You are here

Mixing with MIDI

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Mixing with MIDI

Postby Moroccomoose » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:27 am

Hi all.

I am using a hardware sound module for orchestral sounds. The romper operates with 3 stereo pair outputs and I am using them to feed three different pre delays for reverb depending on the instrument's location in the pit. The point being that I don't have individual control of each instrument audio volume for mixing. All the MIDI and audio is running through Cubase 10.

The problem comes when I try to mix using the MIDI fader. Each Instrument has a volume profile during the performance for string swells and such like. I want to raise and lower the whole performance profile so I can mix the performance. Adjusting the MIDI fader overwrites the performance profile.

I could render each individual instrument to its own audio track, and mix the audio, but that kind of defeats the point of using the rompler and to my mind unnecessarily increases the project file. Is there a way I could set the fader or use a VCA to create a volume multiplier or offset so I can adjust the volume relative to the performance volume?
Moroccomoose
Regular

Re: Mixing with MIDI

Postby The Elf » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:47 am

Depending on the module, if it is well-designed it will respond differently to CC7 (volume) and CC11 (expression). You should be able to set overall volume with CC7 and create 'performance' swells and fades with CC11. CC11 should also be pre-effects, allowing you to fade into the patch's delay/reverb.

Unfortunately many manufacturers are lazy about CC7/11 and either make them do the same thing, or don't respond to CC11 at all.

So try CC7/11 in combination.

Be aware that you'll get a finer degree of control if you do render to audio - you only have 127 steps with MIDI. Sometimes you will hear those steps, especially if you get too busy with CC activity.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Rich Hanson » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:52 am

In addition to what Elf says, I would recommend recording to audio so that if you no longer have access to the module for whatever reason, you still have all the music available.

I've been burned by that before!
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Elf » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:55 am

+1

I can see the reasoning for sticking with MIDI during composing and arranging, but you do need to render to audio at some point.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby James Lawford » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:14 pm

Doing this a lot albeit the Rompler and other VI’s are within my DAW.

Definitely use MIDI for what it’s good for such as being able to edit individual note velocities, timing and pitch, then use the audio output (or rendered audio) to raise and lower passages and also automate stuff like effects sends and other plugins.
James Lawford
Poster

Postby Moroccomoose » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:16 pm

Okay, I'm hearing you! gotta print stems and mix them.

Thanks for the input chaps! I see in the cubase export dialogue box there is an option to add the stems as new audio tracks in the project. This is quite neat as it means I don't have to have those tracks set up in the template.

Cheers,

Stu.
Moroccomoose
Regular

Postby The Elf » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:59 am

'Render in place' is even easier than mucking about with export!
The Elf
Jedi Poster