You are here

Moog Subharmonicon

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: Moog Subharmonicon

Postby Arpangel » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:41 pm

The Moog Matriarch is on my list now, looks really good, my Grandmother may be up for sale soon, but that’s going to be a tough decision.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Durr GaGa » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:43 pm

......and now with knobs on! :bouncy:

I bought this set of knobs for the sequencers while I was awaiting delivery of the Subharmonicon as I was not that keen on the appearance of the stalks that the instrument comes with as standard. However, I didn't fit them immediately as I soon realised that they would obscure the screen-printed graduations. After a week of experimenting I decided that this is very much a 'hands-on' instrument and choices are made not so much by the accurate positioning of the various pots but by how the selections 'sound'.

So, here is my lovely Subharmonicon with some new knobs that not only increase the control resolution but to be honest, because they look good too and, sadly, that is a consideration for me :oops: Yes, I know, I'm a tart .........

Durr GaGa
Regular

Regards,

Steve
www.nightskyimages.co.uk

Postby Ian Shaw » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:25 pm

So I've bought one. The music store had a new batch in which were selling fast so I took the plunge

Certainly a time killer & makes me think differently from the usual setup of a synthesiser. Things can get out of hand pretty quick but learning my way around it slowly. So far I've managed to create some kind of chiptune thing with it in Bitwig. Not a genre I would usually dabble with but it's fun at least.

It really does't like Logic's Midi sync, but is bang on with Bitwig.

I can see this is just the beginning of the modular road. How on earth people keep track of things with a ton of modules patched up is beyond me

Ian
Ian Shaw
Regular
Sent by carrier pigeon

Postby Durr GaGa » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:55 pm

So I've bought one. The music store had a new batch in which were selling fast so I took the plunge

Congratulations on your purchase, Ian and welcome to the slippery slope! I have had some great fun with mine and when you find a 'sweet spot' it really can be magical. I even managed to produce something akin to the music you hear at a Ceilidh which was not something I had ever thought I would be producing with it!

Of course, now you need a DFAM and a Mother 32 and one of those three tier racks....... and ........... :lol:
Durr GaGa
Regular

Regards,

Steve
www.nightskyimages.co.uk

Postby sumehr » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:31 pm

Got two noob questions if someone's willing to help
1) the proper way to turn it off is just to turn off the power source?
2) how come the patches never sound the same even though they've been left as is once booting up again?
sumehr

Postby Ian Shaw » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:32 pm

Durr GaGa wrote:

Congratulations on your purchase, Ian and welcome to the slippery slope! I have had some great fun with mine and when you find a 'sweet spot' it really can be magical. I even managed to produce something akin to the music you hear at a Ceilidh which was not something I had ever thought I would be producing with it!

Of course, now you need a DFAM and a Mother 32 and one of those three tier racks....... and ........... :lol:

I fear you may be right :think:
Ian Shaw
Regular
Sent by carrier pigeon

Postby Ian Shaw » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:33 pm

sumehr wrote:Got two noob questions if someone's willing to help
2) how come the patches never sound the same even though they've been left as is once booting up again?

1) Yes

2) That's the joy of analog!
Ian Shaw
Regular
Sent by carrier pigeon

Postby Ian Shaw » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:52 pm

Here's a little sweet spot I found: https://www.dropbox.com/s/t243t8qea0x2z0z/subway.wav?dl=0

Synced up to & recorded into Bitwig With reverb by Arturia Intesity
Ian Shaw
Regular
Sent by carrier pigeon

Postby sumehr » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:03 pm

Ian Shaw wrote:
sumehr wrote:Got two noob questions if someone's willing to help

1) Yes

2) That's the joy of analog!

Hahaha my first synth, ever, induction with fire, thank you!
sumehr

Postby sumehr » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:17 pm

Running into some issues with the MIDI input from a DAW, when it's connected up to Ableton, the tempo works okay, can send midi notes etc all fine however when I press play to record it for the first time I get one quick 16th note which throws the pattern out of time for the rest of the recording and then deal with it in post, not exactly ideal when jamming with it. Anyone else facing a similar issue?
sumehr

Previous