You are here

Subharmonicon vs Subsequent VCOs and VCFs?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Subharmonicon vs Subsequent VCOs and VCFs?

Postby Superstellar » Wed May 27, 2020 12:43 pm

Hi there!
I’m looking to stop using VSTs and step in full analogue synths. Looking for that rich organic moog bottom end, I’m thorn between the idea is starting a small modular setup with a Subharmonicon centerpiece or jump to a Subsequent37 / Matriarch synth.

To make a choice, I can’t find if the oscillators and filters are similar in the Subharmonicon and in the Seunsequent? If they were, I would probably go for the Subharmonicon.

I’m average at signal routing and processing so either way is technically fine for me.

Thanks!
Superstellar

Re: Subharmonicon vs Subsequent VCOs and VCFs?

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed May 27, 2020 1:18 pm

The oscillators in the Subsequent and the Subharmonicon are very different.

The oscillators in the Subharmonicon are probably not that suitable for use as 'normal' oscillators, rather they are suitable for complex evolving sound-sources based on the generation and modulation of subharmonics derived from a fundamental frequency.

I would not use the Subharmonicon as the starting point for a modular setup unless you're after that kind of sound. A Behringer Model D or Pro-1 makes more sense if you want to go down the modular route.

The Subsequent 37 uses a standard subtractive synthesis model and as such is likely to be more useful to you, although it is very 'self contained'.

The Matriarch would probably be a better bet if you want to combine (now or later) with other semi-modular or modular gear, as it has a generous number of patch points.

It's not cheap though, so it may be a better bet to try out one of the semi-modular Behringers along the lines of a Model D, Pro-1, Neutron or similar first. In terms of analogue oscillators and filters they are probably the best bang for the buck, and you can always add something else larger and more expensive to the setup later once you're happy that it's the right direction for you to take.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby Superstellar » Wed May 27, 2020 1:38 pm

Thank you very much for this thorough reply, Eddy. It’s incredibly useful! I’ll have a look at the models you mentioned.
Superstellar

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed May 27, 2020 6:14 pm

You're welcome. Feel free to follow up with any other questions once you've looked into the various options :)
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby Rich Hanson » Wed May 27, 2020 6:30 pm

I can definitely recommend the Neutron as a good place to start - gets you off to a flying start with all its patch points.
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Thu May 28, 2020 8:05 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:A Behringer Model D or Pro-1 makes more sense if you want to go down the modular route.

Eddy is completely right, the Model D is a very cheap way into getting that "Moog sound" and I’d go as far to say that it’s a better buy that a Sub37 or any of the other cheaper Moog's, the D will give you all you need. I had one here alongside my Mini Moog, and it really was surprising how good the D was.
The Moog sound isn’t all about bass though, it’s chracter is there all the time, it’s thick, creamy, smokey, super smooth, just a lovely sound, whatever you do,
I always say that a Moog is like an acoustic instrument, it’s so rich.
The Grandmother, or Matriarch are good buys too, and they have "it"
I got a Grandmother and it’s a great little keyboard, I use that with my modular, as a controller too.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby nathanscribe » Thu May 28, 2020 12:03 pm

Even at the low end of budgets, there are loads of options these days. Nobody's mentioned the Arturia Microbrute yet, but it's a solid little synth with some good features. It won't sound like a Moog, it has its own character, but it's a handy little unit and can be patched to some extent with other devices when you get to that stage.

I don't personally get along with the Behringer Model D, but that's down to my own preferences. It can make some good sounds, I just find the design a bit clumsy. Quite different to a vintage Mini, which feels like furniture - so I'd also suggest it's not just the sound that matters but whether you get along with a piece of gear. You can only know by trying stuff out, really.

Vermona are very good, too. I don't know their small budget synths very well, but I believe they've done a couple of desktop monos that are reputed to have a good creamy bass going on?
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
I have no idea what I'm doing.