend on the sound though,
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:33 pm

All the above makes sense. If I didn't have an OB-6 (and I too would be inconsolable were something to happen to mine Dave!) then I think I'd be a lot more tempted by the UB-Xa but I'll see what sort of noises come out of the holes on the back once it's in the hands of a few users and more youtube demos emerge.

I think my lack of excitement is also because I've got higher priorities for gear spend, but who knows, maybe it will appeal more once I've heard it.

Not that it would be a dealbreaker if I did decide to get one, but it is aesthetically one of the ugliest synths I've ever seen. The OB-Xa got away with it due to its physical presence and different profile, but on the bland Behringer design it just looks cheap and tacky. I get I'm probably in a minority :tongue:
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.

Postby The Elf » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:53 pm

I liked what I heard of the OB6, but yes, price (hopefully) - and a 5-octave keyboard - make the UB-Xa a potentially more viable live player.

Woldn't it be nice if they'd fitted it with their newly developed poly aftertouch keyboard, too? ;)
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby vcfvca » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:06 pm

OB-6 is a different synth to OB-XA. Filter is based on the 2-pole SEM state variable and also has cross mod based on the Prophet 6.

The OB-Xa used Curtis chips, same as many synths like Prophet 5 rev 3. The UB-Xa will use Curtis chips and have a 2/4 pole filter. The big feature was Split and Layers. I also think they are going to implement Cross Mod which was dropped on the OB-Xa.

Although the SEM filter is special I wish the OB6 was bi-timbral. I also wish it had an LCD screen - I lost so many patches as I could never remember where they were stored. I have the same problem with the P6. I now do a sysex dump at the start of all my projects.

I dont really miss the OB6 but its interesting that it commands a far higher price than the P6 in Europe/UK. I will be hanging onto my cash and hoping the 5 Octave UB-Xa comes out in the next 12months. I reckon it will sell for around £1299.
vcfvca

Postby IAA » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:13 pm

Dang :headbang: just bought the Arturia OBX a. Mind you it was £1250 cheaper than that!
IAA
Frequent Poster