You are here

How do I make the bass sound on Rhapsody’s Power (ft Kendric Lamar)?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

How do I make the bass sound on Rhapsody’s Power (ft Kendric Lamar)?

Postby Abuwabu » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:39 am

Hi guys

I’ve always had a penchant for dirty twisted bass sounds that fit nicely in the mix (like Muse’s Time’s Running Out, for example).

Can anyone give me any pointers as to how to recreate the sound of the bass sound in Rhapsody’s track Power (ft Kendric Lamar) that kicks in around the 15s mark?
Abuwabu

Re: How do I make the bass sound on Rhapsody’s Power (ft Kendric Lamar)?

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:34 pm

Hello Abuwabu, welcome to the forum :)

The bass sound is actually two quite distinct timbres playing together. The first is the low, 'smooth' sound which is present from the start of the track.

Going from my 'quick listen' I'd say this could well be a real electric bass, mixed fairly low. As such if looking for a preset on a synth to start from in order to reproduce it I'd be looking for things such as 'picked bass' or 'legato bass' to get a shortlist of similar sounds to work from.

The second timbre, which kicks in a little later, is the 'distorted buzzy' element. It's a little harder to say what this was originally, but I reckon it's a similar sound (could even be the same sound) but processed heavily with a distortion plugin, and many of the bass frequencies removed from the result.

There are many distortion plugins around, many of them free or available on free trial. I'd start with a legato or picked electric bass (if you really can't find any of them, then a simple sine wave would probably suffice), then take a copy of it, distort the copy heavily (there is a hint of a 'megaphone' type filter there also to my ears), filter the bass out of it and then mix the two together.

You may have to experiment quite a lot but it should be doable with any half-decent synth or soft-synth and a distortion plugin or two.

The kick drum has a solidity to it also, which makes the bass seem heavier than it really is, so be aware of that.

We get a lot of requests here on how to make a certain sound and we try to help out as much as we can but it bears repeating that often due to the post-production work done during mixing and mastering the sound you hear on the final result may be different to a greater or lesser extent than the sound that would be heard when recording it.

I'm also a fan of finding your own sound, as opposed to trying to reproduce someone else's, but of course having some idea of how they did it is useful knowledge in any case.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Re: How do I make the bass sound on Rhapsody’s Power (ft Kendric Lamar)?

Postby Abuwabu » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:58 pm

Thank you Eddy.

I'm now really looking forward to the weekend. Guess what I'm going to be doing?
I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge.
Abuwabu