You are here

Rhodes sound, it’s all in the production.

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: Rhodes sound, it’s all in the production.

Postby Wurlitzer » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:02 am

That's another argument against a real Rhodes then.
Wurlitzer
Regular

Postby Sam Inglis » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:06 pm

baward wrote:I'm sure Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles would have smelled a 'fake' a mile off!

There's a bit in, I think, Phil Ramone's autobiography about a session that he did with Ray Charles shortly before Ray died. Ray asked for a click track at a particular tempo, and Phil put it in the headphones. Ray listened for a few seconds and said "are you sure that's 110bpm?" or words to that effect. Phil checked and it was 1bpm out...
Sam Inglis

Postby N i g e l » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:08 pm

Arpangel wrote:It’s weird, when I play my Reface CP from its very inadequate little keyboard, it sounds, and feels, so much more of a complete playing experience, it feels direct, and responds very well, so much so I’m forgetting the small keyboard.
When I play it from my full size my master keyboard it just looses it completely, it feels disconnected, not quite there, it’s disconcerting.

1st -a telling off :protest: : The Reface keyboard is very good for a mini keyboard. If it was fully weighted, 88 key, hammer action, it wouldnt fit in my suitcase and would put me over the baggage weight allowance !

I just played my Reface CP from my weighted workstation KB and compared it .
Yes you are right, it is very subtley different to playing the Reface direct or the workstation direct.

The Reface internals will be tailored to the mini keyboard response, so not surprising they are a good match. Can you adjust the keyboard response on your master keyboard.
They generally have several settings, linear, light, heavy curve up , curve up curve down...etc

MIDI DIN is quite slow. If you play a 4 note chord + 1 bass alltogether, it will take ~ 3 1/2ms before the last note sounds.
I have noticed when lining up audio tracks that > 5ms makes an audible difference to the timing.

This is quite interesting as when playing synth sounds with a slow attack, I will naturally compensate with the timing [such that Im doing NOTE ON before the beat .
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:33 am

N i g e l wrote:
Arpangel wrote:It’s weird, when I play my Reface CP from its very inadequate little keyboard, it sounds, and feels, so much more of a complete playing experience, it feels direct, and responds very well, so much so I’m forgetting the small keyboard.
When I play it from my full size my master keyboard it just looses it completely, it feels disconnected, not quite there, it’s disconcerting.

1st -a telling off :protest: : The Reface keyboard is very good for a mini keyboard. If it was fully weighted, 88 key, hammer action, it wouldnt fit in my suitcase and would put me over the baggage weight allowance !

I just played my Reface CP from my weighted workstation KB and compared it .
Yes you are right, it is very subtley different to playing the Reface direct or the workstation direct.

The Reface internals will be tailored to the mini keyboard response, so not surprising they are a good match. Can you adjust the keyboard response on your master keyboard.
They generally have several settings, linear, light, heavy curve up , curve up curve down...etc

MIDI DIN is quite slow. If you play a 4 note chord + 1 bass alltogether, it will take ~ 3 1/2ms before the last note sounds.
I have noticed when lining up audio tracks that > 5ms makes an audible difference to the timing.

This is quite interesting as when playing synth sounds with a slow attack, I will naturally compensate with the timing [such that Im doing NOTE ON before the beat .

Yes, Midi latency is a big problem, and it’s often ignored.
I’ve managed to get a reasonable response from my master keyboard by lowering the velocity response to virtually zero, I still have expression, but the Reface feels more "solid" more connected.

I’ve finally found my ideal Rhodes sound (Hugh!)
Surprisingly it's the standard sound in my Mellotron app, it’s totally amazing, I’ve got it mapped to the mod wheel on my keyboard, so I can move from solo Rhodes, to a hint of trombone on one side, and vibes on the other, it’s totally magical.
I’ve got to get a hardware Mellotron, this is a total revelation. The Rhodes is so dirty, so expressive, totally beyond.
I need some advice on the best Mellotron to get, and it has to have that Rhodes sound.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Atheen » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:34 pm

I had a Rhodes back in the day and always found Yamaha samples to be the closest to the actual sound and feel.

If you haven't checked out the free Chick Corea Mark V Montage / MODX library yet it's worth a listen, definitely got that bite that lots of Rhodes sounds are missing - https://eu.yamahamusicsoft.com/synth/ch ... retail_en&
Atheen

Postby Arpangel » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:12 pm

Atheen wrote:I had a Rhodes back in the day and always found Yamaha samples to be the closest to the actual sound and feel.

If you haven't checked out the free Chick Corea Mark V Montage / MODX library yet it's worth a listen, definitely got that bite that lots of Rhodes sounds are missing - https://eu.yamahamusicsoft.com/synth/ch ... retail_en&

Oh no, not good for me, I heard took the trouble to listen to this video in the studio, that sound is so artificial at the top end, if this is symptomatic of the Montage, then Im not impressed. I'm guessing it's just that bank, as I've heard so much better from the Montage.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Previous