You are here

Euclid, Turing, and Boole walk into a bar ... (modular synth/generative composition content)

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: Euclid, Turing, and Boole walk into a bar ... (modular synth/generative composition content)

Postby Ben Asaro » Mon May 18, 2020 4:19 pm

Another step forward in this patch today. Added the Din Sync Amnesia to the first sequencer which re-clocks the sequencer, further altering the melodies.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/5HBbx1zNVP5gkdD78
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Re: Euclid, Turing, and Boole walk into a bar ... (modular synth/generative composition content)

Postby Martin Walker » Mon May 18, 2020 8:12 pm

Hi Ben,

This is turning into a fascinating discussion, and I'm enjoying listening through all your hardware experiments.

Like others here, I'm also intrigued by Nodal, although I can see that to produce 'real' music you need quite complex nodal arrays.

I certainly liked this demo, and enjoyed watching the logic in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo

Looking forward to hearing more, both from Ben and Nodal 8-)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby CS70 » Mon May 18, 2020 8:53 pm

Not sure if this is the right place but anyways:

Euclid, Turing, and Boole walk into a bar.
Boole is speaking loudly and excitedly: "I tell you, I tell you! Everything is either true or false!"
Euclid rolls his eyes and turns to the barman "Not again! Bartender, please give me a straight drink!"
The barman looks at Turing and says "Are they always like that, these two?"
Turing raises his head, sighs, looks back and replies, "I wish I knew. Nobody can ever say when they will halt".

:beamup:
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Ben Asaro » Mon May 18, 2020 10:35 pm

Martin Walker wrote:Hi Ben,

This is turning into a fascinating discussion, and I'm enjoying listening through all your hardware experiments.

Like others here, I'm also intrigued by Nodal, although I can see that to produce 'real' music you need quite complex nodal arrays.
It's surprisingly easy to set up Nodes that not only start in unison, also only start when other nodes are at a specific state. Even the simplest Node with 5 points can be made to be very complex with just a few bits of logic added. It's actually very intuitive to use.

This song from my last As Follows Album uses Nodal for the main Moog synth; it's running through a Space Echo which creates some unusual harmonies. Warning: this song is quite experimental except for the verse and solo section in the very middle of the song, https://soundcloud.com/as-follows/megalith-book-vi

I certainly liked this demo, and enjoyed watching the logic in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo

Looking forward to hearing more, both from Ben and Nodal 8-)
Yes, that's a pretty cool composition.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Tue May 19, 2020 5:23 pm

Today's efforts are solely focused on getting a complex rhythm where I can cut percussion elements in and out to make it more or less dense. This now uses the lion's share of Euclidean Circles, with 4 of the 6 trigger outputs being used for percussion. I loaded Pico Drums with a shed load of African percussion samples that I got from Ghosthack. I multed on of the outputs so it goes to Pico Drums and also to Branches. From Branches it goes to the 808 open and closed hi hats, so there is a random element between open and closed hi hat accents.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yEzBAEVLdR5rgEqy8

Next up: the second generative synth voice!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Wed May 20, 2020 1:56 am

:thumbup:
Martin Walker

Postby Ben Asaro » Wed May 20, 2020 5:39 pm

Well, after days of careful experimentation, building/tearing down/re building, I added the second generative melody to the patch today. For this voice I am using
Equclidean Circles
2hp Turing Machine
Disting Mk 4
Erica Synths sequential switch
Studio Electronics Oscillation
Intellijel Quad VCA
Doepfer SEM filter

I took three outputs from the SSF Modbox, sync'd it to the master clock, and ran them out to the WORNG Vector Space for some complex modulation of the PWM input on Oscillation. I ran another output from Vector Space to the Probability input on the Turing Machine.

I am happy with my current results and will now start experimenting with an arrangement. I also have it sync'd with the MC-500, so I may layer in some sequenced synths as well; will have to see how it all sounds.

Enjoy!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZPCMdY1iTf3o2j5eA
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Wed May 20, 2020 6:23 pm

I LIKE that a lot Ben!

I can already hear in my head a much slower developing melody/pad floating over the top of this riff 8-)

Looking forward to hearing it in full fidelity with the bass end intact.

Keep up the good work!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Ben Asaro » Wed May 20, 2020 6:28 pm

Thanks, Martin! Yup, still more work ahead shaping it into something useful.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Thu May 21, 2020 3:55 pm

Ben Asaro wrote:I am happy with my current results and will now start experimenting with an arrangement. I also have it sync'd with the MC-500, so I may layer in some sequenced synths as well; will have to see how it all sounds.

Enjoy!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZPCMdY1iTf3o2j5eA
Whoah there! You can't go using modulars to play actual tunes! The world will surely end.
;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu May 21, 2020 5:27 pm

It's definitely shaping up and that looks like a very fun setup for jamming on :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby Ben Asaro » Fri May 22, 2020 12:45 pm

blinddrew wrote:Whoah there! You can't go using modulars to play actual tunes! The world will surely end.
;)
:D
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Fri May 22, 2020 12:47 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:It's definitely shaping up and that looks like a very fun setup for jamming on :thumbup:
Thanks, Eddie! It's been a fun experiment, for sure. I'll be diverting my attention to my new prog epic for the next few days, my goal is to have this song completed by month's end and I've only got 6 minutes completed thus far!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat May 23, 2020 3:45 am

Ben Asaro wrote:I've only got 6 minutes completed thus far!

Chin up man! 5% isn't bad! :tongue:

BTW listened to the 18:24 version of "Foundation Tetralogy Prologue" today. Twice, back to back, in its entirety. It cheered me up no end and we need more of same in our lives. I'm trying to weave elements of similar vibe into my current project, taking inspiration from it while in no way being derivitive :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby Ben Asaro » Sat May 23, 2020 3:59 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:
Ben Asaro wrote:I've only got 6 minutes completed thus far!

Chin up man! 5% isn't bad! :tongue:
lol fer realz! It's up to a more respectable 9 minutes at the moment, and I think it needs one more section before I call it done.

BTW listened to the 18:24 version of "Foundation Tetralogy Prologue" today. Twice, back to back, in its entirety. It cheered me up no end and we need more of same in our lives.
Wow, thanks so much for the kind words, I really appreciate it. I'm definitely more of a writer/arranger than virtuoso, which is funny considering that prog is typically the providence of the virtuoso!

Oh, you may be interested to know this, or you may have figured it out, but that song uses the same chord progression over and over again. My concept was to mimic actual entropy by having a progression that goes slower and slower as the piece progresses. What was unique about that song was that it's in the key of B Major, and I retuned my guitar so that it was in B Major open tuning; made it a real challenge to figure out the chords and play leads, which I think in part led to it's rather up-front and unorthodox guitar tone, which to me is just on the edge of being jagged.

I'm trying to weave elements of similar vibe into my current project, taking inspiration from it while in no way being derivitive :thumbup:
Nice! I try to do the same -- the inspirations for my stuff is pretty plain to see, I make no bones about hiding it, but I TRY to use it as a launching pad into my own interpretation. I get through it with varying degrees of success lol. :)

Really looking forward to hearing what you're cooking up as well!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

PreviousNext