You are here

Garritan, Mac OS Installation ???

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Garritan, Mac OS Installation ???

Postby pianoworldstage » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:18 pm

Hi

I intend purchasing Garritans CFX Concert Grand, will there be any issues downloading to Mac OS Catalina 10.15? As Garritan has stated there is no tech support for Mac OS Catalina 10.15.
pianoworldstage
Regular

Re: Garritan, Mac OS Installation ???

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:02 am

Given that Garritan themselves specifiy a range of supported OS versions, specifically 10.10 - 10.14 on their System Requirements page, I think this is a question you should ask them directly.

People here may or may not have had positive experiences with versions outside of the specified range but unless you ask the vendor specifically there is no guarantee that you'll have the same result as other users of the plugin.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.
Please consider submitting an original track to the 2nd SOS Forum Album project!

Postby pianoworldstage » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:17 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:Given that Garritan themselves specifiy a range of supported OS versions, specifically 10.10 - 10.14 on their System Requirements page, I think this is a question you should ask them directly.

People here may or may not have had positive experiences with versions outside of the specified range but unless you ask the vendor specifically there is no guarantee that you'll have the same result as other users of the plugin.

That's interesting! because Time & Space the distributer I'll be using for the CFX, confirm their System requirements are Mac OS X 10.7 - 10.12 or later. As you suggested i will need contact both dealer's for confirmation prior to purchase.
pianoworldstage
Regular

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:45 am

pianoworldstage wrote:... Time & Space the distributer I'll be using for the CFX, confirm their System requirements are Mac OS X 10.7 - 10.12 or later. As you suggested i will need contact both dealer's for confirmation prior to purchase.

I believe that to be the most sensible approach, but please do share any relevant information you get in reply as I think it would be beneficial to future readers also :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.
Please consider submitting an original track to the 2nd SOS Forum Album project!

Postby DanielBeach » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:44 pm

I've just had to roll back my MacOS to Mojave in order to reinstall GPO4. It's not so much that the products won't necessarily work under Catalina, more that the installers and licence activation don't work under it.

So, I would double-check with them, as I'm currently halfway through day two of reinstalling all my software.....

Daniel
DanielBeach
Regular
Daniel Beach
----------------
Logic Pro X 10.5, Yamaha MODX8 keys, NI Komplete 12, AmpleSound Guitars, various other software!

Postby pianoworldstage » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:12 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:I believe that to be the most sensible approach, but please do share any relevant information you get in reply as I think it would be beneficial to future readers also :thumbup:

On another site I've interacted with othere users who confirm their running the CFX library on the latest macbook pro with an up to date OS Catalina 10.15. no problem.

Will share feedback on this topic once updated.
pianoworldstage
Regular

Postby pianoworldstage » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:06 pm

After contacting T & S tech support regarding the CFX library, their response was, Garritan has not yet announced compatibility for macOS 10.15 Catalina. Do not upgrade until officially supported by Garritan.

I suppose that means I'll have to downgrade from Catalina to OS 10.14. Mojave. Why has Garritan not updated the CFX installation pack to be compatibal with OS Catalina 10.15 ?
pianoworldstage
Regular

Postby bigster » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:53 pm

It's really unfortunate that Garritan hasn't officially brought CFX up to date - it's still one of the best libraries out there and it's in danger of appearing orphaned.

However, I installed and authorised my copy on a 16" MacBook Pro (which had shipped with Catalina) back in January this year, using the downloadable installer from my makemusic account, and encountered no difficulties. I've since used it for several big projects and it's been rock solid. I use it in Presonus Studio One and find the dedicated VST player plug-in works perfectly. The Audio Unit has various graphics glitches, but it's not clear if that's the fault of the plug-in or S1's AU support in this instance.
bigster
Regular

Postby pianoworldstage » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:41 am

bigster wrote:It's really unfortunate that Garritan hasn't officially brought CFX up to date - it's still one of the best libraries out there and it's in danger of appearing orphaned.

Well said.. still i think I'll heed their advice and wait until they have updated their support for CFX.
pianoworldstage
Regular

Postby pianoworldstage » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:58 am

Just to clarify, this was Garritans message on updating Catalina.

Currently, macOS 10.15 Catalina is not considered within the system requirements for the Garritan Instrument libraries. We are continuing to do testing with these libraries on this OS and will provide more information as it becomes available. While we do not expect any critical issues if you upgrade to Catalina, we are currently unable to provide support for Garritan libraries on this OS.

There is only one known issue which is exclusive to the CFX Concert Grand and the CFX Lite libraries. Users may encounter an issue where the installer may hang during the installation process and fail to complete. Situations where the library is already installed may not encounter any issues, but be aware that if the need to reinstall arises, this issue then may affect any reinstall attempts.

However you mention installing the CFX on a Macbook Pro using Catalina with no vulnerable issues. I must say it's tempting to go ahead with the installation?
pianoworldstage
Regular

Postby IanFu » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:13 am

Hi guys, in case anyone is still having problems:

I came across the above post after purchasing CFX Lite and running into the install problems. Same problem as everyone else with no support on Catalina and the installation freezing when I tried. I've just succeeded in installing it, which could just be luck, but I wanted to drop this series of steps here in case it helps someone.

Downloaded and ran pkg to install onto Macbook Pro main drive with sample library on a separate portable HD.
Install failed, froze whilst copying and uncompressing data.
Force quit of 'install' dialog as 'close' not working.
Rest of installation then completed succesfully.
Tried using in Ableton and it loaded but no sound.
Tried using in standalone player and again loaded, but no sound.
Authenticated the software, which was accepted, but still no sound.
Closed all apps.
Moved downloaded file to the portable drive.
Ran the pkg again to install, and installation completed with no errors.
Ran standalone player and CFX Lite works in full with no need to authenticate again.

Not sure if any of the above steps helped or if it was blind luck that it installed for me. That there was no sound is logical since the installation of the samples was what failed and if they aren't there, then... no sound.

Moving the installation file to the portable drive may have helped as that has worked for me previously with other installation errors on different software (possibly to do with inheriting permissions during install?).

Irrespective, it's now working for some reason and hopefully the above helps someone else who makes the mistake of buying software before searching every music forum they can find, just in case there's a problem :cry:
IanFu