You are here

Modular prices.

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Modular prices.

Postby Arpangel » Thu May 28, 2020 9:00 am

I’ve been out of Modular for a couple of years now, just getting bak in, blimey, I’m noticing a distinct price rise since then.
Doepfer used to be a good staple, but not now, bread and butter modules that were around £60 are now nearer £90, and Make Noise have had a major price hike too.
I’m not even considering new modules anymore now, it’s got to be secondhand.
I’m only after a handful, but when I added up the new cost of what I need it’s horrendous, and they aren’t anything special either.
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4303
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Modular prices.

Postby blinddrew » Thu May 28, 2020 10:22 am

I've noticed a significant price increase on a whole host of stuff, I think we're beginning to see the impact of the shut down on chinese factories at the beginning of the year.
Hopefully it will be a short-lived blip.
At least until we hit brexit at the end of the year. :(
User avatar
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10547
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am
Location: York
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: Modular prices.

Postby resistorman » Thu May 28, 2020 4:11 pm

Yeah, most of my purchases are second hand. The good thing is that it seems most modular addicts, including me :shocked: tend to swap modules out on a regular basis. On the other hand, Behringer is coming on strong. You could put something like a Crave in a rack and have most of your basic needs covered and add in some cool esoteric stuff as money allows.
User avatar
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 916
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:00 am
Location: Asheville NC

Re: Modular prices.

Postby Arpangel » Thu May 28, 2020 7:26 pm

resistorman wrote:Yeah, most of my purchases are second hand. The good thing is that it seems most modular addicts, including me :shocked: tend to swap modules out on a regular basis. On the other hand, Behringer is coming on strong. You could put something like a Crave in a rack and have most of your basic needs covered and add in some cool esoteric stuff as money allows.

Thanks for the tip, secondhand is also the way to go.
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4303
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Modular prices.

Postby resistorman » Fri May 29, 2020 3:24 am

Actually, I was wrong, the Crave is desktop only. However, for $100 more the neutron is and has more useful stuff, though no sequencer.
User avatar
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 916
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:00 am
Location: Asheville NC

Re: Modular prices.

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri May 29, 2020 3:39 am

I've spent half the evening searching for the operational details of a few modules I have here and which I am not familiar with. I'm relatively new to modular in practice, if quite experienced in the theory of synthesis.

I've got a 6U Arturia Rackbrute, now fully populated and a 104Hp Moog case, half populated. Neither are screwed in yet, I'm still working out the arrangement that works best. I'm not that impressed with the Moog case tbh, as its relatively shallow depth at the front is a something of a compromise and rules out housing a lot of Doepfer modules especially.

I'm considering getting a second Rackbrute, into which I would insert my Model D and Mother 32 synths as wide modules, and install the Pro-1 into the Moog case, then fill the remaining slots with utility modules.

Decisions decisions... but I'm getting there, slowly :-)
User avatar
Eddy Deegan
Moderator
Posts: 4360
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am
Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.
 

Re: Modular prices.

Postby Arpangel » Fri May 29, 2020 6:38 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:I've spent half the evening searching for the operational details of a few modules I have here and which I am not familiar with. I'm relatively new to modular in practice, if quite experienced in the theory of synthesis.

I've got a 6U Arturia Rackbrute, now fully populated and a 104Hp Moog case, half populated. Neither are screwed in yet, I'm still working out the arrangement that works best. I'm not that impressed with the Moog case tbh, as its relatively shallow depth at the front is a something of a compromise and rules out housing a lot of Doepfer modules especially.

I'm considering getting a second Rackbrute, into which I would insert my Model D and Mother 32 synths as wide modules, and install the Pro-1 into the Moog case, then fill the remaining slots with utility modules.

Decisions decisions... but I'm getting there, slowly :-)

I have a 3U Rackbrute, and that’s that. I’ve been down this particular Rabbit hole and back again, and don’t intend to revisit. What I did learn is that in reality there is nothing to learn!
You can get all sorts of deranged and obsessive people giving you advice like...

"you must have VCA's, you’ll die a horrible death if you haven’t got enough attenuators, you mustn’t have a Clouds otherwise you’ll end up creating loads of pointless reverb soaked drones, and above all, you "must" own a Maths, if you don’t you’re doomed to failure"

Just a selection of what I’ve been told, at various times.
All rubbish, I’ve got a rack full of random modules and delays, and it’s great, works for me, my advice is just do what you think works for you too, follow your instinct, I wish I had done so when I first started with modular.
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4303
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Modular prices.

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri May 29, 2020 12:56 pm

Arpangel wrote:I have a 3U Rackbrute, and that’s that. I’ve been down this particular Rabbit hole and back again, and don’t intend to revisit. What I did learn is that in reality there is nothing to learn!
You can get all sorts of deranged and obsessive people giving you advice like...

"you must have VCA's, you’ll die a horrible death if you haven’t got enough attenuators, you mustn’t have a Clouds otherwise you’ll end up creating loads of pointless reverb soaked drones, and above all, you "must" own a Maths, if you don’t you’re doomed to failure"

Just a selection of what I’ve been told, at various times.
All rubbish, I’ve got a rack full of random modules and delays, and it’s great, works for me, my advice is just do what you think works for you too, follow your instinct, I wish I had done so when I first started with modular.

That makes a lot of sense. I'm sure I'll add more modules later but currently I have plenty to be getting on with (I got most of them in one batch from a friend who gave up modular and basically gave me a box of them).

I'm going to worry less about understanding all the implications of the signal flow up front. They look fine to me so I'll just plumb them in as is and get on with the "playing around" part... I think I've prevaricated for too long already!
User avatar
Eddy Deegan
Moderator
Posts: 4360
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am
Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.
 

Re: Modular prices.

Postby Ramirez » Fri May 29, 2020 1:34 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:I'm not that impressed with the Moog case tbh, as its relatively shallow depth at the front is a something of a compromise...

Yes. I had to take a Dremel to mine in order to fit an Expert Sleepers ES-3.
(Another case wasn’t really an option as its part of a 3-tier Moog with a Mother 32 and a DFAM)

This modular business is indeed quite expensive. I’ve just got a handful if modules to complement the M32 and DFAM, so I’ve got it under control, but when you look at building complete voices from modules it gets silly. When you consider the cost of separate VCO, VCF, VCA. step-sequencer and LFO modules, for instance, then something like the Mother 32 looks like great value if your head’s in Eurorack-space, even if you don’t add other modules. But when you look at the Mother 32 just as a single voice desktop synth, it seems a tad overpriced if anything.

It’s a weird Schrödinger’s cat type paradox where something is simultaneously great value and overpriced.
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1099
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:00 am
Location: Bethesda, Cymru
www.stiwdiosain.cymru

Re: Modular prices.

Postby zenguitar » Fri May 29, 2020 1:54 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:I'm considering getting a second Rackbrute, into which I would insert my Model D and Mother 32 synths as wide modules, and install the Pro-1 into the Moog case, then fill the remaining slots with utility modules.

Decisions decisions... but I'm getting there, slowly :-)

I have been thinking about racking things like the Berry Model D and Pro-1 when I get them, but it does seem rather wasteful of expensive Rack space. That's why I was interested in your review of the AMS stands. Their Micro Tower M likes like a nice home that type of module beside a Rack Brute.

https://www.obelisquedesign.co.uk/ams-s ... wer-range/

Andy :beamup:
User avatar
zenguitar
Moderator
Posts: 10133
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 1:00 am
Location: Devon
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Re: Modular prices.

Postby BillB » Fri May 29, 2020 3:09 pm

zenguitar wrote:That's why I was interested in your review of the AMS stands.

What did I miss?
BillB
Frequent Poster
Posts: 941
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2003 12:00 am
Location: East Yorkshire

Re: Modular prices.

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri May 29, 2020 3:36 pm

zenguitar wrote:I have been thinking about racking things like the Berry Model D and Pro-1 when I get them, but it does seem rather wasteful of expensive Rack space. That's why I was interested in your review of the AMS stands. Their Micro Tower M likes like a nice home that type of module beside a Rack Brute.

https://www.obelisquedesign.co.uk/ams-s ... wer-range/

Yes that does look very nice! A couple of small things to consider are that you still need a separate power supply (and mains socket) for each device and the difference in lengths between the Mother 32, Model D and Pro-1 are quite significant. Well, the first two are pretty close but the Pro-1 is a lot longer.

I think I'll probably end up Euroracking them ... I do have some mounting rails and a spare power supply or two so I expect it'll be a 9U affair that's the length of the Pro-1 (or thereabouts).

I can't say that figuring out the optimum arrangement is a bad problem to have though :D
User avatar
Eddy Deegan
Moderator
Posts: 4360
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am
Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.
 

Re: Modular prices.

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri May 29, 2020 3:37 pm

BillB wrote:
zenguitar wrote:That's why I was interested in your review of the AMS stands.

What did I miss?

https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... 27&t=72148 :)
User avatar
Eddy Deegan
Moderator
Posts: 4360
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am
Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.
 

Re: Modular prices.

Postby zenguitar » Fri May 29, 2020 4:09 pm

Good point about power requirements. Although not necessarily appropriate for those modules, when I do get around to putting everything together I'm considering adding one or two of these to my order when I get the Studiospares cable tester...

https://www.studiospares.com/Cables-Lea ... 574430.htm

Could make mains cabling a lot neater.

Andy :beamup:
User avatar
zenguitar
Moderator
Posts: 10133
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 1:00 am
Location: Devon
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Re: Modular prices.

Postby Random Guitarist » Fri May 29, 2020 9:44 pm

Those stands look very nice. But the cheapskate in me is thinking I could buy the aluminium section and fittings from a cheap chinese website and make a custom rack. That section is ubiquitous and cheap, and available in beefier sizes if needed.
Random Guitarist
Frequent Poster
Posts: 687
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:00 am
Location: West Sussex UK
I've never liked a solo violin, you need at least five for a proper fire.

Next