You are here

USB to MIDI in/out cable with *sockets*?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: USB to MIDI in/out cable with *sockets*?

Postby ef37a » Sat May 09, 2020 12:23 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Fair enough...

Personally, I'd make up some patch boxes with x number of MIDI sockets on, to place near each group of keyboards, and run a data multicore back to a patch pay or USB MIDI interface.

I did something similar years ago. Son's keyboards were one end of the room and the interface (BCA2K then) the other, 12 feet ATCF. The keys came up to a breakout box with 3 DINs and went off via a shielded CAT cable* round the room to a similar BO tin on the wall above the Berry. Another cable run got MIDI to and from another box handling the ports from a 2496 card. It all worked swimmingly.

Were I doing it all again I would do similar basing things on RJ45 jacks.

*CAT 7 in fact as I had 100mtrs of experimental scrap cable but CAT boggo will do for MIDI and audio.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Sat May 09, 2020 12:26 pm

Clever idea, Hugh.

The specific purpose for this cabling is just to get a wired (no extra PSU/boxes) MIDI-over-USB connection between iPad and laptop. A simple USB cable doesn't work (as ever with Apple involved...), so I'm going:
iPad => Lightning to camera connection kit => USB/MIDI => MIDI/USB => laptop.

The connections work - I just want to tidy up the cabling as far as I can. It's a 'one cable' (with a few lumps in it) connection, which suits the aim to simplify my live rig.

You can see why extensions don't really help in this scenario, and why a USB/MIDI interface with sockets (and the other with plugs) would be preferable.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby ef37a » Sat May 09, 2020 12:30 pm

Oh! Go'orn Elf! get some cable and make up some precise, custom MIDI cables.

Soldering DIN plugs is great exercise in temper control!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Sat May 09, 2020 12:32 pm

ef37a wrote:Oh! Go'orn Elf! get some cable and make up some precise, custom MIDI cables.

Soldering DIN plugs is great exercise in temper control!
Oh, trust me, mate. I've been there. Neither my patience, nor my eyes are up to the task any more! :lol: :headbang:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat May 09, 2020 2:53 pm

The Elf wrote:I'm going:
iPad => Lightning to camera connection kit => USB/MIDI => MIDI/USB => laptop.

Ah. I see the problem.

So you either need a cable with female Din plugs at each end, or -- if the interface cables are long enough -- to hack the male plug off one interface and replace it with a female socket.

I've found short female-female Din cables, at 0.2 and 0.5 metres. How long do you need?

https://www.amazon.com/Ancable-Extender-Coupler-Olufsen-Powerlink/dp/B07CDW2FHZ
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby The Elf » Sat May 09, 2020 5:56 pm

I've avoided having to define a length by getting some of those cheap back-to-back female/female barrel adaptors. That means I can pick and choose from my collection of normal plug-to-plug MIDI cables.

I think I'm sorted! :thumbup: :)
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat May 09, 2020 9:44 pm

Understood! :thumbup:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby The Elf » Sat May 30, 2020 9:37 am

Finally got those back-to-back MIDI sockets.

I can report that a pair of Mio cables with these sockets in line works. So if anyone else is also looking for a '1 cable [with joints!]' solution for connecting iOS MIDI to/from a computer this seems to be a viable option.

I'm actually now considering opening up the line-lumps in the cables and soldering a pair of Mio cables together directly - which should result in an even simpler connection chain.

I'm slightly surprised that nobody has identified the need for this cable and is making one off the shelf. What I'm doing here isn't exactly esoteric. Anyone wanting to send MIDI between an iPad and computer would benefit.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Sat May 30, 2020 10:51 am

It does seem to be a remarkably obvious thing to do, and going through the optocouplers (both ways) gives you excellent isolation too.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Martin Walker » Sat May 30, 2020 1:32 pm

Folderol wrote:It does seem to be a remarkably obvious thing to do, and going through the optocouplers (both ways) gives you excellent isolation too.

Yep, I went through this conumdrum a couple of weeks ago when I wanted to connect my lovely new Yoshimi Pi to my PC (in this case USB A at both ends, but once again MIDI to MIDI).

I found it hard to believe that the only products I was finding (and Folderol himself gave me a link he'd tracked down) were so expensive:

https://reverb.com/uk/item/5920963-midi ... rs-via-usb

£60 for MIDI to MIDI via USB? :headbang:

Eventually I remembered that I still had an iConnect MIDI device in my cupboard that I'd used with my iPad yonks ago, and that turned out to work perfectly. Once again an expensive option if you've got to buy one specially for the purpose, but it did add various extra standard MIDI DIN in/outs to my setup, as well as a further eight USB MIDI I/Os if I plug in a powered USB hub.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat May 30, 2020 2:07 pm

Martin Walker wrote:
Folderol wrote:It does seem to be a remarkably obvious thing to do, and going through the optocouplers (both ways) gives you excellent isolation too.

Yep, I went through this conumdrum a couple of weeks ago when I wanted to connect my lovely new Yoshimi Pi to my PC (in this case USB A at both ends, but once again MIDI to MIDI).

I had the same issue when I was stuck in Holland :)

As resources were limited to what happened to have handy, I ended up plugging my little Keystep USB keyboard into the Yoshimi-Pi, and the audio outputs from my Yoshimi-Pi into the audio inputs on the computer.

This of course meant no MIDI sync with the Pi and that proved surprisingly challenging to work with, especially as the computer I was using at the time had issues with audio in general.

USB MIDI is brilliant when all set up with a DAW in the middle to sync and control everything but at the risk of repeating myself (and Martin) again, I do think it was a significant failing that when USB MIDI came along trivial device-to-device communication was effectively dismissed, especially given that it was such a central tenet of conventional MIDI use.

I've had to built two separate 'networks' for MIDI in the studio; one all USB, the other all DIN, and I've got a Kenton USB Host MkII (a wise impulse-buy at the last Synthfest!) floating about in there to patch in if necessary to bridge between the two.

At the very least I think the standard should have dictated that connecting two devices together using a double-ended type A cable should be the equivalent of using a pair of DIN cables for the same purpose, and a 'USB MIDI thru' port would have been great to see manufacturers adopt.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Previous