You are here

Modular prices.

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: Modular prices.

Postby blinddrew » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:44 pm

Arpangel wrote:And I don’t want to hear that lame excuse "coronavirus" and that’s obviously going to get wheeled out a lot to justify unwarranted price rises from eggs to synths.
You've got to be realistic here. You can't shut down the largest manufacturing base in the world for three months and not expect a knock-on effect on the market.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Arpangel » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:50 am

blinddrew wrote:
Arpangel wrote:And I don’t want to hear that lame excuse "coronavirus" and that’s obviously going to get wheeled out a lot to justify unwarranted price rises from eggs to synths.
You've got to be realistic here. You can't shut down the largest manufacturing base in the world for three months and not expect a knock-on effect on the market.

But, you could say that business has been booming, people stuck at home, nothing to do, ordering mountains of stuff on-line, I know I for one have never bought so much gear as I have in the last three months.
No retail shops to manage, or staff to pay, just warehousing, it’s a wonder they even want to go back to all that stuff.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:12 pm

I suspect your situation is maybe not as common as you think. Most of my friends are buying some small things but generally they're trying to put money away to help brace for recession and redundancy.
None of which makes any difference to the supply side of the equation...
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Arpangel » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:27 pm

blinddrew wrote:I suspect your situation is maybe not as common as you think. Most of my friends are buying some small things but generally they're trying to put money away to help brace for recession and redundancy.
None of which makes any difference to the supply side of the equation...

Yes, there is that side of the coin, I don’t know what I’m bracing myself for? The future!!!

:o
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby steveman » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:58 am

blinddrew wrote:
I'm not convinced the price increases are solely due to Coronavirus. Eurorack has been getting noticeably more expensive over the last few years, not just months. While there are many more complex digital modules around now (hello Morphagene), a lot of analogue modules seem to have moved into similar price ranges.
Not suggesting there's price gouging but it seems that since the market has grown, there's an acceptance of higher prices. I see many of the 'starter' systems people ask for advice on Muffwiggler are often £3-4k!
steveman
Regular

Postby Ben Asaro » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:09 pm

$2500 - $3000 USD does seem to be the average cost for 6U/104 hp worth of modules. A 3U/104 hp skiff will run about half of that depending on power supply. My modular is currently 12U/104 hp and is probably 25% second hand modules, which sometimes constitute a savings, sometimes not. Now that Reverb charges sales tax, many times it’s easier for me to get the module brand new from Perfect Circuit or Control than to pay for second hand.

An single subtractive synth voice with skiff and power supply is $1000 USD, easy.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Previous