You are here

I’m back in modular...

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

I’m back in modular...

Postby Arpangel » Mon May 18, 2020 7:28 am

It’s official, as official as ordering an Arturia 84HP Rack Brute.
84HP is a lot to me now, I only intended on getting 48, but the Brute is nice, it fits in ergonomically.
It’s just going to be another free running generative sound source, using mainly Doepfer modules, I’m out of the trendy stuff, with graphics like hieroglyphics, all I want is cheap simple stuff, with knobs, and function labelling that my fading eyesight can read.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: I’m back in modular...

Postby CS70 » Mon May 18, 2020 10:22 am

My man, you swing harder than a Las Vegas rollercoaster ! But it makes life interesting I suppose :thumbup:

Wish u loads of fun.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Arpangel » Mon May 18, 2020 11:32 am

CS70 wrote:My man, you swing harder than a Las Vegas rollercoaster ! But it makes life interesting I suppose :thumbup:

Wish u loads of fun.

Studios are like randomly changing jigsaw puzzles of ultimate complexity, change one element and it alters the whole picture. So the decisions you make one day can be irrelevant the next. And sometimes I make decisions that aren’t suitable, and it’s not until I step back and act like I’ve made them, even though I haven’t, that I can see their potential effect. This can lead to lots of questions here that sometimes become irrelevant.
I now treat studios like growing organic things that have a mind of their own, I just don’t care anyone, just get something, put it in the earth, and see if it grows, if it doesn’t, it’s not important, it’s a continual process of experiment and discovery.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Mon May 18, 2020 11:59 am

:thumbup:
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby zenguitar » Mon May 18, 2020 12:42 pm

The rack brute is a beautiful piece of kit. I have the 6U version with an awful amount of space to fill in due course.

Have fun :thumbup:

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Arpangel » Mon May 18, 2020 6:11 pm

zenguitar wrote:The rack brute is a beautiful piece of kit. I have the 6U version with an awful amount of space to fill in due course.

Have fun :thumbup:

I’m having heavenly dreams about a Morphagene, feeding my piano and my partners operatic vocals into it, I’m feeling very positive about this.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby zenguitar » Mon May 18, 2020 7:17 pm

You have a lot of fun Tony. :thumbup:

zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Martin Walker » Mon May 18, 2020 7:18 pm

Well judging by your previous record of producing real music that's enjoyable, I'm looking forward to hearing what you produce on this modular Tony :thumbup:

I just hope your enthusiasm lasts the course ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Arpangel » Tue May 19, 2020 10:03 am

Martin Walker wrote:Well judging by your previous record of producing real music that's enjoyable, I'm looking forward to hearing what you produce on this modular Tony :thumbup:

Martin

I'm OK Martin, I’ll stick with it, trouble is, my comrade in arms, the Marimba man, has been ill with the virus, so getting together is out for the forceable future.
So I’m on my own for now, looking forward to getting this box set-up, it’s going to be based around sampling and chaos modules, I want it to be electro-acoustic based, rather than purely electronic.
I’m going to sample my partners voice into the Morphagene, and I’ve got a huge set of bass wind chimes, they are so beautiful, it’s going to be fun miking those up and sampling them.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Wed May 20, 2020 12:50 am

Sampling, chaos, treated vocals and bass wind chimes :o

Wow - I'm really looking forward to hearing what you come up now, with that lineup of sounds 8-)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Agharta » Wed May 20, 2020 1:35 am

Me too. Will you be sticking it on MySpottyFaceTubularCloud?
Agharta
Jedi Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed May 20, 2020 2:23 am

Bass wind chimes?
Whoa - can’t wait to hear those!
This might be a tiny bit of synchronicity but a few hours ago I was talking to a maintenance guy who deals with the sewage lagoon upkeep we are hooked up to. They replaced some pipes, meaning they now had some 8 foot long by at least 6 inch diameter aluminum (aluminium, ok I know) pipes to dispose of. I was lusting after them because they would make monster wind chimes properly drilled and suspended.
But the maintenance guy reminded me of what used to flow through them and that they could be dangerous as some of them still had an interior coating of residue.
Bummer.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Wed May 20, 2020 7:03 am

Martin Walker wrote:Well judging by your previous record of producing real music that's enjoyable, I'm looking forward to hearing what you produce on this modular Tony :thumbup:

Martin

You don’t know how much comments like this keep my enthusiasm up Martin, thanks.
These are the wind chimes, except that ours are the next size up.
We saw them in our local garden centre and it was love at first boing!

:thumbup:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NATURES-Aureole-MELODY-approx-65-inch/dp/B00ZCKURN8/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Natures+melody+large&qid=1589954552&sr=8-1&srs=5508227031

ManFromGlass, go for it, aluminium piping is fairly cheap new, and you can make them any size you like! Or, you could disinfect and pressure wash those ones you were offered? You’d have to wear suitable protective clothing too.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Wed May 20, 2020 5:54 pm

Wow - bet those sound great Tony.

At 65-inches the lowest one should sound stunning - I've got a reasonable collection of wind chimes (both inside and out), and my longest one is only 36 inches ;)

According to one of the user reviews on that Amazon link, your tubes are around 2-inches in diameter too. Really looking forward to hearing them in due course!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Martin Walker » Wed May 20, 2020 5:56 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:This might be a tiny bit of synchronicity but a few hours ago I was talking to a maintenance guy who deals with the sewage lagoon upkeep we are hooked up to. They replaced some pipes, meaning they now had some 8 foot long by at least 6 inch diameter aluminum (aluminium, ok I know) pipes to dispose of. I was lusting after them because they would make monster wind chimes properly drilled and suspended.

No doubt you could strike them for some lovely low tones MFG, but I somehow doubt that they would make useful 'wind' chimes, as you'd need a lot of wind to give them much of a 'clang' ;)

There must be another wind-like connection you could make though, with a suitably large weighted scoop of some description that would gain enough energy from air movement to play them properly.

Martin
Martin Walker

Next